RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2010, 12:17 PM   #1

Porcelain Tile

Has anyone undertaken to remove the carpet in the living area and replace it with porcelain tile?

I am considering doing this work but I would like to get some feedback from people who have done it. What I am looking for are:
1) Were the rollers under the large slide-out changed for smaller one?
2) What sizes of rollers were used?
3) Can you use rollers other than Newmar's?
4) Did you have to adjust the slide-out after installation?
5) Has an electrical grid been installed under the tiles for heating?
6) Considering the flex in the floor, what make of cement did you use to overcome this problem?
7) Any potential areas that may turn out to be a problem?

Your help will be greatly appreciated?

Best Regards,

Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Gaetan,

Neat the top of this thread there is a search feature. Not the search this thread but farther up the page to search the entire forum. If you search on "porcelain tile" you'll get a bunch of threads on this subject.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetan Lavoie View Post
5) Has an electrical grid been installed under the tiles for heating?
6) Considering the flex in the floor, what make of cement did you use to overcome this problem?
You can install an electric heat pad in the floor. SunTouch Floor Warming 10 Ft. x 30 In. (25 Sq.Ft.) Radiant Floor Warming Mat (120V) - 12001030R at The Home DepotYou will have to follow manufacturers directions. If you click on "More Info" you will find a download. Read it.

You need to use a flexible polymer modified motor mix. Look for something that says it is for use over flexible plywood subflooring. And try to refrain from using large tiles. The smaller tiles (8" or smaller) will hold up better and combined with the flexible grout and adhesives, will resist popping better. Don't use marble or travertine.
Custom Building Products Acrylic Mortar Admix (AMA) 2-1/2 Gallon - FLB60 at The Home Depot
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #4

I undertook this same job in November when we arrived for the winter here in Florida. It's a major undertaking, IMO. Tore out the carpeting and found that Newmar lays a 3/8 inch underlayment under the ceramic in front of the sink/counter/cooktop. This was confirmed by talking to Newmar in one of many calls. I had to install 3/8 underlayment to bring the new tile flush with the old tile. After installing the new tile in place of the carpet I had to adapt the "ramp" that the rollers came up on as the driver's slide is a flat floor slide. The cement that I used had the highest latex content that Lowes carried. This for elasticity. The rollers have to be replaced with a 3/8" thinner diameter roller. There are five on our slide. I have them on order now as the first replacement rollers that came from Newmar were the wrong ones. They're not cheap. About $56.00 each. Did not put electric heat under the new ceramic, so can't comment there. If you have ceramic in front of your appliances and also at front by the steps, you will probably see that the lines between the two are not in alignment. We installed a 2" wide ceramic border around the sink, counter, cooktop tile and then installed the 12 X 12 tiles. The border kind of distinguishes the "kitchen" from the "living" area. Everyone that looks at the coach now thinks it looks great. We think that the coach seems bigger in the living/kitchen area. Would I do it again? It's a lot of tedious work. Cutting tile around around the front seats, at angles up front, around the steering column, and etc. after doing the same for the sub floor is a challenge. Especially being full timers with a limited tool supply. But it was worth it. There are some other forums to look at as one of the other people replied. Good luck.
shadrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:26 PM   #5

Shadrock,
Did you replace the tile in the front entry or just use the same type tile and continue it toward the kitchen?
Can you post a picture of your new flooring?
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #6

No, I did not replace the entry tile. My wife picked out a contrasting ceramic tile to what came with the coach. That's the reason that the 2" border was installed. To break the lines from the kitchen ceramic to the entry ceramic. I have not got the foggiest idea how to attach a picture to this reply. BUT, either this afternoon or tomorrow morning, I will do my best to find someone here in the park that can. Have patience with a computer illiterate.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

Maybe this'll work. And maybe it won't. But I'm trying. Take note of the border around the old ceramic to the new and the contrasting colors and highlights. The coach does seem larger and it's so much easier to clean now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas, 2009 017.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas, 2009 018.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	2499  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas, 2009 019.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	2500  
Old 01-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrack View Post
No, I did not replace the entry tile. My wife picked out a contrasting ceramic tile to what came with the coach. That's the reason that the 2" border was installed. To break the lines from the kitchen ceramic to the entry ceramic. I have not got the foggiest idea how to attach a picture to this reply. BUT, either this afternoon or tomorrow morning, I will do my best to find someone here in the park that can. Have patience with a computer illiterate.
Thanks for your reply. I will be looking forward to your pictures. I have
been thinking about putting tile in my living area, for years, but thought
it would be too much expense and labor to remove the original tile in the
entry,kitchen and bathroom.
Tom

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #9

I just saw the pictures. it looks great.
Tom

Old 01-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #10

Thank you to all who have provided some comments.

There is still one thing that bothers me and it is the floor which I believe is a chip board construction. From what I read it is not very good for tiling. I read that an Anti-Fracture Membrane may be applied over the chip board and this membrane may help. Does anyone have experience with membrane or have simply tiled over chipboard? Your comments would be appreciated.

Regards,
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #11

Gaetan
In my discussions with Jeff at Newmar and also an EMail from them, Newmar does lay the ceramic floors on a 3/8" CDX base over the floor. That's what I had to lay in order to bring the new ceramic level with the factory installed floor. Hope this may help. The biggest problem, though, is getting the right rollers for the big, flat floor, slide.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:21 AM   #12

Consider Congoleum Duraceramic. We put it in our kitchen in the S&B house. It looks just like ceramic tile and you can grout it, too.

It's flexible, which is good in an RV, it's lighter and softer to the touch.

We had several factory ceramic tiles crack in out Ventana. They were replaced under warranty.

Congoleum Corporation
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
shadrack:

WOW, nice pics, BEAUTIFUL job. Was at first kinda skeptical when you described adding contrasting tile continuing from the existing, but man!!...it looks GREAT! Nice job guys!!. .....So, ya gonna hire out??? Steve & Lynette
Old 01-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Hello Shadrack,

We have been talking about getting rid of carpet and replacing it with tile. Our carpet is on the dinning/seating side or our MH. The work you did is outstanding and gives us some motivation to undertake this project. Thanks for sharing.

RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote