Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Unhappy Pets ingesting human meds

My one Yorky takes 2 meds once a day for trachea issues. One is a capsule and one is a 1/2 tablet. I take several meds for my heart and diabetes. At night i take just 2. One capsule and one 1/2 tablet. I try to give him his meds when i take mine for the night.
The other evenng i set his and mine out. Closer together sonce we are in the MH. I wrap canned food around his. I did the usual routine except.......... after i gave him his meds they were still on the counter when i went to take mine. Oops!!! I accidentally gave hime my blood thinner and my heart rate Beta blocker.
Called poison control and the closest emergency clinic to Florence Oregon was in Springfield OR. 60 miles away on Hwy 26. Windy highway and night time. We rushed hime there. They induced vomiting and gave him charcol. He had to stay the night. He made it thru ok.$1100.
Please be careful when taking and giving meds. I though i killed my dog for a while.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for posting. Good advice.

Glad to hear it worked out for the good.

Seems like a good thread to post the Poison Control Number for Animals
(888) 426-4435

For those of us on 2 legs
(800) 222-1222

Please store them in your phones.

I am a human EMT but my wife is medical team member of an Animal Rescue and fosters up to 10 dogs and as many cats at a time. Many of the fosters are in less than perfect health so I decided to bone up on my pet first aid skills. I can recommend this book if you would like to know more. https://www.amazon.com/Pet-First-Dis...first+aid+pets
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Thanks for posting. Good advice.

Glad to hear it worked out for the good.

Seems like a good thread to post the Poison Control Number for Animals
(888) 426-4435

For those of us on 2 legs
(800) 222-1222

Please store them in your phones.

I am a human EMT but my wife is medical team member of an Animal Rescue and fosters up to 10 dogs and as many cats at a time. Many of the fosters are in less than perfect health so I decided to bone up on my pet first aid skills. I can recommend this book if you would like to know more. https://www.amazon.com/Pet-First-Dis...first+aid+pets
Thanks for posting those phone numbers. Lucky my Vet answered her cell number. She gave me the number. I thought for sure i had poisoned him. We were so far away from the hospital. Miracle he pulled thru.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #4

*if* the item ingested won't cause more harm being vomited than not, you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. ASK THE EMERGENCY VET FIRST if you can and what dosage for the pet's weight.

We have had to do this twice with ours and always have peroxide on hand, even when traveling. You still will want to see the vet, but sometimes time is of the essence. Again, ASK THE VET FIRST before inducing vomiting this way.

We were actually told to do this by an animal poisoning hotline.
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
...........I try to give him his meds when i take mine for the night............
Nobody mentioned it before, so I guess I’ll be the rude one. Your chosen Med schedule was a disaster just waiting to happen.
Sorry. Suggest you revamp, and put at least a couple of hours between human and animal doses.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuds View Post
*if* the item ingested won't cause more harm being vomited than not, you can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. ASK THE EMERGENCY VET FIRST if you can and what dosage for the pet's weight.

We have had to do this twice with ours and always have peroxide on hand, even when traveling. You still will want to see the vet, but sometimes time is of the essence. Again, ASK THE VET FIRST before inducing vomiting this way.

We were actually told to do this by an animal poisoning hotline.

And just how do you get your dog to drink/swallow hydrogen peroxide?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:09 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was your Yorkie exhibiting any unusual signs after taking the meds?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #8

No signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Was your Yorkie exhibiting any unusual signs after taking the meds?
He showed no signs even after the almost two hour drive. He was nervous and panting, but he doesnt go for rodes in the dar at night. The beta blocker is what they were worried about. Were afraid his heart would slow to much. But he was fine all the next day. They did induce vommiting and infised charcol.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:05 PM   #9

Glad your pet recovered. Thanks for the phone numbers.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Use a syringe with out the needle of course or a turkey baster.
Just had to do our boxer after he got into some rat poison. Time was crucial as the type of poison hits their nervous system and is fatal.
Googled gave us the dose and he puked up the poison immediately.
Dog is fine and crazy as ever.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Easiest with 2 people - tilt their head back and open their mouth, then "pour" the peroxide in or use the syringe method mentioned below. You would have to ask the dosage based on weight, but for a 25 lb cocker spaniel it was only a teaspoon or two so a spoon or one of the mini Oxo 4 tablespoon measuring cups with the spout works great.

I hope no one ever needs this info, but it's worth having for peace of mind.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:28 PM   #12

Mine drink peroxide if offered. If I have to encourage them crushed chicken bullion cubes help.

Chicken bullion also helps with meds they don't like.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #13

I know the feeling, my GSD a few years back eat 45 Arthrits pills she had jumped on the counter to get it, it’s was dog meds for the older GSD luck for her we had been gone only a few minutes and come back because we forgot something. Drove 30 miles to an emergency room it was touch and go for three days but she pulled thru she is 14 now. I’m glad your little guy is all good.

Zzotte