Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 11:08 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I still haven't been to enough campgrounds to answer how hard/easy it is to find places, but having asked the same question and read a ton of forum posts/blog posts here and elsewhere, the general consensus seems to be it will be a problem in national parks, hit and miss in state parks, and not much of a problem in commercial RV parks.

On maneuvering, I can address. My brother in law and I recently had our wives take a driving class in a local parking lot (ball fields) and one of the things we did was check the turning radius. Lined up on a solid yellow line, turned the wheel to the lock and turned until we were parallel to the starting point.

My brother in law has a 40' Tiffin and my RV literally can turn inside his. After 180 degree turn, I was 20' closer to the starting point.

Mine is the Spartan and I'm not sure if there is much/any difference between it and the Freightliner, but I will say this thing can turn.
Thanks for that info. I have been told by dealer staff that the Freightliner chassis will turn inside the Spartan Chassis. So, this info on your Spartan is very interesting and exciting to hear.
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with above. I couldn’t believe when we moved up from our 38 ft Tiffin DP to our now 44 ft Dutch Star that we can actually make tighter turns. I have on many occasions made u-turns on city roads I could of never thought of doing in my previous Tiffin.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:39 AM   #45

We went from a 2017 DS 4369 to a 2019 DD 4018. There is a notable difference in maneuverability. We really like it.
dcrna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Turning radius is a result of the wheelbase and the turning (cut) angle of the front end.

If the tag is dumped the effective wheelbase is from the front axle to the drive axle. Steerable tags will turn so you don't have to remember to dump the tag when going ahead. In reverse passive steerable tags have to center and dump. They do not steer in reverse. There are some steering tag axles that work in reverse. There may be some very high end coaches that have full steer tags but they would be in Prevost level units.

Our coach has a 279 wheelbase and a 60 degree front end. It is remarkable how tight it will turn.

IMO a longer wheelbase and smaller cut angle can still get into many tight places. It may take a bit of jockeying back and forth to get it into position. In many cases no more than some people trying to back their trailer into a site.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #47

Newmar Owners Club
Tnedator & All - No I have not been everywhere either. But, have golden passport, and I know from driving into US Parks, I won't fit anyplace. Now, have stayed at Hard Labor Creek SP in GA, great campground, lots of long spaces, our space was at least 60', it was not the handicaped space, that was next to us, and it was even longer. YES, to fact, CG may have spots, but roads leading to it, may not accommodate you. Check the directions to CG, and/or call them first and ask, especially ask if you have to cross a railroad line, one to HL is very slopped and I was not sure I could get over it, up the road 1/4 mile is a flatter one, keep that in mind. Our current rig is too long to do the kind of camping/traveling we want to do now, nice the storage, but how much crap do I need to have with me? Looking forward to the comfort drive, and shorter rig, DO NOT DEPEND ON GPS, On Line mapping software/maps to take you anyplace, don't care they say RV friendly, don't believe them, They are tools only, you are responsible for your own safety. Those are programed by young people, and they have NO CLUE, how long/wide, and with toad you are, only folks who have been rv'ing for years understand this. Call CG or ask here if anyone has used this place before. We ended up on backwoods country road in TX one time, and had to cross bridge not rated for weight, made it, but, never want to do that again.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #48

I upgraded from a 35 foot gas to 42 foot American Eagle last year. I spent 3 months getting to know the coach, then left on a 15,000 mile trip from CA to AK to ME to FL to CA. I boondocked most of the time and found that I could find places almost a many as with the 35 footer. However, RV parks were much harder to find than with the smaller coach. I had many times, expecially in B.C. where I had to disconnect, turn the coach and toad around and get out of places, sometimes needing to back out for 1/4 to 1/2 mile. That being said, I'm happy with the bigger coach.

Maineiac54

42 foot 2005 American Eagle
Maineiac54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We moved from a 36 ft Journey DP to a 45 ft Cornerstone. We wanted a tag for less "wind push" when semi's pass on interstates, and a 1/2 bath. We were unsure if the 45' would be difficult finding campsites. Honestly, on occasion yes; however, DH says the difference not having to "fight" in windy / semi passing situations is night and day.

Would add that the few occasions we felt length affected our site options, there were always satisfactory, nearby cgs and do not feel we ever missed a destination either.

