Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2021, 02:22 PM   #15
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
It's also possible the check valve in your water pump is stuck open, letting the water backflow through the pump back into the tank.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check out this post. Shower miser

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sY62yMCg0zdTlr

The fresh water tank overfills when on city water and the shower miser in the on position
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:14 PM   #17

Is it possible that the black tank rinse hose was connected to the fresh tank input? Just thinking aloud....
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:19 PM   #18

Tom (Sartor),

What happens when you disconnect from shore water and use your water pump (toilets, shower, sinks, etc.)? Are you getting water flow?

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:50 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all for the insightful posts! Sorry for the slow response; I've just gotten back to the RV and am catching up on everything.

To TJ, no, my RV does not have a "City Supply" position such as shown in the photo you attached. It only has two positions (90 degrees apart): "auto-fill" at 3:00, and "manual fill" at 12:00. I believe the equivalent of "city supply" is to put the valve lever at "auto-fill," but then to turn *off* the auto-fill function at the control panel above the driver's seat. In that condition, I believe that the fresh fill valve simply remains closed, and one uses city water only.

To RKins, no, I wasn't using the black tank rinse function at all. Just city water connected to the city water connection, with the tank in auto-fill mode. And all of a sudden the auto-fill won't seem to shut off, so it just keeps filling the fresh tank past 100% and overflowing out that drain.

To Mr.Mark, if I turn off city water altogether, and just run with water pump, all is fine. Still get flow at all faucets, and no overflow (since nothing is filling the fresh tank of course).

So based on all of the input, it sounds like my problem is precisely what several have suggested, related to this "shower miser" thing. But my still open question is the proper *setting* of the shower miser knob in my shower. The probem is that there is just this 1" square knob, immediately above the water control (on/off) lever, with absolutely no labels on it whatsoever, and operating it while the shower is running doesn't seem to make any difference in anything that's happening in the shower, and so I've never been able to figure out what the darn knob is for!

I understand what people are describing: the idea of a "recirc" function (just like I have in my home, with a Rinnai recirculating water heater), where hot water can be run through the hot water line, and then get "recirculated" back into the fresh water tank, so that hot water is run through the pipes all the way up to/close to the shower head, so that when you finally turn *on* the water you can get "immediate" hot water, rather than run it for a minute or two filling up your grey tank. I've got the concept.

So what I need confirmation of is this: is that indeed what that square knob is doing? And what position should I put it in? In my shower, that knob has s small threaded hole in the middle of one face of it, and that knob can be rotated 180 degrees, such that that face with the threaded hole can either face *down* (6:00 position), or to the right (3:00 position), or *up* (12:00 position). Which position does it need to be in to turn OFF the "shower miser" function?

And my next question is this: why the heck does shower miser allow the "auto-fill" function to keep filling the fresh water tank *past* the 100% point, and thus cause overflow? Shouldn't the control function of auto-fill have "priority," such that it stops water flow into the fresh tank, even if shower miser is on? Seems like a design flaw to me!

But in any event, I am incredibly grateful to this community for all of the valuable insights shared in helping me figure out what's going on with the fresh tank overflow. Once I get the answers to the above about how to properly set the shower miser knob to turn it OFF, I can hopefully confirm that that was indeed the problem!

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 PM   #20

It sounds to me like you may have hit your low point drain valve when stowing the waste hose. Double check and make sure that valve is off.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:00 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GWBGE...nope, checked that first. See my initial post where I pointed that out. that drain valve is off, and still operates correctly. And that drain point is different than the overflow drain point. Fresh tank drain is at wet bay on driver's side; overflow drain is by pegboard bay on passenger side (I didn't know what that drain was until it was explained to me by responses on this forum, but that's where I saw the water coming from).

Thanks for your reply though!

To other folks monitoring this thread, please don't overlook my (hopefully final) questions on my immediately preceding post. I'm still looking for information about the "shower miser" valve so I can try to confirm that that's the issue I'm having. Thanks!

