RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Passenger mirror mount issue

We just purchased a 2014 Ventana 3436 and while driving it home to Reno noticed the passenger mirror would shake quite a bit when we hit large bumps. When I got home I noticed some stress cracks on top of where the cover for the mount is. My bad in not catching this before we picked up the coach.

It appears the mirror and cover will have to be removed and the fiberglass fixed and repainted. Access to the back side is a concern to me as it appears the dash might have to come out.

I wonder if anyone has had this issue and how costly was it to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	passenger  mirror mount cover 3.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	234275   Click image for larger version

Name:	close up of stress cracks small.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	234276  

2014 Ventana 3436 2017 Jeep JKU
drebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drebit View Post
We just purchased a 2014 Ventana 3436 and while driving it home to Reno noticed the passenger mirror would shake quite a bit when we hit large bumps. When I got home I noticed some stress cracks on top of where the cover for the mount is. My bad in not catching this before we picked up the coach.

It appears the mirror and cover will have to be removed and the fiberglass fixed and repainted. Access to the back side is a concern to me as it appears the dash might have to come out.

I wonder if anyone has had this issue and how costly was it to fix.

Mine is an earlier RV and might be somewhat different.

The bottom of the cover has a hole with a cap inserted. The cap is plastic and can be pried out. Inside is a large bolt that goes into the threads in the arm. Removal of the bolt allows the arm to be pulled upward (it's usually very snug). The wiring has a connector on the end and access to that connector varies. On mine, I can see the plug from the generator compartment (look up). With the mirror/arm removed, the cover can be pulled off (may have sealer holding it). Under that cover is the arm support and usually has 4 screws to hold it to the body. Takes me about 10 minutes but I've done it before. The problem may be that the mount is screwed to the body rather than being held with nuts/bolts/washers. My screws were loose ... I drilled thru and used stainless bolts and elastic-stop-nuts with stainless fender washers ... no more shake and far more secure.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #3

I had the same problem with my Kountry Star. The mirrors are just mounted with screws into the fiberglass. As the previous poster said, I also used bolts to mount the mirrors.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think I would spend the money for the repair work. Who is going to see those small cracks. Even if you do the repair, they may come back. I would remove the white mirror cover and tighten the screws, or go to a size larger. The screws go through the fiberglass into a wood backing. You may even be able to add a couple of new holes to the mount and screw into virgin wood.

The chrome cap on the under side of the white cap needs to be removed. Loosen the bolt that holds the mirror, remove it and then remove the white cap. Do the repairs and replace the cap and seal around the edges. You could even use some touch up paint in the stress cracks before replacing the white cap. Buff them out and then use some clear touch up paint to seal. It will be very hard for anyone to notice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

I appreciate the input. Right now the daytime high in Reno is around 32 degrees so it is hard to do work on the coach outside.

I was not concerned about the looks but if there was a structural issue. It sounds like it may not be which makes me feel better.

I will remove the cover and see about tightening the screws or going to a larger size.

Thanks again.