Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #85

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by md_procouple View Post
We STOPPED using both Flying J and Pilot, due to their new company policy of not flying the American Flag, because it would "Offend Some People of other nationalities". We since finding that out we have canceled our "membership, and sent them our cards back in pieces with an explanation of why. Never did receive a letter or phone call trying to find out more info. or explanation. We have since found that Loves Travel Stops are the same price, and often near by.
While it's ok to be misinformed it's not ok to misinform others or continue to spread false information, please check your facts.

LMGTFY
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthooker View Post
I have cut mine up and threw it in the trash. Flying J refugees to fly the American flag because it offends some of their foreign truck drivers. Forget all the American blood that was shed, forget the lives that were lost, forget the families that have sacrificed so much. What a disgrace. If saving a few cents is worth supporting a company that refuses to fly “Old Glory” than maybe you might want to take a knee at a football game. For me I stand for the National anthem with pride with One Nation under God.
While it's ok to be misinformed it's not ok to misinform others or continue to spread false information, please check your facts, especially if you plan to lecture others on the topic.

LMGTFY
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
While it's ok to be misinformed it's not ok to misinform others or continue to spread false information, please check your facts, especially if you plan to lecture others on the topic.

LMGTFY
Thanks for posting the facts. I hate false news. Pilot and Flying J are great places to get fuel at. It is best to use the noncommercial pumps though, if you can. The commercial pumps often have extra road taxes added to the price for the commercial vehicles in many states.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:06 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Thanks for posting the facts. I hate false news. Pilot and Flying J are great places to get fuel at. It is best to use the noncommercial pumps though, if you can. The commercial pumps often have extra road taxes added to the price for the commercial vehicles in many states.

Most places ( I haven't been in every state), just go in and inform them you are a Private Motorcoach and they use the correct price.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Speaking of fuel cards.

So, while I think it's great that some want to use the small stations and not pay at the pump of the big truck stops, for those of us that do, is there a card available to non fleets that will allow paying at the pump at Loves and TA/Petro ( think they and Pilot/Flying J are the most common truck stops) or do you have to get Loves and TA cards to pull this off? Essentially, have a card for each of them if you want to be able to pay at the pump for any of them?
Pilot/Flying J have the RV Plus card. Set up with your 'code' and never go inside. You get an email about 2 weeks before they debit your account. Good Sam members get 8cents ~ GS Elite 9 cents~~ off per gallon. Loves I tried and no go, they only want big purchases at the diesel pumps.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:12 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
Pilot/Flying J have the RV Plus card. Set up with your 'code' and never go inside. You get an email about 2 weeks before they debit your account. Good Sam members get 8cents ~ GS Elite 9 cents~~ off per gallon. Loves I tried and no go, they only want big purchases at the diesel pumps.
I have the RV Plus card, looked at Loves last night and it seems to be geared towards fleets/professional drivers and the same with T/A-Petro.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
We rarely buy diesel from the big 4 truck stations with our 41' DP. Even gas buddy not much help. We just keep our eye out for price then look for enough space for 60' with toad. Saved us hundreds $ over last 3 years.
Yep - same here. Flying J has a lot of bio diesel blend so I have to take that into account as well - up to 20% IIRC. Cummins says not to go over 7% bio for my engine.

The best way that I have found to save on fuel prices is to use my Sam's Club MasterCard - it gets you 5% off.
VinceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryHomer View Post
No need for the Flying J / Pilot credit card.

Same price with your own credit card if it gives you 1% reward.

Get a Flying J / Pilot Frequent Fueler free & instant card. They even have a RV Frequent card. This card gives us Pump-Start (no need to go in before fueling) and cash price when using our own credit card.

Cash price is about 5 or 6 cents lower than credit price. And at 1% rebate, $3/gallon fuel price = 3 cents and $4/gallon it = 4 cents.

Add cash price saving and credit card rebate, you get the same or more than the Flying J credit card...

BTW, we only use truck stops and never use a pump island that also dispenses gasoline. Too many pick up the wrong nozzle out of habit from filling auto. NOT worth the risk for a moment of forgetfulness.
Are you sure about this?

The rewards card won't start the pump, at least it never has for me. It will give you the discount but you still must pay before pumping-and the rewards card doesn't work in the truck lanes AFAIK unless you are paying with a fleet card.

PFJ no longer offers a rewards card at all according to their website. They offer a discount of $.03 through their app for gas or auto diesel.

Those of you considering rewards cards should note that no personal credit card will work in the truck lanes of PFJ or the other major truck stop brands.

Learned the hard way after I got the PenFed card.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:49 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
I applied for a Flying J card, but it hasn't come, and now I don't think I'd even use it. I get a 3-4% rebate from my Costco VISA card for fuel purchases, but I don't know if that applies to Flying J fuel. I've tried calling VISA to ask about places like Fred Meyer fuel and others, but they can't tell you anything. They either don't know or don't want to investigate fuel rewards at these places.

I can use my VISA card or I can use my CFN account, according to what others have said in this thread, so I think I will just do that and forget about the Flying J card...
Your Costco card will not work in the PFJ truck lanes. It will work inside but you won't get the rebate since it will not be coded as a fuel purchase when you use the terminal inside the store.

Someone upthread has a CFN card and it works at PFJ but you won't get the discount.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Most places ( I haven't been in every state), just go in and inform them you are a Private Motorcoach and they use the correct price.
Can you give me an idea what states this applies to?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post

Most of the time I have been charges the road tax even though they know I am in a RV. Often the noncommercial pumps are difficult to approach in my rig.

Was in a tight station one day. Started my planned pullout There was an open parking spot in front of the store that was just what I needed to get the front and the back of the rig to swing without fear of removing something or someone. A lady shot into this spot with lighting determination! She obviously thought that I was going to "get it" before she would. 40' + a car!! Realy??? My fantastic () driving skills kick in and we made it out without harm or harming. on that one.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 PM   #96

Although I may spend a couple of dollars more, I really appreciate the fact that when using the card the pump does not shut off at $75 or $100. Filling the 100 gallon tank $75 at a time can really become annoying, especially after a long day on the road.
PatriotMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaark View Post
I've been using mine for almost a year and have had very few times when I couldn't get to a Pilot/Flying J to get my .08 discount for diesel.

I have had mine since 2013 and use it all the time, for diesel for the MH and for gas for the pick up and motorcycle.

Diesel used to be .10 discount and gas is still .05discount. It ALL adds up!!!!!!!
roya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:03 AM   #98

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotMike View Post
Although I may spend a couple of dollars more, I really appreciate the fact that when using the card the pump does not shut off at $75 or $100. Filling the 100 gallon tank $75 at a time can really become annoying, especially after a long day on the road.
AMEN! brother. This is most irritating when that restriction is the only deal around and the price of fuel has increased by $0.75 or more a gallon since they put the restriction in place. And, the pump is very, very slow supplying fuel to the tank.