RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Photo of 12v outlet special?

This being our first Motorcoach...we didn't anticipate a few things. Nothing major.

I've decided...a 12v outlet to the left of the steering wheel would have been a smart thing to add. If anyone with a 2015/2016 Ventana added a 12v outlet to the left of the steering wheel...would you mind posting a photograph? Before I start drilling holes...I'm trying to come up with ideas for where it might go.

We added a Garmin RV760LMT...and it seems to be best located on the left front A pillar area. It's out of the way...and viewable from both front seat positions.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You could use one of the 110v outlets in the overhead compartment to run a USB cable to your GPS or TPMS system. I have a video camera on my windshield and did just that on my 2016 Ventana LE. Here is a picture to give you a reference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't have a Ventana, but this is where I put my 12v plug on my DS4018 for my Garmin GPS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 volt plug.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	124151  
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:51 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always tried to avoid drilling holes in the dash of my cars and the coach. Once drilled there's no turning back. When I need an additional 12VDC outlet I taped into power at the fuse panel and added 12VDC extension cords to get power where I needed.

Fuse taps -
http://www.amazon.com/CIRCUIT-PIGGY-...12VDC+fues+tap
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomakat View Post
I don't have a Ventana, but this is where I put my 12v plug on my DS4018 for my Garmin GPS:
Just for clarification, this is where Newmar did the install per my request as a "special".
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #6

I put one on my other coach on the panel by my left knee. On my new one I use the 110 volt outlet for my gps that is to the left of the drivers seat.
Smosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I don't have a photo, but I put two, three socket outlets in the left kick-panel, to the left of the driver's knee. I bought the three socket outlets at Schucks Auto parts. I now can plug in six 12vdc accesories; Gps, XM Radio, Tire Pressure Monitor, and Towed brake monitor. I wired the 12vdc supply from my 12vdc fuse panel under my dash.

It's a handy location where I can unplug all accessories easily from the driver's seat when parking.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I always tried to avoid drilling holes in the dash of my cars and the coach. Once drilled there's no turning back. When I need an additional 12VDC outlet I taped into power at the fuse panel and added 12VDC extension cords to get power where I needed.

Fuse taps -
http://www.amazon.com/CIRCUIT-PIGGY-...12VDC+fues+tap
I agree with Sweetbriar,
I ran the power cord for my Garmin20 into the dash through the defroster outlets and across to the fuse panel where I tapped in a universal 12V outlet to an Ignition On, Fused source so when I turn on the Ignition, the camera starts.
The 12V outlet is just zip tied in place to a harnes next to the fuse panel. Totally out of sight and simple to remove completely if required.

BTW, I also purchased a 2nd power cord for the toad so I just unplug the cam and put it in the toad when needed.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #9

Two power outlets installed to a fused connection. One for the CB Radio and one for the Dash Cam. Easily removed if needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	124205  
Old 04-16-2016, 05:09 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks so much...lots to think about.

I hadn't even looked under the dash. I was under the impression all the fuses were in the forward most drivers' side basement compartment. Guess...I'll have to look.

The idea of secreting the cord in the dash is attractive...but it would require buying a new cord for the toad. These cords have the traffic module built-in....

Again...great ideas. I do appreciate you all sharing them.

Charlie
Old 04-16-2016, 07:14 AM   #11

Charlie,

Here is my setup. It works great for me. The electrical connection is achieved by running the wire straight down into the exterior electrical bay compartment below the driver's seat. There are several open slots on the panel where you can run the wire as a stand-alone dedicated connection with an in-line fuse.

If you click on the photos, you will be able to see more close up detail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0806.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	124220   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9005.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	124221  

jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #12

The attached link depicts the mounting bracket for my Garmin RV760LMT. I found the suction cup bracket that attaches to the side window interfered with the opening and closing of the window shades. I also tried a suction cup with a flexible gooseneck mount; the weight of the GPS was too heavy for the GPS to stay upright. This bracket, mounted into the face plate with 4 nuts and bolts, is the ideal location and stability required. No one likes drilling holes into their console, however, it can be achieved with due care. I had Newmar do mine during my factory delivery PDI on my Dutch Star. On my Mountain Aire, I took dealer delivery (Midway RV), and asked them to do it for me. Both installations went flawlessly.

Jigs

KUDAŽ car custom OEM leather mounts for mobile electronicsGARMIN NUVI mount/adaptor/holder with AMPS template
jigsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #13

I converted the 120v outlet by the seat to one that includes 2 USB outlets. I think you will find that easier and more useful than the old 12v lighter socket.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 07:59 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsup View Post
The attached link depicts the mounting bracket for my Garmin RV760LMT. I found the suction cup bracket that attaches to the side window interfered with the opening and closing of the window shades. I also tried a suction cup with a flexible gooseneck mount; the weight of the GPS was too heavy for the GPS to stay upright. This bracket, mounted into the face plate with 4 nuts and bolts, is the ideal location and stability required. No one likes drilling holes into their console, however, it can be achieved with due care. I had Newmar do mine during my factory delivery PDI on my Dutch Star. On my Mountain Aire, I took dealer delivery (Midway RV), and asked them to do it for me. Both installations went flawlessly.

Jigs

KUDAŽ car custom OEM leather mounts for mobile electronicsGARMIN NUVI mount/adaptor/holder with AMPS template
Did you fasten this to the A-Pillar cover??

It's funny you mention the shade interference. I first tried to stick the suction cup to the front windshield...but due to the curve in the glass...the suction cup didn't stay attached very long...and it's out of reach. Then the drivers window...near the a-pillar. Flat glass...the suction cup sticks nicely, and the unit is within reach...both driver and passenger can see the display. But like you say...the unit interferes with the shades. I like your mounting idea very much.