Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #1

Party like a rock star..Opps I mean Dutch Star

Wow is the only word I can say when I walk into a new DutchStar-My question is do you take depreciation on your coach every year and if you do who determines what that amount is? I really love this motorcoach and my wife retiring soon would be great to see our great country but after the use I really do not want to take a bath when selling or if something would happen to me I do not want her to be stuck either. The reason I am asking here is there has to be so many that have pondered these same things before buying-just want to have more opinions before buying one. Working hard all our lives I guess owing one of these would be the american dream...

Thanks
Mark
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:59 AM   #2

Your depreciation changes each year. Is highest the 1st couple years. Maybe if you enjoy Newmar RVing you don't want to know. Would this be just to know what it's costing you?
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #3
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We retired earlier then originally planned, so we are careful to follow a budget. For budgeting purposes we first subtracted the sales tax and are using these numbers for years 1 through 10.

18, 10, 7, 6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3

I came up with these numbers somehow from reading old posts and looking at current prices for older Dutch Stars. Of course, if the economy tanked or fuel prices went up, this would be accelerated.

If you are looking at depreciation for business purposes several people said it was best to use mileage.

Paul
2017 Dutch Star 4018
ptw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #4

Mark,

Depreciation is just a way of "expensing" and adjusting the book value of an asset based upon some metric, be it age, hours of use-sometimes called shop hours, mileage, widgets produced, or something else. It is a practice most commonly used if the asset is used for business purposes. If you are using the coach for business purposes, I understand the concern.

If your new DSDP is not used for business, you will realize the diminished selling point (loss) of the coach only when it is sold or traded in. Up until the sales it is only a "paper loss". Meaning not a tangible loss, like money out of your pocket. And yeah, these things depreciate at a faster rate the first few years.

Congratulations on your new rig. Plenty of happy memories, yet to be made, are in your future.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can't claim depreciation on a MH unless it's used for business. Is that your usage?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #6

6 months and a day-home
ukester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #7

If you are asking in the sense of a tax deduction, then it's probably best to consult a CPA or tax lawyer to make sure of your specific situation. If you are asking does the value go down or depreciate that answer is yes. Really no different than any auto ro truck, just different size of the numbers.

Couple of ways not to leave a burden to a surviving spouse in the event of something catastrophic. Larger downpayment so that you are never 'upside down' on a loan if you doing one for the purchase. A life insurance policy for 15-20% of the purchase amount. A way to have the equivalent of GAP insurance on a loan. There might be other ways but these are the two that I have considered after the wife asked exactly the same type of question.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star