That said - MHs aren't getting any less expensive..prices seem to go up each year. Best wishes as you find your dream coach
BeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #50

When we were considering moving up to a DP, everyone provided a very strong warning about not going even to 40 ft. We don't like commercial parks and prefer boondocking and state/national parks. About the 37 ft Newmar Ventana - we had a 2018 3715, which is the predecessor to the 3717. The bathroom is way too small to even dress/undress and there is no door between the bathroom and the living areas. We eventually sold our coach after six months of ownership because we hated the center bath/shower arrangement all in a single small space. We just bought a bath and a half in a DSDP 3736. So far, so good.
sleeper41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I have decided to buy my last coach. I really like the new Ventana, but I am trying to decide between a 3717 and a 4369. The cost difference is roughly $30K - but over a lot of years is minor. I like both coaches but the 4369 is truly a home in my opinion. I will soon be totally retired and plan on spending at least 5 to 7 months in the coach every year. Some people are telling me finding places to park the 43 footer is a real problem. But I have heard others says, not that big of a deal. I would like to hear from people who own coaches 43 feet and more about their experiences and if they would do it again? One last thing, the Newmar folks tell me that the steerable tag lets you maneuver the coach in tight spots like a 37 footer - also interested in hearing your opinions on that if you have a steerable tag.
I have a steerable tag on my Monaco 43S. It makes an amazing difference. But also look for the 55 or 60 degree angle cut on the front wheels. This thing has a shorter turning radius than my Lincoln!
LizJimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-RVer View Post
No I have not been everywhere either. But, have golden passport, and I know from driving into US Parks, I won't fit anyplace.
We had a 40' MH as full-timers and stayed in many public parks - national, national forest, COE, state, county, city. It really can be done.

We've stayed in Glacier Nat'l Park, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Zion, Bryce, Big Bend and lots more.

We rarely had an issue with the roads - less than a handful and not bad at all. We parked; got the ranger & had a branch cut for us.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:04 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
43 foot coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
I have decided to buy my last coach. I really like the new Ventana, but I am trying to decide between a 3717 and a 4369. The cost difference is roughly $30K - but over a lot of years is minor. I like both coaches but the 4369 is truly a home in my opinion. I will soon be totally retired and plan on spending at least 5 to 7 months in the coach every year. Some people are telling me finding places to park the 43 footer is a real problem. But I have heard others says, not that big of a deal. I would like to hear from people who own coaches 43 feet and more about their experiences and if they would do it again? One last thing, the Newmar folks tell me that the steerable tag lets you maneuver the coach in tight spots like a 37 footer - also interested in hearing your opinions on that if you have a steerable tag.
Gamaliel Kid good afternoon.
I own a 43’ Holiday Rambler Navigator, 2004. I have had this unit for three years. My wife and I are full time RVers, and we Workamper at RV parks around the country. My unit has a tag axel that can lift, about 3 inches, off the ground. It does allow for tighter turns. When you have a rig this large, you do have to plan , in advance, where you park. More so for having sufficient turning room for exiting. You need to call ahead to RV parks and make sure that they can handle a rig that is towing that is your size. The same as you would if you were only a 40’ rig. I have only had two parks tell me that they couldn’t handle my rig, one at Lake Tahoe and the other in a park in California. Hope all this information helps you.
Coolburns98, 2004 Holiday Rambler Navigator, 2014 Honda CRV.
coolburns98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Spartan Chassis
Ten months ago I went from part-time travel in a 20' class B van to solo full-timing in a 43' Dutch Star. Considered all the floor plans from 37' to 43'. It all came down to storage, both inside the coach and in the basement. Never have regretted choosing the 43'. Was surprised at how easy it is to drive and maneuver. Yeah, sometime it's less convenient to have to park outside a national park and drive the toad in, but it has never been a burden. Have always been able to find a place to park it in every area that I wanted to explore, whether cities or rural areas. With the tag axle and Comfort Drive, I've hardly felt the wind. For as much time as you're planning to spend on the road, I recommend the 43'.
Dahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #55

We're only 2 years into owning our 40' Beaver. This is our first motorhome (previously had travel trailers) so this 40'er is the only thing I've known. I have no trouble driving it or parking it. Yes some parks have tighter turns and spaces that are a little harder to get in or out of but we've been able to get spots where we've wanted so far and having the extra room inside I think is the important part. In fact, I've often thought that the "next one" will likely be longer than this one. I'm admittedly a little OCD about driving in that I plan my route before I even leave down to what lane I want to be in at what time but I guess that helps me in the long run have a better driving experience.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #56

Do Your Research

It seems you do your due diligence on planning ahead. For me, I'd make a list of your top 10 places you want to stay and see what their size restrictions would be. From there, then you can make a better judgement on what you want to purchase.

Your biggest concern will be the restrictions that National Parks have these days.

Enjoy!
vicsamal is offline   Reply With Quote