Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2009, 07:32 PM   #1

Paint Checking

I have several areas on my motorhome where the paint checking is becoming progressively worse. I have only noticed this in the last month or so. I am still under warranty, and I have not yet contacted Newmar. I am wondering if this is a cosmetic issue, or if this is only the beginning of a more serious problem. How is this problem resolved?
jbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #2

I didn't notice my paint checkering until recently and yes it is out of warrantee. It seems to be a cosmetic problem that does not bother me that much. I suppose that some day I will have to paint it. I'm interested in if or how others have solved/resolved this issue.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure either one of you fall into this PROBLEM but its something to check.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jbeck,
Please contact Newmar immediately and have them record the problem. Get a open problem record number from them. Start a file on who you contacted and how each contact ended. With Newmar, determine what the next steps are for you to do and do them quickly. The checking problem could be anything from cosmetic to faulty fiberglass. To ensure Newmar does their part, consider moving forward with this very soon.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #5

What exactly does "checking" look like? I recently found a spot on my 2-month old Essex that looks like a small spider crack in the paint/fiberglass. It's about 1" in diameter, located in one of my slides and reminds me of fiberglass stress cracks I've seen on fiberglass boats.

2009 Essex 4508
TheJazzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 PM   #6

If you are still under warranty, call Newmar, make an appointment, have it registered with them.
if you dont make note of it and after warranty is done, you may be out in the cold.
let them do whatever they have to do to correct the problem. If it doesnt work, keep complaining.
I had some cracking in a lower part of the front panel , and they "fixed" it.
I found new cracks just lately. My warranty is up, but I will be calling them and telling them the problem returned.
will I get satisfaction, probably not, but I will document what is going on.

and in spirit, chance.
jurzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Randy,
To me checking looks like Spider Man made his home in the paint. The ones I've seen don't jump right out at the viewer. They need to be viewed at an angle. The first coach I saw, with this problem, the checking had to be pointed out to me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:53 PM   #8

Jazzman,
What you describe does not sound at all like my issue. I have found multiple large areas with 1/8-1/4 inch check like cracks. Some have raised to the point you can feel them when you rub your fingers across them, while others can only be visualized. The problem started on the darkest color and have now spread to lighter colors. They can be difficult to spot at first, but they are getting progressively worse and easier to see. I had already decided that a trip back to Camp Newmar would have to be made to get the delamination (indentations) of my compartment doors readdressed, this however, may well complicate the problems. I am still under warranty until Jan 2010 so I will contact Newmar this week. Given the state of the economy, I hate to raise issues like this when I know Newmar is most likely struggling for survival like all of the other Rv manufacturers. On the other hand, I paid more for my MH than I did for our stick built 20 years ago. What is a reasonable solution? I don't know. At this point I am at a loss.
jbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 08:00 AM   #9

JazzMan The spider cracking you see is very much the same as on Boats, I had one on the rear cap and Newmar fixed it with no questions asked.

Jbeck You are still under warranty So for sure contact Newmar.

Rick
Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #10

The thread on sidewall delamination pretty much explains it all.The only solution is a sidewall replacement, would get it done ASAP if you are still in warranty. By the sound of things would have it done before the opportunity passes by. These are some pictures of what the checking looks like in time. It starts in the darker areas and progressivley spreads over the entire coach.

Larry & Naomi
2006 MADP 4304

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthrea...l+delamination

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badpaint1-thumb.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	239   Click image for larger version

Name:	badpaint2-thumb.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	52.1 KB