Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 06:12 AM   #1

Over weight on rear axle

I have very little cargo capacity in my home. 1400#s

I知 over 100#s on the rear axle with full fuel and empty water and sewage tanks. The rear bays are empty except water hoses and a tiny house vacuum.

I have 4 adults as my adult sons travel with us. (Special needs.).

Yes, I made the mistake of not reading the actual vehicle placard before purchase. I was told 2500# cargo capacity....turns out that is not entirely accurate..

So, short of buying a different coach, any ideas on how to move the weight forward? I知 still 400 #s light on the front axle. We do travel very light as we are weekend campers.

I do pull a Jeep and put things in it to lighten the back axle weight.

Also, (coach is winterized so can稚 check it now) if I fill the water tank, will that weight go evenly onto both axles or more on one than another in your experience?

Is there a way to legally increase cargo capacity? Bigger tires, springs, etc...

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #2

The answer is NO. Once the weight has been established by the manufacturer, it can't be legally changed.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post

I知 over 100#s on the rear axle with full fuel and empty water and sewage tanks. The rear bays are empty except water hoses and a tiny house vacuum.

Yes, I made the mistake of not reading the actual vehicle placard before purchase. I was told 2500# cargo capacity....turns out that is not entirely accurate..

So, short of buying a different coach, any ideas on how to move the weight forward? I知 still 400 #s light on the front axle. We do travel very light as we are weekend campers.

Also, (coach is winterized so can稚 check it now) if I fill the water tank, will that weight go evenly onto both axles or more on one than another in your experience?

Is there a way to legally increase cargo capacity? Bigger tires, springs, etc...

Thanks
The newmar brochure lists your rear axle GAWR at 13500# and NCC at 2836#, that NCC number would be for a completly stock unit with no upgrades or options installed.

What options or mods have added weight to the back?

Brochure: https://newmar.imgix.net/wp-content/...hure-combo.pdf
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #4

The MH when leaving the factory gets weighed and that information is on a sticker in the MH.. .rather than guessing what the brochure says take a photo of that sticker and post it or, put the pertinent weights on the forum for others to see.....That is where I would start. I am not sure if there is a standard such as full of gas, Propane or other fluids ... but it should show up on that sticker.
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Yarddroid,
How was the coach weighed?

Newmar usually places the water and waste tanks so the weight is balanced between the front and rear axle. You have done the best you can by moving things forward. Considered traveling with only the water you need until you get to a CG full hookups. Yes putting things in your toad is a good way to lighten the load on the coach.

For the weight you describe, I would not worry about it. When Ford builds the chassis they plan for a tolerance. Keep the PSI in the tires correct based on the weight you are carrying. FYI, the fuel tank is not full for very long. Being behind the rear axle, a full tank will add considerable weight to the rear axle.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Yarddroid,
How was the coach weighed?

Newmar usually places the water and waste tanks so the weight is balanced between the front and rear axle. You have done the best you can by moving things forward. Considered traveling with only the water you need until you get to a CG full hookups. Yes putting things in your toad is a good way to lighten the load on the coach.

For the weight you describe, I would not worry about it. When Ford builds the chassis they plan for a tolerance. Keep the PSI in the tires correct based on the weight you are carrying. FYI, the fuel tank is not full for very long. Being behind the rear axle, a full tank will add considerable weight to the rear axle.
Actual numbers off the paperwork. (I was using my memory...perhaps not the most reliable....)
GVWR: 20500
UVW: 18750
CCC: 1645

Weighed on a CAT scales
Front: 6720. Allowed 7500 I think
Rear: 13760 allowed 13500 I think
Total 20480

So I知 ok overall.

Full fuel, 4 adults, food for 4 days, 1/3 water

Good point about the fuel. Coach is certified with full fuel. So even leaving the factory, she be pretty heavy on the rear axle.

I run 95 psi in all tires. 100psi being the max. Sticker calls for 92 psi. Tire wear is normal and even at 10000 miles
Old 10-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When your coach is completed at the factory, Newmar weighs it and produces a documnet with the weights, including added options. Send Newmar an email and get teh exact numbers. You can compare your figures to what it weighed when it came off the line.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #8

Less than 2% over weight on the rear axle is not the end of the world. You should be able to shift a few things around and move some of that to the front axle.

What the coach weighed when leaving the factory is pretty much irrelevant at this point. What it weighs now is the issue.
Old 10-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Less than 2% over weight on the rear axle is not the end of the world. You should be able to shift a few things around and move some of that to the front axle.

What the coach weighed when leaving the factory is pretty much irrelevant at this point. What it weighs now is the issue.

Agree that this is not a significant weight overage, I just try to follow the rules.

We are carrying very little cargo. The rear bays and closets are basically empty. (Only hoses) We only travel with empty tanks except 10 gallons of water. There is simply nothing left to move forward.

I think my error is buying this floor plan on a lighter chassis. It would have been fine with just two adults, but that extra 300 pounds sitting on the couch puts us over is all. (I actually have a 1000#s less cargo than the brochure suggests)

The only options that would have mattered weight wise that I can see is the rear window and ac unit.

I do see a lot of motorhome (class Cs mostly) traveling with quite a bit of overhang past the rear axle. I suspect I知 not the only one with weight issues..:-)

Anyway, does not appear to be an easy solution. Maybe hang a new Harley off the front to pry the rear up a bit! (Just joking)

Appreciate the input everyone!
Old 10-13-2019, 07:52 AM   #10

Agree you should get the weights as delivered, if for no other reason you’ll know what the starting point was. It has good information such as Gross Axle Weights, total weight, side weights. It also include a figure for a driver. I also agree that the addition of the second AC and the window accounts for the extra weight. Maybe not all the overage, but I suspect both are carried by the rear axle.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarddroid View Post

Thanks
You can get the weight changed but it would be cheaper to buy a new MH. The certification process is brutal.

Tags
weight