Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Penguin 15k bedroom ac noise

The Ac unit in my DSDP is very very loud. The other two units are not as loud. Has anyone else noticed this, or is this a unique problem?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 02:20 AM   #2

By "loud" do you mean the sound of rushing air through the vents or a vibration type noise all over the roof?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
Community Administrator

I had a thin copper tube that was bent a little ( wasn't before I cleaned the coils ) and caused a terrible vibrating noise. Pushed it inwards about I/4 " and was back to relative quite.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:39 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Mine seemed to resonate more than the front one, but it wasn't a real problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
By "loud" do you mean the sound of rushing air through the vents or a vibration type noise all over the roof?
More of a vibration noise. A very loud almost like a freight train. I would say 4x louder than the front or mid.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my failed front Low Profile Penguin 13,500 BTU with a 15,000 BTU unit a few years back thinking that the extra cooling capacity would be beneficial. What I got was insignificantly perceptible extra cooling and a LOT more noise from the 15,000 BTU.

I was then VERY sorry that I had purchased the 15 K unit.

When I finally decided to replace the rear one because of VERY noisy fan motor and cage bearings, I got the 13,5 K unit.

Now one of these days I will build a deflector to muffle some of the noise so we don't have to turn the TV up so loud to hear the news.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73
The Ac unit in my DSDP is very very loud. The other two units are not as loud. Has anyone else noticed this, or is this a unique problem?
We have noticed the same thing on our 2012. While at Nappanne last year, we mentioned this to our service manager and they reported back it was working as designed. I was outside on the roof with both AC's running as well as listening to both compressors cycling and both units sounded similiar. Now I am thinking it has to do with duct location relative to the units roof location allowing more noise in the rear unit to travel through the duct and into the bedroom.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post

More of a vibration noise. A very loud almost like a freight train. I would say 4x louder than the front or mid.
I agree. The front unit in my Ventana is rather quite, but the rear unit in the bedroom will wake us up at night, especially with the heat pump. If you find a solution, please share it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been reading about the rubber grommets being too hard. I looked at mine, and can verify that they are very hard. I am going to call dometic and see if they have any input. I noticed that there is a Penguin II that at one time claimed to be quieter, but no longer makes that claim. If you look at the older marketing material it says a lot about being quieter. But in reading other owners comments, that appears to be untrue.

I think that DR4Film is correct about why it is noticed in the bedroom, being that it is right ontop of you, and very close to other things. I also am wondering if there is lots of extra cable just floating around inside. I have read others talking about that. I may have to remove it and see what I find.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a thread with the same complaint and if you do have the AC changed make sure a new gasket is installed when done.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Welcome to the club . If you discover a remedy there are multitudes of us eager to hear it. Good Luck.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With all the complainants I wonder if the bedroom AC is mounted differently than front.
No way for me to check BUT the bedroom area is confined with smaller roof area for a vibration to increase the sound in that area not like the large roof area where the front AC has to dissipate a vibration.
The roof mountings I think were mentioned in linked thread, wonder if a double up of rubber mountings might help to isolate the AC operation vibration.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
With all the complainants I wonder if the bedroom AC is mounted differently than front.
No way for me to check BUT the bedroom area is confined with smaller roof area for a vibration to increase the sound in that area not like the large roof area where the front AC has to dissipate a vibration.
The roof mountings I think were mentioned in linked thread, wonder if a double up of rubber mountings might help to isolate the AC operation vibration.
What I have noticed is the 4 corners are using a very hard rubber, maybe even plastic, spacer. This seems to be transferring a lot of noise. I am thinking that maybe a softer rubber gasket at the top and bottom of this spacer will make a difference.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My original unit in the bedroom was no where as loud as the replacement. Whatever the reason I sure hope it is solved before I have to replace the forward unit.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote