Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #1

Penguin II AC Heat pump, repair or replace?

Our Dometic Penguin II roof AC Heat Pump just quit on our 2013 Baystar 3209. Should we attempt repair or just replace?
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 09:57 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
That depends on what's wrong. Likely culprit is the capacitor. Likely less than $50 to replace. My Penguin II heat pump got stuck in HEAT mode in July. It was a bad electro switch. A quick repair with a strong magnet made it an air conditioner again, and the replacement part arrived a few weeks later. Again, less than $50.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #3

Hookup. I’m dealing with a Dometic Penguin II that was blowing hot air and then thermostat quit working. I have service call set up in 10 days and hope it is an easy fix with available parts. PPL said ordering new AC was 6-8 week delivery time. Hope yours is fixed easily as well.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Got my new Penguin II AC/heat pump in a week from Aventurerv.net and got it installed yesterday. Maybe my model is in less demand.

I don't know when they went away from the 5 button thermostat, but if you have that, you will also need a control board so that it will work with that older style thermostat. Swap in the control board and install on roof. Get cool.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJerry View Post
Got my new Penguin II AC/heat pump in a week from Aventurerv.net and got it installed yesterday. Maybe my model is in less demand.

I don't know when they went away from the 5 button thermostat, but if you have that, you will also need a control board so that it will work with that older style thermostat. Swap in the control board and install on roof. Get cool.

Captain Jerry. Do you happen to have the model # of your new unit. I’m looking at the Dometic Penguin II low profile 15,000 w/ heat pump and black shroud. Model # is 651816HXX1J0-01
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Captain Jerry. Do you happen to have the model # of your new unit. I’m looking at the Dometic Penguin II low profile 15,000 w/ heat pump and black shroud. Model # is 651816HXX1J0-01
I just had to replace my unit 651916. 15k ac/hp hi capacity low profile ducted unit. My rv repair shop has an account with dometic. It took almost 3 weeks to get it because of trucking delays. They are in stock if you go through an authorized dealer. Between warranty approval concerns, ordering, shipping delays, etc that is near record time. Took the shop 1 hour to swap it out or he only charged 1 hour labor. I hear others on the forum here say they have expected delivery dates in August on units ordered in March. I feel lucky.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:57 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
enjoyrv:

That is the same model number I got except mine is white shroud. Maybe white vs black shroud makes a difference in how many units in stock. If so, go with what is available and switch your shroud over from the non-working unit if you need a different color. My model # is 651816H751C0-01
My old unit was white and new is white. I kept the old shroud as a spare. Also scavenged out the old fan as a spare.

By the way, I ordered the unit off the internet and had it delivered to my home. Then I took it to a local towable dealer with a tech I have used before and know to be good for the install at their hourly labor rate - took 2.5 hours and I think a lot of that was the changeout of the control board. Some shops may only want to install what they sell. I checked out that they would do the install if I brought the unit before I ordered. I would have installed myself if I had a forklift to get it on and off the roof.

I would look at what is available now if you don't want to wait. If only white is available, take it and move over the old black shroud if it is in good condition.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:31 AM   #8

White vs Black shroud. Not to hijack thread, but several members have posted black vs white shrouds. For AC us, the unit has to work harder in sunlight when it has a black shroud. Obviously black absorbs more heat from the sun, so the unit heats up more. That makes it marginally more efficient in the heating mode in sunlight, but less efficient in the cooling mode. It's up to the individual RV owner what is more important, efficiency and longevity of unit, or perceived style. This also becomes more important for those who are using older 30 amp service, and/or small generators to run the AC. Your mileage may vary.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
Hookup. I’m dealing with a Dometic Penguin II that was blowing hot air and then thermostat quit working. I have service call set up in 10 days and hope it is an easy fix with available parts. PPL said ordering new AC was 6-8 week delivery time. Hope yours is fixed easily as well.
Is it blowing ambient air, or is it actually heating the air and blowing hot air? If it is the later, your unit is stuck in its heat mode, easily diagnosed and easily fixed.

Diagnosis. It's hot outside and your Dometic is blowing hot air inside. Climb up on the roof and feel the air it is blowing up there from the unit. If that air is cool, the fix is easy. If that air is ambient, your unit is toast.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:19 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Check this out --
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/ac-c...ot-402758.html
Old 06-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
White or black shroud. Just get a couple of cans or spray paint for plastic and paint any color you desire.

As for black, yes, it will absorb more heat, but the amount is small. If your RV is dark colored, that will be more of an issue.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
If you’re going to replace the A/C you can order it from Amazon. Free shipping (with Prime), here is a link to the 13,500BTU units in both black and white (both are in stock).

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-64031...26&sr=8-6&th=1

Hope this helps
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 03:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
White or black shroud. Just get a couple of cans or spray paint for plastic and paint any color you desire.

As for black, yes, it will absorb more heat, but the amount is small. If your RV is dark colored, that will be more of an issue.

Ken
Plasti-dip, that stuff is all the rage from the youngsters and it's cheap and looks good and can even be found at Wal-Mart's now
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #14

Thanks to all for the input. I had a mobile tech guy that I've worked with over the years come over and it turns out to be the fan motor. Fairly inexpensive fix.
hookup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, air, replace, heat, heat pump, ace, pump