Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #15

Hello all,

First post ever; not sure I’ll ever reach the 30,000 mark like some above! I’ve been following the Newmar forum for months and appreciate the collective knowledge contained within it.

My wife and I plan on buying a CS 3927 next year to haul two Harleys, two German Shepherds, and also pull a toad. Weight is a huge concern for us also. There was a loss of cargo capacity when Newmar went from the gasser to the FRED. Their website has the Canyon Star specs listed twice.

-The chassis specs for the gasser are NCCC 4377# and specs for the FRED are NCCC 3900#. I think the CS gasser info is left over from 2020, since they don’t have a gasser option anymore.

-The towing capacity increased to 6000# from 5000#, but the difference between the GCWR and the GVWR decreased and is only 3000#! Any toad above 3000# will reduce your ability to carry cargo in the motorhome pound for pound.

We did tour a 2021 CS 3927 last week and it is beautiful! The CCC is 4018# as optioned. That seems like a lot until you subtract 624# for water; 1700# for motorcycles; and almost 500# for human and dog passengers. (No, I’m not giving you the breakdown of our weights! )

That leaves us only 1194# before we even put anything else inside. Newmar did respond to an email that the lower rear bunks/benches weigh 350#, so removing them will give us more capacity. Even so we may reconsider certain options to reduce weight. Our toad weighs approx. 4500# (Jeep), so that may have to go.

Reference ramp and garage weight capacity: the garage is still listed at a max of 1500#. We were told it’ll hold more but Newmar wanted to avoid liablity and set it at that. People were putting smart cars, etc inside and affecting weight/center of gravity.

Overall, I’m thrilled to have the option of a toyhauler with a diesel engine, but there are weight limitations that go with Newmar’s design.

Thanks all in advance for your assistance.
kfcostello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 11:58 AM   #16

Me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcostello View Post
Hello all,

First post ever; not sure I’ll ever reach the 30,000 mark like some above! I’ve been following the Newmar forum for months and appreciate the collective knowledge contained within it.

My wife and I plan on buying a CS 3927 next year to haul two Harleys, two German Shepherds, and also pull a toad. Weight is a huge concern for us also. There was a loss of cargo capacity when Newmar went from the gasser to the FRED. Their website has the Canyon Star specs listed twice.

-The chassis specs for the gasser are NCCC 4377# and specs for the FRED are NCCC 3900#. I think the CS gasser info is left over from 2020, since they don’t have a gasser option anymore.

-The towing capacity increased to 6000# from 5000#, but the difference between the GCWR and the GVWR decreased and is only 3000#! Any toad above 3000# will reduce your ability to carry cargo in the motorhome pound for pound.

We did tour a 2021 CS 3927 last week and it is beautiful! The CCC is 4018# as optioned. That seems like a lot until you subtract 624# for water; 1700# for motorcycles; and almost 500# for human and dog passengers. (No, I’m not giving you the breakdown of our weights! )

That leaves us only 1194# before we even put anything else inside. Newmar did respond to an email that the lower rear bunks/benches weigh 350#, so removing them will give us more capacity. Even so we may reconsider certain options to reduce weight. Our toad weighs approx. 4500# (Jeep), so that may have to go.

Reference ramp and garage weight capacity: the garage is still listed at a max of 1500#. We were told it’ll hold more but Newmar wanted to avoid liablity and set it at that. People were putting smart cars, etc inside and affecting weight/center of gravity.

Overall, I’m thrilled to have the option of a toyhauler with a diesel engine, but there are weight limitations that go with Newmar’s design.

Yep - our 2016 F150 crew cab TOAD (4 wheels down) is right at 5000 LB. Was looking at the CS 3927 but did the GCVW calcs with TOAD sure penalizes carrying weight. I dont think im in the market this year for this reason, first-year adopter fears, and just getting one in the covid-driven delays and pricing. Im hoping they might review and somehow up the GCVW or reduce the UVW on future years. It sure is tempting though....I might pull the trigger anyway next year if they start cranking them out.

Thats good info on the rear bunk removal. Is that just pulling a few pins or bolts or what? Can I store them and put them back in or are you talking about a "delete" option at purchase?
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:20 PM   #17

PS

Oh and Ive thought about purchasing a UTV or Low Speed Vehicle to solve the GCWV problem and not take my F150 TOAD. But it would be nice to have something street legal so I could legally drive it to the store from any campground or parking area. Anybody have suggestions on 4-wheel street legal vehicles that meet the 1500lb garage limit. I guess I can just take the motorcycle but not a good solution for cold/rain conditions.

