Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 06:55 AM   #309

Any reason that Newmar would not build it to that standard from the get go? Much more material or time to do up front?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Any reason that Newmar would not build it to that standard from the get go? Much more material or time to do up front?

None that I can think of!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #311

Thanks

Does Newmar make mid year changes once they read a legit idea to solve an issue. Any examples? Maybe this will be one!
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:02 AM   #312

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm buying a new coach and want to inspect. Can someone send me a location picture? Zoomed out some? I'm just not familiar enough to find the exact part
Old 05-21-2017, 10:28 AM   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsdw View Post
I'm buying a new coach and want to inspect. Can someone send me a location picture? Zoomed out some? I'm just not familiar enough to find the exact part
Open the second door from the front on the passenger side and it is the bracket that holds the slide motor for your kitchen slide. Coach is not here or I would try to get the picture you are looking for.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Does it look like this kitchen slide motor bracket can be welded on the coach? Seems like there would be a lot of heat and sparks inside the compartment doing this but it would sure be the simplist procedure if the welder is good at his work, and knows what to do while welding on a motor home.
It doesn't seem like welding in place would be any more heat or sparks than removing the old & replacing (rewelding) a new and it would be a LOT simpler??

I got a response from Newmar - only said they had no recalls / TSB's open for my '13 Ventana only suggested I take it to a service dealer to have it fixed.
I tried to call one (3hrs away) and they were too busy to accept service calls - left a msg and will see if the msg gets a return call.

I'm disappointed Newmar will not acknowledge this is a wide spread and serious design / mfg issues when it is tearing welded brackets off!?!
Hiding behind warranty term is not the way to gain owner loyalty!?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM   #315
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just came across this thread for a broken bedroom slide bracket, might as well have the broken brackets on same thread.
I'll add this one also for broken slide rod for bedroom slide if you ever have a problem with it, we never found out why it happened.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #316
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
This thread is getting looong and many views off things that can go worng when under stress.
Most of these links I have been supplying are in the QT's links and some of them are old but most coach's will have the 12v motor driven slide.
Newmar does make changes with good old design's but find out things were just fine with the old design.
This thread is in QT's # 3 in PROBLEM SOLVERS now and you will find it in the Newmar irv2 search engine.

Sorry I have come up with another old thread that has a living room stop rod broken weld on the extended slide.
I have read the whole thread and have added the many problems I have seen since being here if I find or remember any others they will be here.

Its hard to come up as to why these brakes occur, if the rods adjusting stop nuts are not placed correctly, they used the wrong nut not locking nut, brackets not mounted correctly or wrong size for operation but with the operation of slides the problem will eventually arrive.
A broken stop rod does not mean your slide may have a problem extending or retracting the slide control will sense the rise in voltage current when slide hits the fixed wall of coach.

Why broken brackets, gear housings, after rewriting the slide thread information, one thing I have notice the pots on controls older ones, people have found turned up to high and high torque motors just keep operating and causing damage, the control senses the raise in current in a normal operating motor and will shut down motor, the pot set to high only defeats the control shutting off motor.
I would check the settings of your pots on controls to only operate the motors with only what is needed for smooth operation of your slides.
The pots will not increase the speed of slides Newmar slides operate slowly as they are intended to.
Older coach LR Slides may need increase of pot to get the slide up its ramp.,

Members now reading, have a pretty good view with pictures, that you can check area's under slides when your under them to see something that may turn out to be a problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #317

Newmar Owners Club
Took welder/technician at National Indoor RV a few hours to replace bracket. When I get to campground, will take pictures and you can compare to original bracket. Been ready to leave, but having a hard time leaving this London Aire, DW and really like.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Thanks to all previous posters that alerted me to this!
We picked up a 2013 Ventana 3433 last week and arrived home in W NY Sat.
Got digging here to learn more about Newmars and found this thread.
Checked my motor mounts and found 3 of 4 were loose and one (pass / galley side) slide motor "L" bracket weld was approx 1/3 broken.
Replaced all washers w/ larger flat - removed the split and added the recommended Blue LocTite. Will need to pursue getting the broken weld fixed & reinforced next,
I replaced the pass side bedroom bolts as this was a different mtg - motor had a foot mounting through bolted up through frame / support members. I replaced w/ flanged bolts and hardened NyLoc nuts & large flat washers w/ LocTite - as belt & suspenders. This is the only motor that is semi exposed - in the DEF compartment and has a plastic shield over it which would be a challenge to remove each time to check hence the belt & suspenders approach here.

