Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARD View Post
I use Alexa too! But I didn't know about the Echo Spot. I'm gonna have to get one. Thanks Neal for making me add things to my shopping cart. [emoji12]
you might want to read this first
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Sure, and your phones as well. iPhones and Android and apps are always listening. How else would it know to respond to "Hey Siri" or "Ok Google"? You can control all of the above with settings. Some even turn location services off because of fears. This is getting this thread off topic but I personally leave all of the above ON as I want to let my phone work for me. I want my photos tagged with location as it tells a story, the list goes on.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I hear all, its just a principle thing. You pay "big time" for a Class A luxury motor coach and it doesn't even have a clock in it to tell the time by. I got a wrist watch too but that's not the point.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Sure, and your phones as well. iPhones and Android and apps are always listening. How else would it know to respond to "Hey Siri" or "Ok Google"? You can control all of the above with settings. Some even turn location services off because of fears. This is getting this thread off topic but I personally leave all of the above ON as I want to let my phone work for me. I want my photos tagged with location as it tells a story, the list goes on.
There is some value to those things, yes, but when a simple app like a stop watch (clock-ish enough to remain topical?) requires access to your contacts, camera, microphone and messages, something is up you probably don't want.

Neal, I suspect you're a fair bit younger than me or many of the other IRV2 members and most of us are not comfortable with the level of disclosure that more recent generations have embraced. C'est la vie.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
The "Hey Siri" and "Alexa" are called "wake up words". Those few words are programmed into the software local to the device (in the phone). No more words than that.
Once the phone hears "Hey Siri" and recognizes it, THEN it processes further words to the Siri cloud service via the Internet which contains far more sophisticated voice recognition, syntactical understanding, lookup and information services etc.

It's "not always listening" for anything other than the Wake up word.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #34

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
The "Hey Siri" and "Alexa" are called "wake up words". Those few words are programmed into the software local to the device (in the phone). No more words than that.

Once the phone hears "Hey Siri" and recognizes it, THEN it processes further words to the Siri cloud service via the Internet which contains far more sophisticated voice recognition, syntactical understanding, lookup and information services etc.

It's "not always listening" for anything other than the Wake up word.

As far as you know
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #35

We don't bother resetting the clock on the MH microwave unless we are going to stay put for a bit. But...I like the display I think it looks nice even if the time isn't correct.

It does bother me that the gubberment has decided whether or not I get to display the clock or not. Pretty sure the same people that passed that legislation leave their cell phone charger plugged in when they aren't using it.

We have a wall clock above the door. It is new but in the same place as the original clock when they built the MH. Our kitchen is off on its own we would have to get up and go into the kitchen to see the time so above the door works well when chilling on the couch.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Simple solution...

https://www.amazon.com

Take your pick!

TJ
Who needs a 12-hour clock that displays the time but also reads Morning?
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobeBus View Post
As far as you know
Yes, but you can be rest assured (which you probably are not) that enough hackers, security experts, the competition's development team, enthusiasts, etc are looking for exactly that. And so far, it doesn't exist or it would be in high profile news.

So, I don't worry about it. Much larger issue of Alexa overhearing something similar to her name and waking up and sending all next statements to her cloud friends. That has and does happen regularly. We run into that daily doing development of voice services with VR services.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Seneca View Post
Who needs a 12-hour clock that displays the time but also reads Morning?
Well...in Alaska might be useful. And the millennials do they know what AM and PM means? Morning sounds... you know sugar coated like giving all the kids on a team a trophy.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Missed my point Tom, it is the only clock inside the coach (other than the Silverleaf monitor which is concealed behind the cabinet door). Guess I have to now install my own clock.
You should try one of these newfangled flip or smart phones - they have a clock that changes to the time zone you are in!
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
Missed my point Tom, it is the only clock inside the coach (other than the Silverleaf monitor which is concealed behind the cabinet door). Guess I have to now install my own clock.
First world problems
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:43 PM   #41

I'll add non-functional microwave clocks to my list of government Pet Peeves. Along with the Three Handed Gas Cans.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
The only clock I need these days is one that tells me what day of the week it is, that's my clock[emoji23]
Yup, this is the one we have in our coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81SVf7nej9L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	216801  
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote