Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Pellet smokers

Who carries a pellet smoker in their coach? I have a Green Mountain at home and love it. Was thinking about getting their RV model which is 12 volt or 110 ac. The food is great in a smoker, but Iím wondering about room in the basement after I get everything else in. I d like to hear from anyone who has one and uses it a lot. Pros and cons. Thanks

Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNawman View Post
Who carries a pellet smoker in their coach? I have a Green Mountain at home and love it. Was thinking about getting their RV model which is 12 volt or 110 ac. The food is great in a smoker, but Iím wondering about room in the basement after I get everything else in. I d like to hear from anyone who has one and uses it a lot. Pros and cons. Thanks

Mark

We have been using a Traeger Tailgater but recently bought the Green Mountain Davy Crockett to replace it. Grill space was better on the larger Traeger but the grill took up too much space in cargo bay. No issues we have run across if you have space for the grill and some pellets.
BW in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

We have the Davy Crockett and have plenty room in the bay. I built a small cradle out of wood to set it in during transit to keep it up off the springy legs. I keep it on the front part of the roll out tray as it is too high to fit under the coach frame. The food is very good from the smoker.
dbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #4

I too have the Green Mt Davy Crockett. I store it in the storage compartments along with a plastic tub I keep my pellets in. I donít put it in the slide out storage compartment. Depending on your tow vehicle, I have a Jeep Wrangler, you could store it in the back when towing. My Jeep is already full.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:54 PM   #5

I have the Traeger Junior with the tailgator kit on it that I pack with my motorhome. I have it in the first compartment on the passenger side. I have a Kingsford charcoal container of pellets and a small container with all of my smoking tools/toys.

I also have a GMG Daniel Boone at home. Both of these work great.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We carry the Traeger tailgater in the first passenger slide compartment. BBq'ing i.e. slow cooking is an activity I enjoy so the trade off of less storage was worth it.
Itsourtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have a Traeger Junior with the tailgater kit, but will be replacing it in the RV with the GMG Davy Crocket. My BIL has one on his houseboat, and it works great. I think the 110v/12v option will make it more versatile, especially when boondocking.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #8

I just purchased a traeger portable grill and have only used it once. I slow cook all the time at home and wanted to do it on the road. The green Mountain may be superior to the Traeger (I don't know) but I do know the Traeger is 20 lbs. lighter and several inches smaller. I have mine sitting in a storage compartment on a plastic storage box lid to protect the carpet in the storage compartment from the grill. I have been using a propane grill for 13 years while RV'ing and have never been happy with the flavor, so decided to make the change to pellets. Bill
taratiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Take the Davy crocket with us if we go out more than a couple days. Works great and cleans up easy.

Mark and Louene Hetrick
Newbee the last VTDP 3725, still smoking
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
RecTec. I put it in the back of my toad. Bulletproof and totally automatic.

REC TEC Grills Trailblazer (RT-340) Wood Pellet Grill - REC TEC Grills
Old 03-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #11

I have a Traeger but keep it at our home.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
We use the Traeger PTG, nice compact and have found for two people that is about the right size most of the time. Room for pizza, scones, plenty of burgers and smoke a butt occasionally. I put a hearth guard underneath it just to be sure it didn't do any damage to the slide out tray. We had the larger Traeger Junior Elite previously but like how compact the PTG is.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #13

Davy Crockett in the basement, love it.

If you go this route, make sure to keep the original box and Styrofoam packing. Cut the bottom six inches of the box off and use the bottom piece of foam as a tray for the stove to sit in. Protects the basement from mess and keeps the unit stable for travel. Used this method for probably three years now.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We carry a Traeger Tailgater in the aft most bay. I like having the larger cooking area for larger quantity cooking at "get togethers" on the road. Couple of points though, first I removed the folding legs and put the wheels on permanently (provides the lowest profile), I set it on a portable folding table for use. I added a pegboard "bottom" to keep the added insulation in place for use without the legs and lastly, although I love my Traegers (I have two of them) the handle design on the tailgater is poor!! After a few trips I found the handle mounting hardware bending and trying to pull through the sheet metal (unit weighs 62Lbs). If you opt for the Tailgater, which is great for RVing, modify the handle mounting. Go to the hardware store and purchase large washers for the handles. I bought two inch diameter washers and sandwiched them against the sheet metal... No more "bending" issues!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TFB30LZB_BRZ_3.png
Views:	128
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	195999