Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 10:29 AM   #1

Picking up a 2010 Canyon Star 3510

This Sunday we are finalizing the (private party) sale of a 2010 Canyon Star 3510. 30k miles. Appears to have the possiblity of having the Banks system on it as it has the tailpipe. But need to look under the hood to verify.

Before we hand over the $$ and sign the bill of sale, is there anything we should be double checking??

We test drove it a week ago. Seemed to run fine, brakes solid, transmission braking kicked down like it should in tow/haul mode. Only thing we didn't do was take it on a high speed run/interstate.

Generator (5500 Onan) started and ran fine. The 3 slides extended and retracted as they should. A/C ran with the generator going.

Ran a Carfax yesterday to make sure it didn't have a totaled/damaged title. It appears to check out through them. Is there a better source to check for this type of information?

Only real issue, that we know of going into it, is he tagged a mailbox with the rear passenger corner. More of a paint issue, doesn't appear to be structural, but I'm not a fiberglass guy. He said he was quoted $1500-$2k to fix.

The seller is kinda wishy washy and was/is difficult to work with. I also seemed to have more general knowledge of the coach than he did as far as it's specs are concerned. For the price, we appear to be getting a good deal. Well below NADA retail pricing and just a hair above their listed trade in, for what that's worth.

We were able to come to an agreement and settle on the funds exchange (he was insisting on an EFT) to take place. Because of this we are kind of on hyper alert for anything amiss and prepared to walk.

Anything you wish you would have looked at/checked before settling the deal?

Thanks!
ndgper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought mine I made the sale contingent on an independent inspection. The seller was fine with this. Took me about a week to set up and have an inspector come to his place. He checked everything in and out, and rode with me and seller on a 15 mile trip that included highway speeds and hard braking. The one thing that is hard to check for is leaks, you almost need to do in a rain storm. You can check every nook and cranny for evidence of water damage but you can miss something. I bought mine with 20k. Also bought a warranty which has come in handy for some repairs that have totaled about 6k$. My tires were 6 years old last April so I put new shoes all around last Oct--anotherr$5k roughly( check the DOT date on the tires--you have no idea if he really took care of them with proper inflation etc. mine looked great but were 6 years old when replaced). You could ask to have it put on a. Camp site for a couple nights so you could really check everything out--appliances, jacks, slides, etc, etc, etc. you could offer to pay for the site rental and maybe even offer to pay a rental amount per night or a security deposit. I would think if it is without a major problem the seller would be willing to agree to this. If he balks he may be hiding something.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
When we bought our used class c coach we did the same thing. Seller had no issue, we brought it to our mechanic, he gave the thumbs up and we went back and paid for it.

If it's the one on RV Trader it has new tires, batteries, awning and stairs (I assume entry steps) among other things. The stairs in particular seem to wear out, we rebuilt ours two years ago after a couple of the bolts broke off. New tires are a huge plus.

With that year, the roof should be in good shape, but look over the sealed areas, especially from the front and rear caps to the roof and radius (the aluminum pieces that go from the TPO roof to the walls). Also, the slide frame where it attaches to the body should be sealed well. We had a leak there occasionally, Newmar found it last year during the FMCA convention and re-sealed it for us.

As far as the Banks system, you can look in the wheel wells and see the exhaust manifolds on our coach, you should be able to also to look for headers. And, as you have said, looking under the hood will let you know if there's some kind of Banks intake on it.

Coach looks nice in the pictures, it has our color scheme! Good luck with the purchase!
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, it was the one in RVTrader in Saint Peter.

Checked out the roof, crawled underneath with a creeper and generally went through it with a fine tooth comb and didn't see anything amiss. Felt comfortable with the purchase based on what we did/didn't see and in conversation with them. They were very forthcoming with info about their usage of it any any quirks they ran into. If it were any further away and we weren't able to check it out last week an inspection would have been definitely been the way to go. Mental note for the next one...

Tires were dated early/mid 2015. Need to weigh and drop the tire pressure a bit, they were 110. Felt every bump.

It's got the Bank's goodies on it. I don't think it has the programming though, have to figure that out yet. Did not get any sort of literature/documentation related to that that I've seen yet.

After handing over the $$ and signing a couple docs we were on our way home, about 275 miles away.

Zigzagging our way up through southern MN through 2 lane county and state roads until getting to the interstate. I feel that I earned my stripes in the first 2 hours of driving through a variety of road conditions (narrow, bumpy, curvy, hilly, construction, detours, etc..). The interstate was a piece of cake.

5 hours of driving is a little tiring...
ndgper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Defiantly get weight after you load to you satisfaction and lower your tire pressures, will make for a better ride and less stress.
One thing I also added on my gas coach's was a torque bar on rear axel for better tracking and less tail wagging from large trucks and buses.
This link will provide all recalls and TSB's for your year coach plus brochure and owners guide you need.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
Enjoy your coach and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote