Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #827

Newmar Owners Club
They are 5/16"-18 X 2"
Here is the link to the SLS fix.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/how...ts-380026.html
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2021, 06:55 PM   #828

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
They are 5/16"-18 X 2"
Here is the link to the SLS fix.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/how...ts-380026.html
Thanks
Old 03-12-2021, 06:23 AM   #829

Newmar Owners Club
Five years ago I made the original post... Thread lock, Newmars “fix”, didn’t work! I’ve replaced two slide out motors, the original in the first post, and a second one that had safety wired bolts! This is a systemic design flaw that Newmar has chose to ignore!! It’s time for a Class Action Law Suit to fix this issue once and for all!
Old 03-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth01 View Post
Five years ago I made the original post... Thread lock, Newmars “fix”, didn’t work! I’ve replaced two slide out motors, the original in the first post, and a second one that had safety wired bolts! This is a systemic design flaw that Newmar has chose to ignore!! It’s time for a Class Action Law Suit to fix this issue once and for all!

Two things come to mind. Check your motor controller. Chances are that the controller is allowing the motor/s to over torque. Second, apply the SLS method to your motors as this seems to be working. Haven’t heard of anyone having issues after installing the studs with the Nordlocks. Or, there is another solution that recently popped up on the forum of using a plate to secure the bolts.
I totally agree that Loctite alone is not a long term solution.
For those of you that haven’t done anything, it’s a matter of when, not if when you will hear that dreaded noise coming from your slide.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:45 AM   #831

Studs with red Loctite put on them before putting them in and then double nutted with blue Loctite has worked for the last 2 1/2 years on the London Aire.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 05:24 PM   #832
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
SLS motor bolt fix has been in this CHECK LIST for a couple years now and no complaints because it works, its not the first time in many years that members have come up with a better fix for bad situations.
You will find the CHECK LIST at the top of the large sticky for Newmar Owners.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:47 PM   #833
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Folks,

I just made another trip of 5K miles. Used my sides up to 5 time a day.
My "FIX" is the fix. All bolts re- Checked at 25lbs torque and nothing loose.
I have TOTAL peace of mind with my "FIX".
I stopped at Newmar just to park a couple nights on my way from Oregon to Mescota, Michigan to pickup my new Manitou Pontoon boat. It was 15° outside and with my heated tile floors I thought I was in Florida.

For all you folks that want to continue to experiment with a slide motor fix. That is what you are doing, Experimenting. Good Luck. If you loose it will cost you a lot of money and down time......

SLS
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:33 PM   #834

Hey double 00... its been a while...and your still right

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #835

Newmar Owners Club
With all the posts regarding this problem I checked my slide today (except for the bedroom...will get to it tomorrow). Both FWS motors were tight however on both kitchen slide motors the top bolts had backed out about 1/8 to 1/4". Bottom bolts were tight. Space is very limited to reach these top bolts so I need to get an extra long box wrench or a different ratchet wrench attachment.

Were still in AZ and I plan to do the Nord-Loc improvement when we return.

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #836
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Good your checking bolts.
Using an "End Wrench " will not allow you to check the bolts properly.
Norloc washers are not the "Fix".
If you use a torque wrench at the proper 25lbs you will find that all your bolts are loose.
This thread is almost 900 post for a reason. There has not been one failure with anyone who does the "Fix"...

Good luck and Happy Camping

SLS
Old 03-20-2021, 11:14 AM   #837

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Good your checking bolts.
Using an "End Wrench " will not allow you to check the bolts properly.
Norloc washers are not the "Fix".
If you use a torque wrench at the proper 25lbs you will find that all your bolts are loose.
This thread is almost 900 post for a reason. There has not been one failure with anyone who does the "Fix"...

Good luck and Happy Camping

SLS
At 25 lbs they should be loose on the 3/8" bolts. Proper torque by Newmar Specs is 19 ft. lbds. for 5/16" bolts, "bedroom slide in my case", and 33 ft. lbs. for 3/8" bolts, my other three slide motors on my 2015 DSDP. See attached bulletin from 11/03/2016 for 2015, 2016 and 2017 models.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Newmar TSB 472 Slideout Bolts.pdf (532.0 KB, 31 views)
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 11:34 PM   #838
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
Like I said, there is a reason this thread is almost 900 post.

1. You did not use a torque wrench so you have no idea if your bolts were at 19lbs and/or if the bottom bolts were not loose.
2. The "Fix" use 5/16 STUDS with Nuts and Nord-Lock washers and 25 ft. lbs is the correct torque and it WORKS!

The bolts your using only go less then halfway into the aluminum bosses on the gearbox that is trying to hold the assembly to the slide along with torque of the motor going through a gear reduction box trying to twist it off. Good luck with this bolts not coming loose or breaking off the bosses on the gearbox.

If you think Newmar is the answer here then why are yours coming loose and this thread almost at 900......?

SLS.......[emoji848][emoji847][emoji173]
Old 03-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #839

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
Like I said, there is a reason this thread is almost 900 post.

1. You did not use a torque wrench so you have no idea if your bolts were at 19lbs and/or if the bottom bolts were not loose.
2. The "Fix" use 5/16 STUDS with Nuts and Nord-Lock washers and 25 ft. lbs is the correct torque and it WORKS!

The bolts your using only go less then halfway into the aluminum bosses on the gearbox that is trying to hold the assembly to the slide along with torque of the motor going through a gear reduction box trying to twist it off. Good luck with this bolts not coming loose or breaking off the bosses on the gearbox.

If you think Newmar is the answer here then why are yours coming loose and this thread almost at 900......?

SLS.......[emoji848][emoji847][emoji173]
First, I believe your FIX is a good one. Never said it wasn't, but not everyone is willing to do it. And at least using loctite blue with proper torque will help over the alternative of doing nothing at all. My first attempt, and hopefully last was loctite with nord-lock washers. My bolts on a 15 were not coming out, but most did not have proper torque after 5 years. I'll see in 6 months and then a year how well they hold up now. With owning many HD motorcycles I can say blue loctite was my friend. So once again I agree your fix is a good one. Doing nothing at all is not. My simple mod was just changing out with Nord-locks and blue 243 loctite with 35 lbs on the 3/8's and 20 lbs on thec 5/16's, a bit more with the nord-lock washers. Maintaining torque is number one, so time will tell. But the biggest take from your thread is creating awareness of the bolts coming loose, breaking motor cases, etc. That gives everyone who reads it a fighting chance to prevent it from happening in the first place. At least most can at least check their bolts every six months or every year if they don't have the ability to do your FIX completely.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #840
SLS

Newmar Owners Club
If you add Nord-Lock washers you will shorten the length of the bolt into the aluminum bosses.
I gave some better choices and just as easy as loctiting your bolts and will not cause a catastrophic failure like the bolts coming loose.
Go buy the 5/16 studs that are used in the "FIX" and replace one bolt at a time with the stud. Use blue loctite . The stud has a allen head in the end so you can tighten it into aluminum boss. Now use a Nord-Lock washer with a serrated flanged nut. All this is listed in the fix.
This is just as easy as putting bolts in and is a 95% better fix.
This is a much better repair then the proven bolt failure that Newmar suggests.

SLS

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out