I'm considering rewelding the existing bracket and just adding a piece of flat bar stock to reinforce the inside angle of the "L". Seemed like the easiest & most expedient way vs a whole new bracket - especially if I'm responsible for the co$t... I do plan to check in w/ Newmar to see where they stand on this... my feeling is this should have been reported to owners either via a recall (preferable) or at least a TSB to alert folks before more damage is done...just my opinion and will be my first experience w/ Newmar and the coach is clearly out of warranty.

Thanks again
Don
The rest of the story...
I had a local body / repair shop reweld the broken weld and add a reinforcing brace today.
Charged me a total of 1 hour labor ($80) that included tightening the pass side mirror mounting that had a vibration on rough roads. I prepped the workarea & provided the bracket.
before & after Pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Mtr Brckt 3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	163673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Mtr Brckt 1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	163674  

Name:	Slide Mtr Brckt 2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	163675   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Mtr Brckt After.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	163676  

Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #319

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post

New brackets! Great job NIRVC... Here are the after pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1825.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	163891Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1826.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	163892Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1827.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	328.6 KB
ID:	163893
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #320

Did the TSB myself (after dealer had the rig for 1.5 months working on initial purchase issues I identified). Thanks for all of the reference. While there are certainly differences amongst the models (and even the same models I am finding out on other issues), everything is here if you want to get this job done without having to take it in.

I wanted to add some info specific to my Bay Star that is particular to the bedroom slide:

The slide motor/mount is accessed from under the bed (unlike the other slide motors/mounts which are accessed from the lower bays). The bolts in my bedroom slide mount are not really bolts but rather seem like thin self-tapping screws (there are no nuts) with 3/8 heads (they seem pretty flimsy for the application to me).

I am not sure the loctite works for this, but I followed the TSB (also called NewMar and they did not indicate that the TSB does not apply to this slide). I cringed at the 30 ft lbs torque (those screws just seemed too small), but I followed as TSB directed. IMO it looks like a future retro-fit to bigger bolts/nuts may be in order (I am putting some in my emergency kit).

Here are some pics for BS owner reference:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BedSlide1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	164277   Click image for larger version

Name:	BedSlide2.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	164278  

Old 06-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #321

Sedaliaterry, Thanks for the pics.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #322

slide motor mounts 2013 DS 4318

After reading warnings on iRV2 and Newmar owners' group....I checked my bolts and found ALL of them loose. Tightened them all and now on my "maintenance list".

One interesting observation: I am 2nd owner. 1st owner had to replace motor in bedroom slide. I have already had it replaced again. I found that the bolts are "self tapping" with no nuts on the other side of the angle iron. I tried to tighten them and they wouldn't "bite" and tighten. I took out the 2 bolts that I could reach easily and drilled a slightly larger hole through the angle iron. I was able to install two new full threaded regular bolts through those holes. I included the washers, two metal and one plastic on the upper side of the bolt. I then applied a lock washer and nut to the end of the bolt and tightened. That was a relatively simple way of a fix and hopefully far superior to what I started with. The two bolts closer to the side of the motorhome I did not change out because they were difficult to get to. I was able to tighten and they did hold. I made sure I didn't overtighten. I will be checking them after each trip and if they are loose that will indicate they stripped themselves out. Then I will have to go the extra mile and take apart what is necessary to get to them.

Thanks to all that posted this information and got me going on it. Potentially saved me lots of trouble and $.

George Bist
George Bist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out