Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2022, 12:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Parking Brake Not Set message while driving

2017 DS 4369 Freightliner. Driving along on the highway and dash screen beeps, I look down and it says Brake Not Set. I thought that is strange, of course it is not set Ö Iím driving 60mph. I slow down and look for a place to pull over to investigate further and then when rolling to a stop, at about 10mph I realized the engine had shut off. What? Rolled to stop, applied the parking brake and it set properly. Took the key out and put it back and dash completely dead. Nothing. Now stuck on side of highway, not much shoulder. I went to the chassis battery bay and looked around. To the right of the PDM I wondered if some of the cables were too loose. They were snug, but it seemed I could move the cable a bit with my hand. And they looked dirty. I used some battery cleaner spray and a brush and then tightened 2 of the nuts up. To my surprise, the engine started up. Drove another 30 minutes to destination, no more issues.

About a year ago something similar happened, except not while driving. We parked the coach at the house for about an hour to load up and then when ready to leave the coach would not start. Turn the key but no ignition lights, no nothing, and wonít start. Similar to what described above, except we were parked trying to leave. I called Freightliner 24/7 then and they suggested I check chassis battery voltage with meter. Batteries good. Then he had me check various fuses both in chassis battery bay and also in bay under driver seat. All fuses he had me check were good. After about 30 minutes of troubleshooting the Freightliner tech was out of suggestions. Then I tried the key one more time and it worked. Neither the FTL guy or me knew what happened. I was just glad it started. That always bothered me, naturally concerned it might happen again. Never did I dream it might happen while driving (about 1 year later). Now I wonder if those cables were loose or too dirty all along. Im not certain the two events are related but Iím guessing they are. I think Iím going to go back and remove the cables completely and clean them real good.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? Scary situation while driving. Very grateful I had somewhere to stop. I only had seconds to pull over and stop.
Mathisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Was yours one of the ones that Freightliner was having trouble with the PDM going bad? Just a thought. Loose wiring would have been my first guess then maybe a bad PDM. It just occurred to me that it could be in the ignition switch since the "Brake Not Set" alert came on. That it is activated by turning off the engine. That actually sounds more like it because the engine died when you slowed down. I hope that helps but I only have owned Spartan chassis but have helped repair Freightliner a few times.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 06:49 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Was yours one of the ones that Freightliner was having trouble with the PDM going bad? Just a thought. Loose wiring would have been my first guess then maybe a bad PDM. It just occurred to me that it could be in the ignition switch since the "Brake Not Set" alert came on. That it is activated by turning off the engine. That actually sounds more like it because the engine died when you slowed down. I hope that helps but I only have owned Spartan chassis but have helped repair Freightliner a few times.
Thank you for sharing thoughts. I have had 2 PDM recalls. The first was a complete box replacement, I believe. The second (less than a year ago, about 5,000 miles ago I guess) was just a pigtail harness add onÖ I watched the Freightliner tech perform that one. It only took about 2 minutes to do. Anyway, I am up to date with PDM recalls on our coach.

Iím hoping it was loose terminal but they were not that loose Ö and not that dirty. But, the coach did start up after I tightened them. However, I feel like I turned the key to the right and nothing, then left and right again, then dash lit up. I keep wondering if my issue is still there, and intermittent. And I do wonder about the ignition switch. Iíll be at Freightliner for annual maintenance soon and thought about having them diagnose, but my concern is if it working at the time of diangnosis, then how can they find the issue (?). Itís always tough when something is working sometimes and other times not. This has happened to me 3 times in 1.5 years, the first two times were when parked and getting ready to leave. This last time (driving on highway) was a lot more concerning. I need to figure this out.

BTW, I added a photo to show the two terminals that were slightly loose (I could move the cable with my hand, although they were snug Ö I was able to do about a 1/2 turn with socket to tighten). All of the other cables in this bay felt snug to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5D768B5-FBDD-4518-AA5F-AD49CA48B6AD.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	299.6 KB
ID:	381997  
Old 12-03-2022, 09:44 AM   #4

