Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 05:12 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Portable satellite antenna

We have in motion satellite antenna on roof. Problem is it seems here lately we have been blocked by trees. If we did purchase a portable antenna, would I have to get on roof to connect input? Only coax inlet I have seen is in bay by power cord and if not mistaken that is for cable TV inlet. I am more confused at looking at bedroom control panel as it has HDMI plug on wall and coax.
Thanks for any help and after our road trip today I will be able to take pictures.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Portable Sat Antenna

If you can locate the cable that comes into your receiver (sat in) you can just disconnect that and connect the portable. My coach also has a external coax connection that you may also use. Then there will be another connection inside to go to the receiver.

No need to do anything on the roof.

With the portable determine if you have HD now. Most of them only are SD. So a lot depends on what kind of receiver. You need to get a portable that is compatible with your receiver.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:43 AM   #3

like most with a portable, we originally ran our coax thru a window, but over time I knew that we needed a more 'permanent' option - I ran coax cable from the receivers and down into the wet bay, which had other plumbing and wiring going up into the coach, and can connect either our portable or the tripod mount antenna there since I keep several 50' and 100' cable runs for the portable.
I typically carry our portable on the rear of the roof, on a temporary 'mount' that allows me to move it around on the roof if needed, or down to the ground when trees are in the way. With it mounted on the rear of the roof, near the ladder, it's a convenient place to 'store' it while traveling, and I can just climb up the ladder if I need to move it to the ground.
You could probably do the same, though you'd need to run a line from the roof entry of your existing cable input area, and back to the rear of the roof where it could connect to the portable. I keep my extra coax wrapped around the rear a/c unit, too.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #4

Someone with a Dutch Star chime in here. I would think any 2015 coach would have a tripod connection either in the wet bay or power bay.
Are you sure you don't have a connector marked "tripod"?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
We have in motion satellite antenna on roof. Problem is it seems here lately we have been blocked by trees. If we did purchase a portable antenna, would I have to get on roof to connect input? Only coax inlet I have seen is in bay by power cord and if not mistaken that is for cable TV inlet. I am more confused at looking at bedroom control panel as it has HDMI plug on wall and coax.
Thanks for any help and after our road trip today I will be able to take pictures.
Dave - I had the same problem - my coach does not have a satellite input connection in the basement. My answer was to run a coax down the drivers side windshield trim - and exit it in the Onan compartment. The trees block my Winegard dish when we're parked on the lot - so I connect my permanent DTV dish with this cable. I don't understand why Newmar does not install a satellite input - to me this is an odd omission.
Jon Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:45 AM   #6

You can use the cable connection on the outside of the coach if there are no splits in the cable between the outside and the receiver. I have a Northern Star and there is a switch box in the front. All of the inputs go into the box and then are distributed based on what you select. In my case, connecting an external antenna was easy. I connect the antenna to the coax cable connection in the power bay. I removed the cable from the switch box and put it into the back of the receiver. I took the cable output from the receiver and put it into the switch box. I also ran an HDMI cable to the front TV and ran another HDMI cable to the back TV so I could have HD on both TVs. You do not need to run the HDMI cables but I wanted HD on both TVs. Works great!

I have the X2 portable dish and I use Dish network so I can get HD on the portable dish.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Someone with a Dutch Star chime in here. I would think any 2015 coach would have a tripod connection either in the wet bay or power bay.
Are you sure you don't have a connector marked "tripod"?
We just went through this when ordering our coach. It is a special you have to request otherwise there is no connection. It's called "prep for ground tripod satellite dish on ODS with A/B switch.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:54 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I just prepared my 2015 DS for external satellite connection, having overlooked it as a special when ordering. I got a good A/B switch for the entertainment cabinet, and fished a coax cable out the back of the cabinet, and then behind the molding at the corner of the windshield (which is easy to remove). At the bottom of that, I fished a metal rod, about 1/8" x 36" down into and through an insulation "blob" in the generator area. Finally, I used the rod to pull the coax through.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, satellite