RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Outside TV

when I turn on the TV inside it also turns on the outside TV?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
Is your remote for both TV's the same? Are both TV models the same? Is your remote an RF capable remote with an FCC sticker on the back? If so it is likely strong enough that the outside TV is seeing the signal and thinks you mean to turn it on. I think you can change a setting on an RF (radio Frequency) remote to change it to IR (infrared) mode so it has to be pointed t the TV. This way the outside TV wouldn't 'see' it and not turn on.

Ted

Old 09-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

Thanks Ted I'll have to check
Old 09-03-2014, 09:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
I'm confused. Are you asking "if" it does..... or "why" does it?
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gary......Your one remote will turn on all of your TV's. We usually watch the 40" above the dash, but noticed one night I was seeing some flashing from behind the fireplace where there is a TV on a televator. That TV came on when I turned the front TV on.

One night while watching TV late, I muted the TV up front and could still here a TV. I went outside and found that TV on. I'm guessing the neighbors loved it.

Here is what I did.....Stanley (tool company) sells a set of three wall plugs that you plug into an outlet and then plug the TV into that. It has a remote that allows you to turn that outlet on and off. It's a more technical version of the "Clapper".

I just got them yesterday to keep things turned off when we boondock. I installed one on the outside TV because it was hard to reach the plug under the sink and disconnect when not in use and one on the microwave. I don't like having the microwave on when boondocking. Now I can remotely turn on the things I rarely use without having to plug them back in.

Surprisingly, Harbor Freight sells the plugs.

I use our DirecTV remote to turn on the front TV and I try and make sure I'm not near the TV behind the fireplace.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #6

Don, good idea. Our Tv did the same thing. One night we were laying in bed and turned off the bedroom Tv to go to sleep...we kept hearing people taking, it was eal faint but they sounded like they were right outside next to our RV. I looked outside and didn't see anything, it was around midnight and I thought it was just the neighbors talking. I finally went outside and checked things out only to find all the close campsites with lights out, I still heard the talking and finally opened the Outside TV storage area and the TV was on...we hadn't even used it on this particular trip. We had a good laugh......
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I operate my LR and over dash TV's with the RF remote from my DTV Genie. Lately, I find it's about impossible to turn on the televator TV without firing up the over-the-dash TV. I don't think the Sony TV's speak RF, so it has to be seeing an IR signal from that remote. But the dash TV receives a signal even if I discreetly place my body between the remote and TV when turning it on. How does it do this?

Never have checked the basement TV...hope it's not also on.....
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Something else to consider.

The way our Ventana is wired is that the HDMI source signal is connected to a HDMI splitter that sends the signal to all the TVs. The benefit and in this case, the disadvantage of the way HDMI works is that if a source (i.e. SAT or DVD) is sending a signal to the TV, it will turn on automatically. There are settings on the TV to change this. That may be why they all come on.
johnnysfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
If the plug is easily accessible why not just unplug the outside tv when not in use?
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I operate my LR and over dash TV's with the RF remote from my DTV Genie. Lately, I find it's about impossible to turn on the televator TV without firing up the over-the-dash TV. I don't think the Sony TV's speak RF, so it has to be seeing an IR signal from that remote. But the dash TV receives a signal even if I discreetly place my body between the remote and TV when turning it on. How does it do this?

Never have checked the basement TV...hope it's not also on.....
Slab

There should be a "Vacation" switch on the side of the Over the Dash TV. I keep that turned off except when we use it. This stops the accidental turn ons.

I believe all Sony TVs have a power switch (Usually at the top) on the side of the tv where all the channel and volume buttons are. Turning this Power button off disables the TV until it's turned back on.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:01 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
No switch on the side of my Bravia, but I did manageto solve the problem. Go to "settings", followed by "setup", go to" Bravia Sync. Settings", then turn "TV Auto Power On" to "OFF". Ptoblem solved!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Awesome!