On my Entegra/Spartan, we have a solenoid B located under our drivers side seat compartment.
Same type of warning about parking brake not set. My coach would not turn over and completely dead.
A wrap with a screwdriver got it working again. Since replaced, no issues starting. Itís the silver colored, vertical cylinder
Donít know if this is unique to Entegraís wiring or not but may helpÖ.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	382016
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2000 Frieghtliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathisw View Post
2017 DS 4369 Freightliner. Driving along on the highway and dash screen beeps, I look down and it says Brake Not Set. I thought that is strange, of course it is not set Ö Iím driving 60mph. I slow down and look for a place to pull over to investigate further and then when rolling to a stop, at about 10mph I realized the engine had shut off. What? Rolled to stop, applied the parking brake and it set properly. Took the key out and put it back and dash completely dead. Nothing. Now stuck on side of highway, not much shoulder. I went to the chassis battery bay and looked around. To the right of the PDM I wondered if some of the cables were too loose. They were snug, but it seemed I could move the cable a bit with my hand. And they looked dirty. I used some battery cleaner spray and a brush and then tightened 2 of the nuts up. To my surprise, the engine started up. Drove another 30 minutes to destination, no more issues.

About a year ago something similar happened, except not while driving. We parked the coach at the house for about an hour to load up and then when ready to leave the coach would not start. Turn the key but no ignition lights, no nothing, and wonít start. Similar to what described above, except we were parked trying to leave. I called Freightliner 24/7 then and they suggested I check chassis battery voltage with meter. Batteries good. Then he had me check various fuses both in chassis battery bay and also in bay under driver seat. All fuses he had me check were good. After about 30 minutes of troubleshooting the Freightliner tech was out of suggestions. Then I tried the key one more time and it worked. Neither the FTL guy or me knew what happened. I was just glad it started. That always bothered me, naturally concerned it might happen again. Never did I dream it might happen while driving (about 1 year later). Now I wonder if those cables were loose or too dirty all along. Im not certain the two events are related but Iím guessing they are. I think Iím going to go back and remove the cables completely and clean them real good.

Anyone else experienced anything like this? Scary situation while driving. Very grateful I had somewhere to stop. I only had seconds to pull over and stop.
I had a problem with a previous coach where it would just die every once in a while. I finally tracked down the problem (12.8v on battery but 4v at the front at one of the connection posts). Turned out that the connection to a fuse beside the tranny between these two had some stripped threads. Once I fixed this I never had another problem with it dying like you described. Not sure if your problem is similar or not but hopefully this is helpful to someone.
Old 12-05-2022, 05:33 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know everyone is throwing out ideas.....I'm not familiar with how Freightliner senses the Parking Brake position, but on my Monaco Diplomat, there was a sensor on the end of the actual Parking Brake knob. It went bad twice over ten years. You may want to see if you can access the back side of the Parking Brake knob and see if it has a connector, possibly loose, and or look for a sensor.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I know everyone is throwing out ideas.....I'm not familiar with how Freightliner senses the Parking Brake position, but on my Monaco Diplomat, there was a sensor on the end of the actual Parking Brake knob. It went bad twice over ten years. You may want to see if you can access the back side of the Parking Brake knob and see if it has a connector, possibly loose, and or look for a sensor.
Hi Don. Thank you for sharing this. I was hoping youíd see my post and share your thoughts. I always value your input! Iím adding this to my list of troubleshoot. However, since Iíve had two other episodes over the past year where turning key did not provide power to dash (none of the normal lights came up on dash) I feel there is something going on with power loss to the ignition area. The message I got on dash was the same I have seen if I put engine and neutral and waiting a few seconds to set parking brake. So Iím guessing the engine shut down (as IF I turned the key to the left while driving) and the system was trying to tell me to set my brake (as if I stopped and turned the key off). I hope that makes sense. I just want to make sure you realize that Ö and if you do and still think it might be a brake connection issue, Iím going to ask someone to check that.

Since in all 3 cases the issue seemed to resolve itself within 30 minutes I keep thinking about a loose connection. But where could a loose connection be is my dilemma. Iím at NIRVC in Lewisville now and showed a tech where I tighten the nuts on the terminal to right of the PDM box. He didnít think those terminals were part of the electrical path to the ignition, so now Iím wondering if tightening those nuts really did or didnít solve my issue. I have hand wiggled all of the cables on top of the chassis battery and cannot feel anything loose. They look clean, but I wonder if worth while to remove and clean each in case something dirty below.

Nothing like an intermittent problem. Iím here this week with the great folks at NIRVC for other stuff and would love to determine why i keep having this dash power problem, but of course the coach starts right up just fine, so nothing to diagnose when it is working (so to speak).

If you have any words of wisdom on other connections I can look for that go from chassis battery to the ignition, please let me know. I would love a list of places to check for loose connection. Or perhaps a loose fuse (?). Thank you so much.
Old 12-11-2022, 05:21 PM   #8

I am wandering if you have an issue related to the PDM issues they seem to keep having

Tags
brake, parking, parking brake