Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2020, 08:41 PM   #1

Picking up New Canyon Star soon

We have a new 2021 Canyon Star 3927 ordered and should be here soon. We've been waiting for a while. We ordered in April. There have been many back ordered parts. We've been told, any day now.

My question is about an extended warranty. Do you suggest getting one and if so, how much can these run? Is this purchased from the dealer or elsewhere?

I've been reading about lots of problems on some RV's and wasn't sure if this would be something to consider. I'm pretty handy when it come to fixing things around the house.

This is our first RV and I know there's a lot to learn. Thanks in advance for any advise.
GWHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2020, 08:50 PM   #2

I have a Fleetwood Bounder, and would have saved a bunch of money by handling things myself. You will wind up fixing lots of things because you do not want to wait for an appointment anyway.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

Read all the posts about warranty repairs. You need to be handy and fix most issues yourself if you want to use your RV instead of having it sit at the dealers waiting. See what the wait time is for a warranty repair at your Dealers and then make a decision. I bet they don't want to let you speak to other owners that are having warranty work done.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Read all the posts about warranty repairs. You need to be handy and fix most issues yourself if you want to use your RV instead of having it sit at the dealers waiting. See what the wait time is for a warranty repair at your Dealers and then make a decision. I bet they don't want to let you speak to other owners that are having warranty work done.
Thanks for the advise. I didn't know what to expect from dealer. I will try everything I can think of on the night we spend at dealer.

I like the idea of this being a diesel, but a little concerned about it being the first year.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:33 PM   #5

Numerous owners will advise to pass on the extended service contracts and simply put the same amount of money into a savings account to pay for any repairs encountered. Not a bad strategy, one I use myself. On the flip side, get a quote (or several) from different outlets before you take delivery of the new coach. Wholesale Warranties is one popular company but I thought they were outrageous on my quote a year ago. The dealer will certainly try to sell you a policy, but it's negotiable just like most other items on the contract. Having a figure or two before you go into the financing office will give you an idea if you're getting a decent price. Keep in mind that you have a full year in which to think about it as you're covered by the manufacturers warranty. Just my $.02 and good luck with your new coach.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
The new chassis DP Canyon Star is new to Newmar but I beleive FL has had on market for a while. == Owners Guide === Brochure
As far as everything else in coach its Newmar design as in all their coach's and this sticky will give you a background on any problems.
If your handy you should be able to handle many of the problems that will arise as most of us have over the years with most of our coach's and members here will help you through many of them. Lots of reading of different problems that will about will aid you in finding a solution.
One thing to read is this Newmar PDI to use at dealers when you pick up coach.
Congrats on the Newmar, enjoy and many safe traveling miles when you do.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #7

Looks like the 2021 Canyon Star is the new front engine diesel.
Old 09-17-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
Looks like the 2021 Canyon Star is the new front engine diesel.

Yes. I'm excited to have a diesel in a toy hauler.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWHauler View Post
Yes. I'm excited to have a diesel in a toy hauler.
Did you pick up any cargo capacity over the previous gas versions?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Did you pick up any cargo capacity over the previous gas versions?

Yes the FL will add 3" in height on cargo. I guess every little bit will help.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #11

HaHa, I think hohenweld was asking about cargo "WEIGHT" capacity.

Congrats, this diesel chassis looks like a good move by Newmar, especially for the toyhauler floorplan. Now if they could just make a flat rear cargo door for use as a deck
Old 09-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #12

The cargo weight is 3,900. I'm not sure what is was on the gas models.
  • Length 39 ft 11 in
  • Dry Weight 26100 lbs
  • GVWR 30000
  • Interior Color Linx
  • Cargo Weight (CCC) 3900
Old 09-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #13

Newmar website shows 4477 for net carrying capacity.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 PM   #14

Nice. Does it list maximum weight limits for the ramp and for the garage floor?

Tags
canyon star