Tom
Old 04-13-2021, 07:02 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Oops...responding to GWBGE again: I just noticed that you were suggesting the *low point* drain, and not the *fresh water* drain. But no, neither of those are the issue. All the "intended drain" valves (fresh, cold low point, hot low point, black rinse drain point) are all off, and the fresh water is not coming out of any of those drains. It's the *overflow* drain on the passenger side.

Tom
Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 PM   #23

Tom, I had the same thing happen. Unfortunately, it was about two years ago and I don’t remember exactly how I resolved it. I can tell you it was not the shower miser—at least in my case.

I rarely use the auto fill and rarely to never use the manual valves in the wet bay. I believe this happened when I was using auto fill from the screen above the driver’s seat. If memory serves me correctly, I stopped the overflow draining by turning off the city water access and using the water pump for a few minutes to lower the fresh water tank level a bit. Turned the city water back on with auto fill disabled and no more drain from the overflow.

In my case it has not happened again—perhaps a stuck valve or some kind of siphon effect.

Gary
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:13 PM   #24

Tom, I'm just going to throw this out about that square knob. Once you turn it to whatever 'notch' that you want, does the knob pull out to lock it? I've seen that in a hotel before.

Safe travels,
Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
To LeslieGary, yes, if I turn *off* the auto-fill function (via the control panel above the driver's seat), then I can have city water supply on and the auto-fill *valve* in the wet bay still on "auto-fill," but no problem with overflow. Overflow only happens if I *enable* auto-fill at the control panel. But I never had an overflow problem before, and hence I'm thinking it *might* be associated with this shower "water miser" thing, if I can get some more info from somebody about how that gets turned on/off within the shower. Again, the square knob in my shower has no markers at all indicating what it does in any position.

To Mr.Mark, great suggestion, but no, just went and checked: can't pull/push the knob at all. It only rotates 180 degrees, with no indicator of what it does in any of those positions.

So still waiting for info on how to turn on/off "water miser."

Tom
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 PM   #26

Is the "full" sensor in the FW tank working? If not it may not be sending a signal to the control board that no further fill is needed. Just my thought. I never use the auto fill myself as I usually never fill the tank unless I intend to boondocks a short period. No sense carrying the extra weight with my 360hp coach.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 09:03 AM   #27

Sartor

The shower miser is the bottom knob with the 3 positions- shower, sprayer, and recire valve. Recire is at the 10:00 position on our 2018 ds.

With the auto-fill turned off on the panel and city water on and everything works as it should I would think the shower miser is not the problem IMO.

In post #7 you stated your gauge goes on the fritz at times. If the sensors are bad and the gauge shows 0% the auto-fill will open and fill the tank. (if I understand it right) There could be lots of things that can make this happen, this is only one. Hope this helps.

Harlan
Old 04-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
I've got a 2019 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan, and all of a sudden this morning fresh water started pouring out from under the coach. Specifically it is coming out of a 2" diameter black flexible rubber drain that exits from under the coach about 6" in from the passenger side, beneath the front end of the pegboard compartment (rearmost storage bay on passenger side).

I can't figure out *where* exactly that drain comes from, and what prompted it to suddenly start pouring out there. The fresh tank is now completely empty, and if I turn the city/shore water connection on/off, I see the water start/stop pouring out from under there. So it's definitely affiliated with the fresh water suppply, but I'm not sure if it's affiliated with the fresh water *tank* or something else. I can't figure out how to even get at the source of that drain from inside the coach. It lines up with immediately in front of the bedroom slide, so between the half bath and bedroom.

I'm aware of the valve in the wet bay compartment, all the way in the back/left behind the macerator pump, that is the intended fresh tank drain valve, and I've confirmed that's closed and operating properly (open/close it and I get that drain flowing/stopping).

But can someone please help me figure out the source/cause of the water flowing out that flexible 2" black rubber drain under the passenger side by the front of the pegboard bay?

Thanks!

Tom
Sounds to me like it's the fresh water tank full sensor that's gone bad. If I remember correctly- I think this an external prox switch on top of the fresh water tank accessible behind the pegboard bay on the curb side basement door. I would try jumping it & see if the water flow stops? could also be the overflow shut off valve- you can test it by running a set of 12 V jumper wires from another 12V source - like a cargo bay light- to activate it.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water