RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2019, 05:25 PM   #1

Overpass marking

Ok first Iím sorry for not knowing and wasnít for lack of googling ok, and checking with DOT website so here is my question, while traveling on Pensilvanya turnpike I notice that some overpasses have a yellow signage that read example 12í 1Ē other will have 12í 6Ē other yet have 13í ok not only freak me out because of course was too late if anything would had happened no signs before hand indicating anything, how about at night? Ok so what is that signs all about? On all the overpasses after the first one I drove on the left side Iím sure I did not make too many friends

Thanks
Zzotte

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #2

Iím not sure I understand your question, but here goes.

Each sign 12í 3Ē etc. is advising you of the height of the bridge in THAT particular lane. Sometimes the underside of the bridge may be curved a bit, so you may see different measurements between lanes.

Do your self a favour.....get up on your roof, and with a tape measure, get the true measurement to the top of your air conditioner or antennae to the ground, and post that measurement on the dashboard for future reference. Donít just believe what your specifications may be in your owners manuals.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #3

typically the signage indicates the height above the roadway at "lowest" point which is usually the shoulder. if the turnpike is an interstate highway it should conform to the federal standard. if an over-the-road truck can navigate the underpass you should be fine. a truckers road atlas would be a good addition to your RV.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always look at a truckers atlas before we drive roads we haven't driven before.

It doesn't matter what other people think when you are driving through a tunnel where you may need to be on the left side or even in the center because of your height. Your Dutch Star is about 13' tall. They will be a lot more pissed off if your air conditioner lands on their windshield.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Thank you for all the answers, Iím ordering the road atlas from RM and I will measure the coach unfortunately itís current in storage but I will before driving it home

Thanks
Zzotte
Old 02-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The USDOT standard clearance is 16' on interstate highways (those marked USxxx) and 14' on all other roadways. Any overhead clearance less than that measurement must be clearly marked with the height at the lowest point. And, they almost always have a "Restricted Overhead Clearance Ahead" sign posted well in advance. Still, it is up to the vehicle operator to be looking ahead.

Frequently, the outside edge of the right lane is the lowest point due to a structure brace, opening radius, etc. When in doubt, use the center lane to gain the most advantage. That is a perfectly acceptable tactic.

Using the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas (preferably for the current year) is a very good idea. That's what truckers and pilot car operators rely on.

TJ
Old 02-04-2019, 06:44 PM   #7

Just for completeness, hereís a link to the DOT FHA web page showing a table of minimum bridge and signage elevations above various types of highways and lesser roadways. Notice the potential reduction from the 16 ft minimum on Interstates in urban areas, though theyíre still much higher than the legal vehicle height.

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometri...lclearance.cfm
KanzKran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
Just for completeness, hereís a link to the DOT FHA web page showing a table of minimum bridge and signage elevations above various types of highways and lesser roadways. Notice the potential reduction from the 16 ft minimum on Interstates in urban areas, though theyíre still much higher than the legal vehicle height.

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometri...lclearance.cfm

Thanks, great info

Zzotte
Old 02-04-2019, 06:54 PM   #9

You need to confirm the actual height of your coach - likely top of AC units ?

My 2014 Ventana measured at 12'-9", but I still duck at a " low " overpass !
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #10

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Don't forget to air up the suspension.... I know I know.
G jeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:29 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The USDOT standard clearance is 16' on interstate highways (those marked USxxx) and 14' on all other roadways.

TJ
What I meant to say is "...(those marked I-xx).

TJ
Old 02-04-2019, 08:36 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/bridg...re-423401.html
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #13

You definitely need to know the height of your coach and remember it as you approach any overpass. Our town has a railroad overpass at the northern edge of town that is marked with two different signs and flashing lights but yet it gets hit several times a year. Once a combine got knocked off a flat bed and several times with the large round bales of hay scattered along the side of the road.
The western edge of town has an overpass(guess this is the correct description since the RR runs over the road) with the same RR marked 12'8" that gets a box trailer semi stuck under it several times a year. Undoubtedly either the drivers don't know the height of their load or forget to pay attention to the signs.

I also duck and grit my teeth going under low overpasses marked high enough for my DS.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
A few years back, we encountered a tunnel on the Oregon Coast north of Florence with our Ventana LE. There was a sign alerting us to a restricted vertical clearance and the tunnel entrance was clearly marked "11 FT 6 IN" on one side. We had time to stop and a place to pull over.

A local stopped and asked if we were concerned about the height restriction. "Just drive down the center of the road and you'll be fine; the locals know to look for headlights before entering." After getting safely through, it occurred to me that a non-local (like me) could have been coming the other way! Turns out, it was just the outside, rounded edge of the tunnel that was "11 FT 6 IN" as others have suggested.

Live and learn!

TJ