RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pipe insulation?????

yes, I still own the 98 itasca. but a new to me 2001 dutch star 3852 has come into our lives. faucets all leak underneath the counters. I can only assume that the pipes froze. Looking through the coach basement I found that none of the plumbing has pipe insulation on it????? WHAT???? very strange stuff....

So, I guess for a new price of $169k Newmar expects owner to insulate the plumbing themselves???? wow... my "ole winnie" product was set for winter weather with plumbing in the insulated floor so none is in the cold basement. I'm a bit old and fat to be crawling around in that basement, even through it is big enough so that I could use it as a chicken house....

Any suggestions on how to keep all the pipes in the basement from freezing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu View Post
yes, I still own the 98 itasca. but a new to me 2001 dutch star 3852 has come into our lives. faucets all leak underneath the counters. I can only assume that the pipes froze. Looking through the coach basement I found that none of the plumbing has pipe insulation on it????? WHAT???? very strange stuff....

So, I guess for a new price of $169k Newmar expects owner to insulate the plumbing themselves???? wow... my "ole winnie" product was set for winter weather with plumbing in the insulated floor so none is in the cold basement. I'm a bit old and fat to be crawling around in that basement, even through it is big enough so that I could use it as a chicken house....

Any suggestions on how to keep all the pipes in the basement from freezing?
The pipes donít need to be insulated. Your furnace will heat the wet bay. There is a heat duct with a fan in it that will supply heat to the wet bay when furnace blower is running.

Rotten-Red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

No point putting insulation on any piping because all it does is delay the freezing process. Need to apply heat - either to the general area from the furnace or from fan heaters or in extreme cases from trace heating UNDER the pipe insulation
Old 01-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
pex pipe can drop hot water temps about 5 degrees every 10 feet. I'd guess that there is at least 25 feet to the kit faucet. I have found that I put a 60 watt electric incandescent bulb in the wet bay the pipes won't freeze if they are insulated. I heat my entire 12x12x8 pump house with 2 bulbs. Haven't had a freeze problem yet. heat in water tends migrate upwards, so heat the bottom and the top will not freeze. This is the principal for my solar water heater.....

Then there is the chafe and heat transfer issues that insulation prevents. In residential pipes have to be insulated from the framing members that the pass though.

Lastly, I insulate the hose from the hose bib to the rv wet bay. 60 degree water keeps it from freezing On really cold nights a slow drip at one of the faucets really helps. I also insulate my phone and electrical lines, why? you ask? Keeps rodents from eating the soy bean insulation material used in modern wire insulation.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Hi lonfu,
As you probably know, insulation just slows down heat loss, never eliminates it. If the water has no heat source, eventually it will freeze and burst no matter how much insulation there is.

So...folks let the water drip in cold temps so that the fresh water has some BTU's in it that keeps the line from freezing (that has insulation).

But if you don't have a heat source (heat strip or other), then insulating the pipe does little to protect the pipe that has no water movement. False security.

There is some benefit of insulating the heated water line so that the heat stays in the pipe and doesn't enter the basement so the water remains hot all the way to the outlet.

Chafing is a side benefit, but pex is pretty tough and a well made coach has grommets or enough clearance that the insulation doesn't add any benefit.

In residential, the use of insulation (or spray foam) around pipes is usually to minimize noise from the pipes expanding / contracting as they move water around. RVs typically don't have that issue, especially with Pex. Copper pipes in a stick home (slightly older homes) are more susceptible.

Rodent? They will get through that insulation in a few minutes.

If the OE put insulation on the pipes, you would pay more for the RV. Apparently there isn't enough benefit to do so.