Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2021, 07:30 PM   #883

You slide outs are electric. If you go to where your cabinets out side above each slide there is a motor with 4 bolts holding the motor in place. Your bolt heads are 9/16 head and all 4 should be tighten to 35 ft. lbs. It would be smart to take each bolt out one at a time and put Loctite on each bolt and then tighten. For many this will work for maybe a year but in the end you will need to up grade higher then Loctite,
On your bed room slide that motor is under the bed and you will need to lift bed and then take false floor up and check those bolts too.
Might check You Tube.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2021, 08:32 PM   #884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandie115 View Post
HOW ABOUT PICTURES OF WHAT TO LOOK FOR ETC. I have a 2003 Mountain Aire gasser with two slide outs one BR and one LR, not sure if electric or hydraulic, assumed Hydraulic but... NOT mechanical person
Check this thread https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/sta...ll-540684.html

Look in the side compartments under your slides. If you see something like this, you have electric slides.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #885

Carb cleaners and brake cleaners are good for cleaning (as is a good degreaser) but they're different types of products than Loctite primer.
In reading about the primer, Loctite states that purpose is to increase adhesion in situations where both of the surfaces have low iron or copper content. The aluminum housing certainly qualifies, but I don't know about iron/copper content of the bolt surface. Either way, it can't hurt to use the primer.

So far, a degreaser prior to blue loctite has held for me for the past two years. We'll see later this year how it holds up on a 3 month road trip.
Old 06-23-2021, 12:45 PM   #886

Newmar Owners Club
2018 Dutchstar Bedroom slide bolt won't go back.

Having dutifully followed and read this thread I embarked on checking the slideouts for the kitchen and bedroom. Sure enough all the motor bolts were loose. I removed each one at a time, cleaned the threads and tightened with be locktite applied. Let me say the Milwakee M12 right angle ratchet is a must have for this job.

Moving to the bedroom slide and accessing the motor I was successful correcting 3 of the 4 bolts and of course #4 (bottom right) was difficult to remove. I now see the motor housing hole is partially blocked by the mounting bracket and the bolt will not rethead back into the housing. Assuming the motor twisted I have made every attempt to twist, lever and force motor into alignment with no success.

At this point my only solutions are to grind enough material from the bracket to allow the bolt to be retreaded (not a lot of room but perhaps a Dremel tool could be used here) or perhaps use a smaller diameter bolt knowing it is not perfect but leaving a bolt out does not seem to be a good answer.

There is no play in this assembly and I am not sure how to proceed.
Thoughts......
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:36 PM   #887

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv_szy View Post
Having dutifully followed and read this thread I embarked on checking the slideouts for the kitchen and bedroom. Sure enough all the motor bolts were loose. I removed each one at a time, cleaned the threads and tightened with be locktite applied. Let me say the Milwakee M12 right angle ratchet is a must have for this job.

Moving to the bedroom slide and accessing the motor I was successful correcting 3 of the 4 bolts and of course #4 (bottom right) was difficult to remove. I now see the motor housing hole is partially blocked by the mounting bracket and the bolt will not rethead back into the housing. Assuming the motor twisted I have made every attempt to twist, lever and force motor into alignment with no success.

At this point my only solutions are to grind enough material from the bracket to allow the bolt to be retreaded (not a lot of room but perhaps a Dremel tool could be used here) or perhaps use a smaller diameter bolt knowing it is not perfect but leaving a bolt out does not seem to be a good answer.

There is no play in this assembly and I am not sure how to proceed.

Thoughts......

Make sure the bedroom slide is not all the way out. Go all out and then back it up a few inches. It should settle into a non-stressed normal position.
cliffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #888

Ensure the other 3 bolts are backed out a turn or two, use a lever to align bolt hole. You’re gonna be back in there anyway. Bolts just won’t cure it. You will need to do the stud/fancy nut fix. It is a pain working under the bed, best of luck!
Old 06-24-2021, 03:19 PM   #889

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Carb cleaners and brake cleaners are good for cleaning (as is a good degreaser) but they're different types of products than Loctite primer.
In reading about the primer, Loctite states that purpose is to increase adhesion in situations where both of the surfaces have low iron or copper content. The aluminum housing certainly qualifies, but I don't know about iron/copper content of the bolt surface. Either way, it can't hurt to use the primer.

So far, a degreaser prior to blue loctite has held for me for the past two years. We'll see later this year how it holds up on a 3 month road trip.

Sent you a private message. -Paul
Old 06-25-2021, 05:05 AM   #890

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbcsutter View Post
Ensure the other 3 bolts are backed out a turn or two, use a lever to align bolt hole. You’re gonna be back in there anyway. Bolts just won’t cure it. You will need to do the stud/fancy nut fix. It is a pain working under the bed, best of luck!
I have tried to loosen the 3 bolts and lever the whole mechanism but the motor does not budge at all. I will try and cycle the slide in and out to see if that makes a difference. Not sure what you are referring to with the "stud/fancy nut fix"?
stv_szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 08:32 AM   #891

Quote:
I have tried to loosen the 3 bolts and lever the whole mechanism but the motor does not budge at all. I will try and cycle the slide in and out to see if that makes a difference. Not sure what you are referring to with the "stud/fancy nut fix"?

You need to go to post 1 and read through. Loctite alone is not a permanent fix.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:54 AM   #892

Quote:
https://www.stage8.com/product-category/rv/
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #893

Newmar Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
This thread sent me out to check my bolts today and you guessed it. Front passenger slide all the bolts were loose, one was almost all the way out. Front driver side, 3 loose bolts and one missing bolt. Bedroom slides were slightly loose but not by much. I'm sure this will not be the last time but you guys saved from heartache and trouble.

Thank you!
Swipular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:47 PM   #894

Newmar Owners Club
Please correct me if I am wrong. I am under the impression that there are two slide out motors. One for the kitchen slide and one for the bedroom slide. The FWS is hydrolic. Is this correct?

Thank you
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:06 AM   #895

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong. I am under the impression that there are two slide out motors. One for the kitchen slide and one for the bedroom slide. The FWS is hydrolic. Is this correct?

Thank you
Kitchen slide has two motors. Bedroom slide has one. The FWS is hydraulic.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #896

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you Thunderridge. Where is the second motor on the kitchen slide located? I have put one of the locks on a motor located in the first bay from the front on the passenger side.

Safe travels
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar, slide, slide out