Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Overhead Fans Switch

I have a new Mountain Aire 4330, and I discovered that the overhead fan switch only operates when the key is engaged. I would like to use these fans while parked to increase circulation in the salon area, especially on the front windshield.

Has anyone modified this switch to install a direct (fused) line thus enabling their use without the key? If so, have you any thoughts or recommendations for me to consider?... I appreciate any input....
Caluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fans are probably operational through the ignition switch because if you forget to shut them off could run down your starting batteries. On low mine are very quite.
Nothing is stopping you from feeding off the dash switch direct to your batteries through a fuse off fuse panel.
It maybe now feeding off ignition side of fuse panel and would just have to move lead to fuse location on hot side of panel not controlled by ignition switch.
Congrats on your new MA safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I notice that you seem to have extensive knowledge about several Newmar models, and I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question regarding rewiring the overhead fans switch.
I have located the fuse location for these fans, but i cannot figure out how to gain access to the power wire, or even determine which color wire goes to the fans. Have you any suggestions as to how I might accomplish what you suggested? I can see the fuse, but the fuse panel is flat curcuit board, and I cannot figure out how to re-direct the power line to a fused non-ignition power source. Accessing this line from the dash panel inside seems to be a much more complex job (having to remove the dash panel facing). I would like to avoid that if I can get access to the proper power line from the outside cabinet fuse panel. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance, Bill C
Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The fuse will have the wire to switch in one of the slots the fuse plugs into.
If you take a meter and read the two slots one will be dead no power to meter and other slot will read 12 volts.
The slot that reads no voltage should be the wire to switch.
If you have some spare fuse slots that you do not have a option and it is alive with 12 volts, with ignition key switch off, you can jumper a wire to the location of original fuse off ignition switch that is wire to switch to fans.
A auto store sells a fuse jumper wiring kit so you can plug into wire slot than to your new live fuse location.
You would need two blue wire spade clips for jumper wire from new fuse location to wire slot to fan switch wire slot on fuse panel.
The wires to accessories are on the back of fuse panel no need to find that wire just need slot of fuse holder for wire termination.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Wow! what a simple solution... thanks again!!