Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Outside door step question

Our door step is not staying out when the key is off. I realize I have a switch above the driver seat to control this, but it does not matter at this point.
This is a recent thing, normally it works properly, but now it seems like the system doesn't know that the key is off.
After an overnight key off situation the step operates properly.
Anyone have this happen to them?
2012 King Aire
Thanks, Ricky
RickyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There is a ground wire thru the door switch that needs to be cleaned periodically because road salts, dirt, water works its way under the spade clip screw into the chassis frame where ever its mounted on frame.
If you clean it make sure your body is not under step, may operate and crush you.
After cleaning paint or spray battery terminal paint to protect it till next time.
There also is a short green wire out of control and screwed to one of its mounting screws, the heavy green wire should not cause a problem.
Link to step information is in the TECH INFORMATION link in my signature below.
Many more things in this link.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:37 PM   #3

Coastal Campers
Thanks for the reply. I would think a poor ground on the outside wold keep the step from working completely. The step DOES work, just that it retracts when the key is off and the switch above the driver seat is activated. Normally with the key off and the switch activated, the steps should stay out.. At least they work !!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the door closed, switch above you activated, the steps move out, when you turn ignition key the steps move in, correct, but not all the time.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #5

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
With the door closed, switch above you activated, the steps move out, when you turn ignition key the steps move in, correct, but not all the time.
Exactly..
1. The way it normally works, is when the key is on and door is closed steps are always retracted (switch has no bearing on this) then door opens and steps extend.
OR,
2. With the key off and switch off, steps work as if the key is on (same as above)
OR,
3. With the key off and switch activated, steps stay extended regardless of door position.

So my current situation is key off, switch activated and steps still react with door opening and closing, as if they system doesn't know that the key is off..
So in my opinion, the ground wire shouldn't be an issue here..
Somewhere the steps, or step controller think that the key is on, even though it's off...
Old 07-28-2019, 07:43 PM   #6

I agree with 007. Bad ground connection somewhere.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #7

I haven't had this problem with my Newmar, but have had it with my Chinook. In the Chinook's case, there are contact "buttons" inside the door frame that tell the system when the door is open or closed. They're very simple brass bullet-shaped spring-loaded contacts. When the door is completely closed, the buttons touch -- and complete an electrical circuit. If they are dirty, they won't complete the circuit -- so the system assumes the door is open.

All I had to do was use some electrical contact cleaner on both sides of the brass "bullets" and everything worked again.

I imagine the Newmar system is similar. There must be some contacts somewhere that let the system know when the door is open or closed. Hopefully all they need is some cleaning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door