Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2016, 10:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Park power can not keep up!

DW said stove was not heating properly. I looked at power control panel and L1 was showing 109-112 volts, L2 was at 119 volts. It is scorching and everyone in park was on full bore A/C usage. I shutdown electric heating elements and went to Oasis, not much help. Contacted park and they stated no one else had complained and my problems were from probably from my surge protector.
Has anyone else had this problem? Or am I being OCD, just do not want to ruin A/C's or other electronics. What is the lowest voltage one leg should see on a 50 amp system?

Thanks for any help with this!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your EMS will probably shut you off when an input line drops to about 105-108. I've been having a similar problem. Line 2 here suffers a fair voltage drop on hot days. The AC is running, clothes on the dry cycle in the Splendide, me reheating my coffee in the nuke. A couple of those guys hit their start cycle concurrently and my Progressive cuts line 2 off because the V is down to 105. Not much you can do on these really hot days but control your own usage a bit.
As far as the park manager is concerned, pull out your trusty meter and invite him over to observe you take voltage readings on his power pole with your coach completely disconnected.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:19 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Park power can not keep up!

Not uncommon for CG power circuits to not keep up with high summer occupancy coupled with hot weather air conditioning usage. Especially if older CG and especially with many/or 30a service pedestals. If needed, I just fire up the generator and continue to keep cool.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #4

You may have a faulty induction stovetop (if that is your problem). Mine would operate at half power if the voltage dropped below 115v. I got it replaced and the new one is fine. Yours may be from the same batch.

P.S. The Dometic service manual says the ac units should operate at 105v.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:49 AM   #5

This might be one of those situations where a Hughes Autoformer or similar might be a good investment (spend more money) https://hughesautoformers.com

Nice video from RVGeeks.

ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had to add a surge guard 34850 at the pedestal in addition to our surge guard that is part of coach to correct the same issue you are describing.
jbialy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power