Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 11:01 PM   #15

With the front wheels being that high off the ground are you going to use a ladder to get in and out. Your steps will be hanging in the air.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #16

I regularly back into our driveway, probably not quite as steep as yours--maybe 12" off level. I also have to approach at an angle and have never had a problem. FYI, I never bother to level the coach and haven't had any problems with running the refrigerator.
RetiredBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredBob View Post
FYI, I never bother to level the coach and haven't had any problems with running the refrigerator.
You must have a residential fridge since your doing that.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
You must have a residential fridge since your doing that.
Nope, stock Norcold gas/electric.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all for your responses.

RetiredBob, that is what I was getting at. The only point of describing how far the wheels would be off the ground, was to give a picture of the degree of incline of the driveway at the top.

My question is specifically related to the danger of backing in in a manner that would likely twist the frame. I was inquiring as to whether or not people have been doing this without problems. Is this likely to cause a problem, such as damaging the windshield? I park a 30 ft C here now and level with truck ramps under the tires, and blocks under the jacks. Leveling is not the issue but backing is diagonally on this level of a sloping driveway.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #20
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Sorry...no! Rent a storage area somewhere on flatter ground. That much slope poses a whole bunch of potential issues. A Class C chassis is considerably different from that of a Class A and those differences will all work against you.

Will you pop the windshield out? Probably not, but you might crack it! Will you create coach access issues? I think so. Safety issues? Yes! Will that much slope be hard on the suspension getting in and out? Likely. The list could go on for quite a while and the answers won't get any better.

If you can't find a better place to park, stick with the shorter Class C.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Not as concerned with leveling, other than the back bottoming out. My C is on a ramp with two blocks on top before each trip so I can start the refrigerator. The C has a 9 foot overhang in the back.

My concern is with twisting the frame backing in, and damaging the windshield. I wondered if anyone has had experience routinely backing onto a driveway with this much slope.
I did it for 10 years with our 95 30 ft Infinity class A and for the last 5 years with our 2005 Journey...did have to put casters of the Infinity's trailer hitch so it didnt dig into the driveway. I do have to go at an angle wirh the Journey, no problems
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:07 AM   #22

Quote:

My question is specifically related to the danger of backing in in a manner that would likely twist the frame. I was inquiring as to whether or not people have been doing this without problems. Is this likely to cause a problem, such as damaging the windshield? I park a 30 ft C here now and level with truck ramps under the tires, and blocks under the jacks. Leveling is not the issue but backing is diagonally on this level of a sloping driveway.
I'v been doing it for eight years without a problem. Take it slow and as straight as possible--you may need to jockey back and forth a bit to straighten it out. I live on a typical residential street and tend to block it as I back in, but it's not an issue. Granted, my driveway isn't as steep as yours.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:48 AM   #23

Quote:
The only point of describing how far the wheels would be off the ground, was to give a picture of the degree of incline of the driveway at the top.
Wow.

See how a post can be misinterpreted. OP didn't say in the beginning that this was just to give us picture of the angle. Me and a lot of other people folks thought different.

All that conversation I had with twinboat was for naught.

I'm here to learn, share and make friends, not enemies.

Sorry twinboat.

jeeze........
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #24

You won't pop a windshield or crack it if you aren't twisting the chassis. Going up / down hills is not a problem.

There is no issue with raising the front (or rear) as long as: You figure out a way to ensure that the RV won't slip down the hill (chock the wheels really well and don't just rely on the parking brake). That however you are raising the front, it's done with very sturdy stands / cribbage that connect to the chassis (frame) of the RV. And that the stands are on solid surface that the stands have no chance of sinking in and getting disleveled.

If you turn off the fridge, then you really don't need to level it at all. Still the wheels should be chocked.

I do like putting timbers under the front wheels instead of using stands. Make sure all sits well when the air is out of the air bag system.

So, nothing wrong with the idea if you do it right.

16-18 inches difference is pretty steep. Just makes the definition of "right" even more important.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:23 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Parking on a sloped driveway

Thanks folks. Sorry, that the original question was not as clear to some. I really like the Newmar 3628, so that is why I asked here. I would love to here more actual experience with A's of this type. I don't like storing the MH away from the house - not to mention the cost eating into the camping fee budget. I am in it a lot when I am home, and constantly patrolling to keep rodents away from it.

I am looking at casters for the C. And lately, ?I have been jockeying in the street to make the approach as straight as possible. Yes I block the entire street in doing so.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
My advice is DONT DO IT. First the weight of the front suspension hanging in the air will most likely over time damage the components. Second, You don't have enough rear clearance to raise the front that high, and the jacks will give you an "out of level" error and not do it. Pay to store it someplace, if you can afford the coach, you can afford the storage and insurance.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #27

Driving up on ramps doesn't hang the front suspension and its harmless to hang it anyway.

A little weight on the shock bushings won't ruin them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
At our local fair I have seen motorhomes with the front of the ground 3 feet.

Who needs those stinkies instructions and safety guidelines anyway hahaha

Zzotte