Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #1

Peeled flexsteel front seats-replace, or cover?

So my flexsteel seats peeling problem grew worse on our last trip out in our 2016 baystar sport. Iím thinking about covering them, but Iím wondering if I should replace both seats instead. Whatís your advice? If I cover them, what is a good cover to buy? If I replace them, what brand/model would be a replacement for the flexsteel? Iím not afraid to spend some $$ to keep this thing looking like new.

31ft Dutchmen Royal Classic
Rob Hentges is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2021, 12:18 PM   #2

Are your present seats comfortable? Do they have the features you want, reclining, lumbar support, heat etc.? If so, get them recovered or as a stop gap, the slip on covers.
If you wish that you had more features or comfort, go shopping for new seating.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #3

If they are Flexsteel and you decide to keep them I would search / scan the Flexsteel peeling posts for the contact info for the gal who makes & sells skins. She used to work for them, has access to the patterns and makes to order with your choice of material. I would highly recommend spending the extra for real Ultraleather. You can install the skins yourself or get a lical shop to do it.

Sent from my SM-T387V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Winemaker2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's the POC Don referred to.

Lisa Bauer

Bauer RV Upholstery LLC
563-542-4902
bauerrvupholstery@gmail.com

Word is Lisa worked for Flexsteel an was able to get the seat cover patterns when Flexsteel exited the business.
Just George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 PM   #5

Finally decided to have the seats in my 2016 BSS recovered. Talked to a guy at a marine/auto upholstery shop and his story (after seeing my seat) is the stuff they put in most RV’s is just garbage. The only way they can use the word “leather” is they mix up a batch of goo which includes some ground up bits of leather and spray it on a base. Anyway having both seats recovered mid October with much sturdier material. We thought about recovering the jackknife sofa at the same time thou it’s not peeling yet. But decided that would be like bronzing a turd.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just George View Post

Lisa Bauer

Bauer RV Upholstery LLC
563-542-4902

Word is Lisa worked for Flexsteel an was able to get the seat cover patterns when Flexsteel exited the business.

I had Lisa make replacement covers for the pilot/copilot chairs, one of the sofas and then European dinette. I send her the numbers on the tags on each of the items ( you have to hunt around to find them) and she made the covers out of the material I selected.. real ultraleather instead of the fake stuff Newmar used. She shipped the covers to me to have a local upholstery guy install.
Old 09-18-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

I sent her an email and may go down this same path. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just George View Post

Lisa Bauer

Bauer RV Upholstery LLC
563-542-4902

Good to know. Newmar has agreed to recover my seats but it is nine months out. They could surely change their mind by then. This is good info in case Newmar bails out on me.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Good to know. Newmar has agreed to recover my seats but it is nine months out. They could surely change their mind by then. This is good info in case Newmar bails out on me.
I would ask if Newmar would pay for the skins from Lisa Bauer? I highly recommend Ultraleather and they should go for it if they only are buying the skins and you take care of thevreplacement... either DIY or local shop.

Old 09-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
. The only way they can use the word ďleatherĒ is they mix up a batch of goo which includes some ground up bits of leather and spray it on a base.
I recommend people Google ultraleatherģ. Ultraleather fabric has a 100% polyurethane surface on a rayon backing. It's a PVC-free faux leather. I call it false advertising because it is neither ultra, beyond the normal, nor leather, the skin of an animal prepared for use by tanning or a similar process. It's to the point where you have to buy "realģ" leather to get actual leather. Don't even get me started on "milk'
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I recommend people Google ultraleather. Ultraleather fabric has a 100% polyurethane surface on a rayon backing. It's a PVC-free faux leather. I call it false advertising because it is neither ultra, beyond the normal, nor leather, the skin of an animal prepared for use by tanning or a similar process. It's to the point where you have to buy "real" leather to get actual leather. Don't even get me started on "milk'
All true but I've seen some ratings where Ultraleather was rated higher than real leather. The Polyurethane marerial is very durable, washable, etc.
Just because it is "genuine" leather doesn't mean it is high quality,
Do your research especially with the many "marketing" terms out there.

Old 09-18-2021, 03:33 PM   #12

I spoke to newmar reps the other day while at the RV show in Hershey. They told me there is no chance of Newmar paying for any repairs to a 2016 baystar.

Old 09-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #13

I got the quote from the person that can produce new skins from the original flexsteel patterns. $500 each seat in vinyl and $700 each seat in ultra leather. Almost double what I was expecting. Anyone ever use this place to buy new seats? https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...xoCs0cQAvD_BwE

Old 09-30-2021, 04:30 AM   #14

I went to an independent upholstery guy in town and he recovered my seats. The material he used was very close pin color to the original. Very pleased, and a lot less $$$,

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, cover, led, replace, seat