RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Pardon my ignorance...

What is the purpose on the plastic pads I see in the Newmar photos that appear to go under the full-wall slide? Are there issues with the slide marring the surface of the floor tiles?

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #2

That is exactly what they are for.

David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
That is exactly what they are for.
Does that mean they need to be used every time you bring the slide in?

If so, that doesn't seem to be much of a selling point on a coach with such a high quality reputation.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #4

Jim28730
I have a 2015 London Aire with full wall slide. If you look at the rollers they could pickup sand, dirt, or what ever on the floor. I would think that if your floor is clean you wouldn't need them. With some wood floors some with expensive tile they are there to protect them. It doesn't take five minutes to install or remove them, and they store real easy under the bed or closet. They have a lip on them and fit in a groove my dealer marked them so they are easy to place.
Steve Mosher
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
Does that mean they need to be used every time you bring the slide in?

If so, that doesn't seem to be much of a selling point on a coach with such a high quality reputation.
The fact the Newmar includes them is part of their commitment to quality! Just trying to keep the rollers from marring the flooring.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for your replies, that all makes sense.

I'm still on the hunt for a DS and have an excellent price on a leftover 2015. Even with depreciation on a 2015, the price is almost too good to pass up.

I have been studying posts on the Newmar forum and doing my research trying to decide if I should wait and get a 2016 with the improvements is chassis, FWS, and passive steer tag. Obviously the price differential is substantial.

I just retired and we will be traveling about 4 or 5 months a year, not full timing.

What a dilemma
Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Those pads are no longer needed in the 2016s due to the slide redesign (we've been researching a possible upgrade)
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We did extensive comparisons between the 2015 and 2016 DS models...and the added amenities plus the fact that discounted 15's just weren't discounted enough compared to finding a good dealer to order a 2016. We did not like the furniture changes, but liked everything else about the model year change. In addition, for us, making sable maple standard and not extra, plus standardizing the drivers window to a power window (it is quieter) were a few more minor things that we liked. In summary, the new model year was more desirable even given the increased cost.
Slydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 AM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
Those pads are no longer needed in the 2016s due to the slide redesign (we've been researching a possible upgrade)

From the 2016 descriptions on Newmar's site, it appears only the DS and above have the new HWH slides. I'm assuming the Ventana and below still require the Pads.

Although not really a big deal, the pads are a nuisance to have to keep putting down and taking up if traveling a lot as we do while using the coach. We have one that has to be replaced. It was slightly torn on the lip when we first got the MH. The lip is completely off now and requires someone to hold it in place while retracting the slide. If that were to happen to another, we'd need a third person traveling with us to retract the slide. :(

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't use the pads. I just vacuum and mop the floors before I bring in the slides. Easy peazy. I currently don't see any marring of the floors. If I do, then I'll start using the pads.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
Thanks for your replies, that all makes sense.

I'm still on the hunt for a DS and have an excellent price on a leftover 2015. Even with depreciation on a 2015, the price is almost too good to pass up.

I have been studying posts on the Newmar forum and doing my research trying to decide if I should wait and get a 2016 with the improvements is chassis, FWS, and passive steer tag. Obviously the price differential is substantial.

I just retired and we will be traveling about 4 or 5 months a year, not full timing.

What a dilemma
Congrats on your retirement........

I was at the International rally in Lewisburg W Va., and test drove the 2016 Dutch Star with STAR chassis, passive steer tag axle, and new HWH hydraulic slide, of course IFS and 450 HP cummins. I now own a 2015 Ventana 4003 (tag axle, 400 hp, beam front suspension).

I spent some time inspecting the STAR chassis in the bays, and had a demo of the HWH slide. I have to say I was impressed with both.....the STAR chassis looks pretty stout.....clearly an enhancement over the previous chassis. The HWH hydraulic slide operates very nicely.....in my opinion much better than my slide.
Upon closing there is a lever-arm that raises the room.....and then when raised.....it moves to the closed position. A smooth operation.....appearing to me better than the prior year (mine included) slide operation.

Instead of carpet in the slide-room it now has tile with a rubber (or something like rubber ) gasket to "dress" the seam between the tile in the slide and the tile in the main room. I didn't like the gasket 'look' and don't really like the idea of the added weight of the tile in the MH in the slide. Don't forget not only is there the added weight of full tile room but the weight of the STAR chassis, and I presume some weight of the steer tag axle----and all the while with the same 450 hp engine as the 2015 model.

I presume the STAR chassis will address the complaints owners have had deploying the full wall slide.......

Regarding the passive steer tag.....well it does make a nice difference in the ability of the rig to turn tightly......forward only....it locks straight in rear-ward motion.. I have become very comfortable driving my 40' non-steerable tag Ventana and don't feel the need to switch for the improvement of the steerable tag.

Now the answer to your question as to buy a good deal on 2015 or pay more for 2016....... I suppose if the 2015 unit you are looking to buy doesn't have a full wall slide I would buy it. If it does have a full wall slide and you are comfortable with the procedure and the comments about its use from those on this forum I would also buy it.

The STAR chassis, passive steer, and HWH hydraulic are nice.....and if money is not an issue for you I would buy the 2016....... ( I presume if money were not an issue one would buy a Newell or Liberty).....for 4 or 5 months I think you will be very happy with a good deal on a 2015 DS.......

I would certainly look closely at the FWS threads to see what those pre-2016 folks are saying.....my recall is most are happy.

Frankly.....for 4 or 5 months you might also want to consider a Ventana......less weight (no IFS).....same torque.......400 hp vs 450hp.....and rear radiator vs side.

luck on your decision

regards
rich
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:48 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch-y View Post
... I didn't like the gasket 'look' and don't really like the idea of the added weight of the tile in the MH in the slide. Don't forget not only is there the added weight of full tile room but the weight of the STAR chassis...

We looked at a 2016 that had a bright white "neon" gasket, contrasted with the dark brown upholstery. They do make the gasket in four different colors, including a brown/tan .

There was an earlier discussion concerning the loss of CCC with the addition of the STAR truss chassis reinforcements and other updates. If I recall correctly the CCC is now something over 5k lbs vs something like 8k lbs previous to the change (speaking to the Dutch Star - The Mountain Aire, London Aire, etc have heavier axles). That's still a lot of CCC and, in my opinion, the chassis needed updating, given all the extra amenities we've all come to expect and enjoy. This should reduce chassis flex helping reduce slide out and cracked floor tile issues.

It's all those updates that now have us giving Newmar a serious look for our next coach.
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:53 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
You can get 28% off of list any day at most dealerships if you order a new coach and wait the 5 months or so. They have not tied there money up on the new order coach. If you are not getting quoted a deeper discount than 28% on a left over 15 then look at a 16 with the 28% off. PM me if you need to get some more info. Randy