Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2022, 10:14 AM   #1

Pictures of Newmar's Replacement Seat Covers

I contacted Newmar about the cracking seats in my 2017 VTDP. They're willing to go 50/50 for new covers. Does anyone have pictures of what the new covers look like? I suspect the estimate for the covers will cause me to go to a local upholster. Still a picture of the finished result might help me to decide.

Someone mentioned elsewhere there is a person who worked for Flexsteel that makes replacement covers. Again pictures of their work would help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #2

Pictures of Newmar's Replacement Seat Covers

I also got the 50/50 cost from Newmar but found that Lisa will sell real Ultraleather cover for less than factory replacements. Hers were identical to the originals but youíll have to find someone for the install and pay extra for that service.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	355786

You will need your cover information tag which is located and stuffed in the springs of your front seats.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:51 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I just got mine a few weeks ago. They're the same seat covers you have now. On mine, they no longer had my color, so I selected a new color.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I just got mine a few weeks ago. They're the same seat covers you have now. On mine, they no longer had my color, so I selected a new color.
Did you do the swap of covers yourself?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:30 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just finishing up replacement of the Captains Chairs seat covers (dog wear) on the Winnie -- final tweak before RVTrader listing. Got identical replacement covers from W and pulled the seats out of the coach myself. After removing one cover, decided to bring both to an upholster to do the cover swap. Removed about 30 hog rings on the one seat. Might have been easy enough to get hog ring plyers and do it myself, but $75 to finish the swaps seemed decent deal (vs my time). Just have to put the skirt on, remount the chairs, & reattach the cables ... and kiss it goodbye
VDPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Did you do the swap of covers yourself?
I guess a need to tell this story.....the piping on the underside of the driver's right armrest wore away, mainly from rubbing my leg. I called Newmar and tried to buy just the cover for the armrest. They wouldn't sell me the cover but said they would replace ALL the material in the coach. I told them the material was good, I just needed the armrest. After a couple of emails, I said okay.

Newmar had me provide material product numbers and photos of all my furniture. They said once the material arrived, they would pay to have it installed. I guess they typically mail it to a dealer. My dealer said once it came in, I could bring the coach over and a local company would remove the sofa and captain's chairs and bring them back in a week. Again, I only had one armrest that was an issue. I emailed Newmar and asked if I could just have the material shipped to my house and I would pay for the installation myself at a later date. They said okay.

Unfortunately, my material was no longer available. Newmar sent me 10 similar samples and we picked a new color. Since we have the dinette and four chairs, I asked if they would send a couple of extra yards of the material, so I could recover the seat cushions, which have the same material as my sofa. To my surprise they said I would be getting four new dinette chairs.

This all sounded crazy to me, but I really appreciated Newmar stepping up. I think they declined to fix just one thing, knowing that several more pieces could go bad in the near future, consequently, they replace everything.

A few months went by, and things began to arrive at my house. First was a large box with the sofa and front seat material. A week later, two brand new ottomans arrived. A week after that a brand-new recliner, nicer than the one I have now and with a taller backrest. Just before we left on the trip we're on now, four brand new dinette chairs arrived in our wood color, two fixed and two folding.

I will add that we had very few issues with our coach and most warranty items I repaired myself. We never had the furniture peel in our 2014 DS and have no issues with the furniture in our 2019 DS. Even after explaining the issue with the armrest, Newmar was adamant about replacing ALL the material. I didn't argue. The woman I worked with was a sweetheart and kept me abreast of everything they were doing.

So.....I don't know what the requirements are to get material replaced, but we've bought two new Dutch Stars, are original owners of our 2019 DS and its only 3 model years old.

I've owned two Dutch Stars and I can't say that they've been trouble free, but neither coach has ever left us stranded and between Newmar and my dealer, they've always stepped up to replace broken parts.

All the new material will go into storage until the original stuff starts to wear out or will sell the coach. Someone might get an all-new interior.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 08:25 AM   #7

We had both captains chairs replaced by Newmar for flaking problems two years ago. Late last year the passenger chair quickly was hit with a severe case of flaking. We decided to have both reupholstered by an auto upholstery shop capable and willing to do the job. The job should be done by the end of April and I will update. Do you think Newmar will help pay for any portion of the job? It will run us around $2k for both captains chairs.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:29 AM   #8

Mine is a Bay Star Sport so I expect the seats are much different. Mine started flaking within the first 6 months. Newmar agreed to replace the covers but it took most of a year for them to get to it with covid and supply chain issues. They did a nice job and the material certainly is not the same as the original. Itís not been very long but Iím happy with them so far. Even if they eventually fail Iím ahead of the game now. But Iím choosing to be optimistic.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just had the sectional couch recovered by Bauer Upholstery using their original Flexsteel pattern and UltraLeather Original fabric. The cost was $995 for each section. A lot of material and pieces. I had a local Upholsterer do the recovering of the material; $600 labor.

The Captain and Co-Captain chairs were done by Recovery Room RV Interiors, Riverside, CA now retired. Same material as couch, pick-up, recover, deliver and install for $2,100. I might have saved $150 to $300 had I gone the route of the couch getting covers done by Bauer and using a local Upholsterer, who knows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5331A71D-F9E6-4F78-BA81-93929574F30A.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	356187   Click image for larger version

Name:	55758DFE-0198-4F16-9CEA-08BAD3F16120.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	356188  

Jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags