Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2018, 07:35 AM   #575

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
No.
Sorry to hear that. We will miss you.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #576

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Since the start of the use of LocTite there seems to have been zero incidents with those units.
Ok, I've been following these threads on this topic as I wait for my '19 Ventana. So, does this mean this should be a non issue for me? At most, if I want to play it safe, mark with some witness paint and check periodically.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:12 AM   #577

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Ok, I've been following these threads on this topic as I wait for my '19 Ventana. So, does this mean this should be a non issue for me? At most, if I want to play it safe, mark with some witness paint and check periodically.

Should be OK but I'd pull one bolt and look for the Loctite.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #578

Quote:

Smart thinking, no system is fail safe, periodic inspection is what I do, it's one of many things on my periodic maintenance list.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #579

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Yes you should be fine.

White witness marks are not a bad idea but there is no need to pull a bolt to check in my opinion. There have been no problems with the units built since Oct 2016 production dates.

There are many things on any car, truck or tractor that are torqued and don't have witness marks or are not checked by re torquing. Just think of every bolt in every engine. Just not necessary.

This was a unique problem that now looks like it has a permanent fix.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:16 PM   #580

Excellent thread!

I realize this is a really old and extensively commented on thread, but I think it saved my main slide.

I just bought a 2008 KSDP 3623, and the first chance I had, I checked my slide motor mount bolts. And like so many others commented, all four on my main slide were loose -- as in rotated at least a full turn before tight.

And like others, my two small rear slides were pretty much fine.

I'll keep an eye on my main slide bolts and if they loosen up even a little, I'm putting threadlock on them!

I thank all those who discussed this and included excellent photos.

Woody
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:21 AM   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyS View Post
I realize this is a really old and extensively commented on thread, but I think it saved my main slide.

I just bought a 2008 KSDP 3623, and the first chance I had, I checked my slide motor mount bolts. And like so many others commented, all four on my main slide were loose -- as in rotated at least a full turn before tight.

And like others, my two small rear slides were pretty much fine.

I'll keep an eye on my main slide bolts and if they loosen up even a little, I'm putting threadlock on them!

I thank all those who discussed this and included excellent photos.

Woody

Put the Loctite on now ... they will definitely loosen without Loctite!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #582
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The reason this thread was started, with many other items to check in it, was for a recall to check the bolts and place thread lock on bolt threads before tightening bolts, as said the bolts will loosen again.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #583

Are there any pictures on here of slide out bolts on a 2012 3862 ventana le?
eddiehop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:36 PM   #584
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Look through the thread pictures on everything related with all slides.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:19 AM   #585

Have any of you been able to confirm that the torque specs in the TSB are applicable to prior year models? (in my case a 2014 Ventana 4037). My concern is that if different materials or hardware was used prior to the 2015 models, that the torque values in the TSB might be too high.
"Correction: Check for proper torque of all mounting bolts on all electric slideout motors. If any bolt is under-torqued, remove the bolt, and add blue LOCTITE® thread sealant to the bolt threads. Reinstall and torque all 5/16” bolts to 19 ft. lbs. and all 3/8” bolts to 33 ft. lbs"
Thanks,
Bill
Old 06-21-2018, 03:16 AM   #586

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
I just left Nappanee after receiving excellent warranty service on my DSDP.

Mine is a 2017, but it came off the line on 9/9/16.

It was not listed on the recall, but I asked them to check the bolts anyway.

The Tech found several to be loose. He installed the blue loctite and said they should be ok now but to check them annually, which I intend to do.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #587

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaton View Post
I just left Nappanee after receiving excellent warranty service on my DSDP.

Mine is a 2017, but it came off the line on 9/9/16.

It was not listed on the recall, but I asked them to check the bolts anyway.

The Tech found several to be loose. He installed the blue loctite and said they should be ok now but to check them annually, which I intend to do.

I want to address several items in one post.

Once again I want to remind everyone that call this bolt problem a "recall" that is incorrect. A recall is a Federally Mandated Notice. It is related to safety, it is related to a series of serial numbers and it must have a fix that is available to everyone effected without charge.

Examples are the High Beam Light problem on Freightliners,

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V062-2683.PDF

The Kiddie Fire Extinguisher

https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...-extinguisher/

The slide bolts are not a safety item but are a " Technical Service Bulletin" AKA "TSB with a date or number". A Service Bulletin is not mandatory but is advised and it can be done free of charge or not, at the discretion of the company.

They are different, one is Mandatory by Law and the other is not, just good will.

Deaton,

With that production date there should have been no surprise here. The "fix" of LocTite was not fully implemented until October 2016. So I'm glad you checked and found them. Others should do the same no matter what their production dates are until we have a longer than one year no failure rate record. JMO.

Sonic,

I don't put to much credence in the Torque Value #'s. First off they were never torqued to any number on the assembly line in the past. Air ratchets at best not Torque Wrenches. Not sure if that has changed now that the LocTite is applied in assembly but my guess is that it has not. When I asked the crew working on my 2015 DS in Building 10 the answer was "tight". I asked how tight as in a torque number, I was shown with a hand movement simulating turning a wrench. So torque was not a consideration.

I have attached links to articles and charts about bolt torque values. The first one makes a very good point in the second or third paragraph. It says there are two ways to determine what value to use for a bolt. Number one is really not good as it uses charts and number two as you can see takes a whole lot of real engineering of which I don't believe any RV manufacturer could afford to do. So care to guess which was used.

https://www.assemblymag.com/articles...-specification

https://www.fastenal.com/en/83/torque-calculator

Bolt Grade markings

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

So bolt grade markings are easy enough to figure out as for torque as all you need to do is relate to the size of the bolt in the chart.

But I think hand tight with a 6" box wrench and LocTite will probably do the trick.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #588

Thanks for the info Vinny.
The TSB from Newmar Engineering no doubt specified those torque settings in order to generate enough clamping force to minimize movement, thus reducing wear, so I want to follow their torque guidelines if applicable to my 2014 Ventana 4037. The bolt specs are interesting, but since they're threading into aluminum I want Newmar's input for my coach.
I've reached out to Newmar and will report back.
Bill

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out