Idea: Also-that rear bed lift in the garage looks like it might be multipurposed to lift and support and/or hang a Kayak or other lighter items on the garage ceiling! Our 2-person Kayak weighs less than 100lbs. If the bedding/bunks are removed, it certainly should lift it. Looks like maybe just adding some strap attachments on the ceiling and soft supports & tie points on the lift frame might be needed. Are you listening Newmar?
Old 09-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Hello all,

We did tour a 2021 CS 3927 last week and it is beautiful! The CCC is 4018# as optioned. That seems like a lot until you subtract 624# for water; 1700# for motorcycles; and almost 500# for human and dog passengers. (No, I’m not giving you the breakdown of our weights! [emoji23])

With the limited weight capacity it sounds like the 2021 CS toy haulers won't be able to haul too many toys. I guess sticking a diesel engine under the hood doesn't translate into additional weight capacities or tow capacity. Interesting.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #19

Quote:

I have a 2014 3920 toy hauler.... Mine has the "1500lbs max load" sticker for the garage.

I have three Harleys, and was wondering about the capacity of the garage.. My bagger weighs 920lbs and my softails weigh 740lbs and 710lbs... Obviously, if I take my bagger, I will be overweight if I try to take a second bike...

I do not have the rear bed/seating options, which I hoped would give me some overall weight savings, and affect the garage load capacity..

I wrote to Newmar wondering if the weight capacity is more without the bed/seating....

They answered that the door can handle like 2500lbs, but the garage capacity is still only 1500lbs. They said the floor in the garage is only rated for 1500lbs, and that's what sets the load limit...

Unsure about the rumors that it's really higher but they just don't want the liability. I can only report that the guy who emailed me said he contacted engineering, and they told him the floor is only rated at 1500lbs...

I'm sure any manufacturer's "safety rating" will have a built in safety factor... but what is it? Could it be just 10% (150lbs) or 40% (600lbs)...?? We'll never know..

As Dirty Harry said, "Do you feel lucky?"

PS- When no bikes go with me, my two Great Danes have the run of the garage... they love it!

Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post

Thats good info on the rear bunk removal. Is that just pulling a few pins or bolts or what? Can I store them and put them back in or are you talking about a "delete" option at purchase?
evofxdwg: I have no idea how to remove the bunks. I'm sure a current owner could tell you. I have seen many posts in forums about owners removing the lower bed to install work benches, etc, so I'm sure its not difficult.

The bunk beds in the garage are a $5000 option according to the build sheet. I didn't want to spend money on them but my wife insists on them for grandkids. We plan on storing the lower bunk immediately.

Reference the 1500# floor capacity: I have had multiple motorcycle and utility trailers with plywood/OSB floors that never had that kind of limitation. Just the total cargo weight. I'm no engineer, but why build the ramp to excess (2500#) and limit the floor?
kfcostello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #21

I ordered mine without the bench table. I'm going to put my GoldWing on one side and a Kamado Joe grill on the other side. I also ordered a washer dryer that will be in the garage.
We have 2 king Charles cavaliers that will stay in garage when we are on the bike. Having an A/C unit in garage will be great to keep dogs comfortable.
This thread hasn't been much help on a extended warranty, but shows some interest in toy haulers.
GWHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWHauler View Post
I ordered mine without the bench table. I'm going to put my GoldWing on one side and a Kamado Joe grill on the other side. I also ordered a washer dryer that will be in the garage.
We have 2 king Charles cavaliers that will stay in garage when we are on the bike. Having an A/C unit in garage will be great to keep dogs comfortable.
This thread hasn't been much help on a extended warranty, but shows some interest in toy haulers.
On the extended warranty: I noticed Freightliner is offering "Protection Plans" on their website. This would cover chassis/drive train chassis components not part of the drive train, and not the motorhome part. I know nothing of cost, value, etc. Good luck and let us know your experience.
https://www.fcccrv.com/parts-and-ser...tection-plans/

PS: I don't see "emission control system components" or something that would cover DEF system repairs on that web page. Seems like that would be a big concern these days. Does it cover DEF system or not? Anybody? Never mind. I see those plans don't cover drive train at all, but most of the other components. And I see the basic included drive train warranty covers the "Diesel Emissions 2010" for 5 years or 100K miles. So is Freightliner covering all premature DEF failures ive been reading about here?

Tags
canyon star