Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #1

Hi All,

As per a previous text from cwg, the plastic oil dipstick tube on the K2 ISM 500 is 3.5 in from the Turbo.

What I did for a fix is to remove the screw
at the dipstick end, re-route the tube
to the left side of the metal trans stick tube.
This now gives me 6.5 in from the turbo.

I will also look for a heat shield tape
to add to the section nearest the turbo.

One less problem caught in midstream. Thanks
for the tip cwg

Bruce
07 45 Essex 4502
EasternAirLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #2

Hi All,

As per a previous text from cwg, the plastic oil dipstick tube on the K2 ISM 500 is 3.5 in from the Turbo.

What I did for a fix is to remove the screw
at the dipstick end, re-route the tube
to the left side of the metal trans stick tube.
This now gives me 6.5 in from the turbo.

I will also look for a heat shield tape
to add to the section nearest the turbo.

One less problem caught in midstream. Thanks
for the tip cwg

Bruce
07 45 Essex 4502
EasternAirLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:04 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Bruce, glad you were able to figure out a fix...

Chuck was on the side of the road a LONG time as a result of this issue.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #4

Bob

Sounds like the same problem I had with the Mountain Aire. I started a topic in Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum "Oil Dip Stick Tube" in May. Spartan had a recall issued for the ISL-400. Don't know about the ISM.

Robert M
Robert M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:30 AM   #5

Bruce

My problem with the dip stick tube melting was caused by the tube being tied up with a radiator line, not being close to the Turbo. Sorry.

Robert M
Old 08-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #6

Does any one out there know how accurate the dip sticks are supposed to be? Mine is showing that it is over filled but I was told if it was over filled it would blow out or have some evidence of oil coming out of the motor. I checked for diesel smell and anti-freeze, neither seem to be in the oil. 2500 miles and this coach seems to not use any oil.
Thanks, Daryl

2008 MADP 4521
2006 Acura TL Toad
Old 08-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #7

After Spartan changed my tube and dip stick (the second time) the oil level was right at the full mark. I had the oil and filter changed at the same time they put the new tube and dip stick on the coach. The first time they sent the wrong tube and stick. It showed that the oil level was low. Once I checked with Spartan Rep again he confirmed that I had been sent the wrong one. I know this doesn't answer your question but I wonder if you may have the wrong tube and stick installed from Production??

Robert M
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 AM   #8

The ISM dipstick tube burn through is a result of turbo heat. Spartan will replace w/o charge if burned. The replacement tube has a heat shield "sock" slipped over most of the tube. Takes less than an hour to replace.

If you burn one, wrap the burn area in something like duct tape and then wrap a couple layers of aluminum foil over the area as a shield. I went some 3,000 miles with that repair w/o a problem. Only lost a quart or so of oil before the repair, nothing after. Easiest to reach for repair coming from the bedroom access cover.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #9
cwg

Spartan has come out with a new solution for the melting dipstick oil tube... their former fix was to place an insulating piece of hose or stocking over the plastic. It is now a metal tube and only the top couple of inches is plastic (allowing flex for the stick to be inserted).

A friend had one installed by the roving Spartan techs in Florida (who were on the road for the fan belt upgrade) so when I was here at Spartan I had them replace mine also. It is something you will have to request, but they gladly will do the repair under warranty.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
Spartan has come out with a new solution for the melting dipstick oil tube... their former fix was to place an insulating piece of hose or stocking over the plastic. It is now a metal tube and only the top couple of inches is plastic (allowing flex for the stick to be inserted).

A friend had one installed by the roving Spartan techs in Florida (who were on the road for the fan belt upgrade) so when I was here at Spartan I had them replace mine also. It is something you will have to request, but they gladly will do the repair under warranty. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi,

I'm currently sitting at Newmar, and requested that Spartan replace my oil dip stick as a preventative measure, because of problems others have had. They said it wasn't burnt through so they won't replace it. If it fails, they'll replace it later (after it makes a big mess, and maybe have to be to towed ). Short sighted and a little foolish IMHO. Guess I better ensure I'm carring duct tape and aluminium foil.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
cwg

I would sure call Chris McCord at Spartan headquarters in Charlotte and talk to him about the fix. I can guarantee my friend had it replaced by Spartan... and it was merely preventive.

I am also at Newmar and talked to a fellow today who came in with the problem of oil all over his tow. I called him outside and explained that I would bet donuts to dollars that he had a melted dipstick. Looking with his flashlight we sure enough saw it was leaking at the tube.

I went into highline and told them they owed me a $5 bill for the diagnosis.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwg:
I would sure call Chris McCord at Spartan headquarters in Charlotte and talk to him about the fix. I can guarantee my friend had it replaced by Spartan... and it was merely preventive.

I am also at Newmar and talked to a fellow today who came in with the problem of oil all over his tow. I called him outside and explained that I would bet donuts to dollars that he had a melted dipstick. Looking with his flashlight we sure enough saw it was leaking at the tube.

I went into highline and told them they owed me a $5 bill for the diagnosis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where are you located?? I'm in the overflow area. I walked by the red toad that was coated with oil, and wondered if that was the problem. My appointment (and warrenty) are concluded and I'll be heading out tomarrow. Overall I'm not real happy with how certain issues worked out...But, that's another story.

Just went out and checked the proximity of the dipstick tube to the turbo. Spacing is about 1" or less. So, I'm a bit worried about this issue. I could call Chris McCord, but the coach has been here for 2 1/2 weeks, and I have to get back to work. I fully expected that it would get changed while they the coach here. I flew back in yesterday, and found out this morning it wasn't done, and the reasoning behind it. Like I said, I feel it was short sighted...but, I don't have any more time to deal with it right now. I bought the MH as a form of recreation, and it's becoming more like another full time job. The way my luck runs, it'll fail the next time I'm on vacation, so that I'll have to visit yet another service center rather than get to my destination.

Just once...Just one trip without diverting to a service center....That's my dream and my goal.

I sought out Norm Payne and introduced myself...We had a good conversation. I didn't realize you were here too, or I'd have looked for you.

Sebastian
Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #13

Regarding the dipstick burn-through (ISM/K2). You probably will never have this happen if you rarely use WOT (wide open throttle - the positively hottest time for a turbo) for extended periods as in really big, really long, and frequent mountain upgrades.

Having said that, I did have a burn through (I am a major mountain maniac) and have had the insulating sock solution in frequent extended WOT use for nearly a year and not even a hint of a problem. FWIW, it would appear the original fix will work fine and for many folks, no fix at all will work fine.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:29 AM   #14
cwg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SX_RVing:

Where are you located?? I'm in the overflow area. I walked by the red toad that was coated with oil, and wondered if that was the problem. My appointment (and warrenty) are concluded and I'll be heading out tomarrow. Overall I'm not real happy with how certain issues worked out...But, that's another story.
Sebastian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sebastian,

We were on the regular lot for service for the past two evenings, but I think the rig will be finished this afternoon and we will be on our way.

There may be another solution to having your dipstick exchanged.... the mobile techs crisscrossing the country doing the fanbelt upgrade are equipped with the new metal dipsticks. You may wish to inquire as to when they will be in your area (at a dealer) and make arrangements to have the upgrade. I am not as optimistic as the Jeff (RV Dude) as to how few are affected by this since I was disabled on the roadside for an entire day and not allowed by Spartan service to move the rig.

BTW, so far Spartan said they have fixed over 400 K2 fanbelts thus far on the road during this campaign.

I was also able to meet Norm Payne for the first time at the service center and enjoyed speaking to him about his full time travels.