Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Old and reliable rarely are used in the same sentence regarding motorhomes. Especially motorhomes that have been neglected. There are several systems that will wear out due to use, misuse and/or nonuse. Finding parts for old units can be a frightening experience. Having said that, I like my old coach. But I no longer think it was a great bargain. I hope most of the derferred maintenance and repair issues have been identified, but new surprises are frequent. Unless you are quite handy, and have a strong budget, you may wish to keep looking.

It can certainly be frustrating, but each one you look at will give you more information which will be valuable.
tbbg II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 07:50 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum if you decide to stick with the Newmar lineup for a used coach I have links below in my signature to answer many of your questions on a Newmar.
There are many good used Newmars on the market that people have been purchasing lately that will put this one to shame because of the neglect, tires are a priority on a used coach so need to be looked at first. Michelins will give many years of good service if taken care of.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Chianese View Post
Are you dealing with Camping World in Clayton or is this the lot that is on 70 before Goldsboro?

We are presently at the State Fair grounds in Raleigh. We will be at the Cooper's RV campgrounds on Bus 70 in Clayton starting Tuesday. If you need help look us up. We will be glad to help.

You do not want to deal with a dealer that starts off lying.

You buy sewer hoses at CW, not motorhomes.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #18

If the coach has been that badly neglected I would be very concerned with the entire running gear, Engine, Transmission, Breaks, Shocks, etc.
It the roof was so bad I'm sure you have hidden structural damage.
RUN RUN RUN !!!!!!! and don't look back
Old 10-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #19

Since I found an interesting Monaco, figured I'd go check out their forum. One of the top stickies implies "let's see if we can beat the newmar folks in mods.". Little bit of a rivalry going on?
Eilatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #20

I'm sure if you don't walk away from this one you will be sorry for the length of the loan. There are plenty of good used Newmar's out there. Keep looking.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome Eilatan!
After looking at a 03 Dutch Star 4007 we really liked the quality and the floor plan. Prior to that time we were looking at 5th wheels and Class A coaches. About 3 years of RV shows, dealers and web searches (including this very helpful site).
We were bent on the DSDP in the 02 - 04 range. I had financing in place for 3 different coaches that all appeared to be "the one". For various reasons none worked out. Usually sold before I would pull the trigger. We looked at a couple of Mountain Aires which were a bit older in our price range. I was looking at an 03 MADP at a local dealer at the same time as another gentleman. He made an offer to buy to the dealer before I even got inside to ask some questions. Another one gone.
I was pretty unhappy and it must have shown. the sales manager told about a Kountry Star they just took in and had not yet advertised but were prepping for sale. It was a 2005 model and pretty close to our price range. Model 3907 was very similar to the original Dutch Star.
We made an offer, dealer countered and we accepted. Not exactly what we initially were looking for but very clean with low miles and mechanically sound. We have only been out 2 times so far but everything has worked perfectly.
Very long story short, be patient, keep researching develop a relationship with a couple of dealers and have them search. I still get an occasional email telling me of another coach in my price range.
There are indeed plenty of fish in the sea.
Good luck in your search!

Rick & Sue
2005 KSDP 3907
Michigan
CoachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilatan View Post
Since I found an interesting Monaco, figured I'd go check out their forum. One of the top stickies implies "let's see if we can beat the newmar folks in mods.". Little bit of a rivalry going on?
Not to much now because their top mod person is now over here "Dutch Star Don" you can check his DSDP Mod's in QT's # 3 along with a few other people.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:18 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
ilooked at the one at cw in clayton NC low milage but walked away very bad feeling.seen to many problems in less then 5 minutes. Roof leaks for one Also had very bad smell like mold or something
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:51 PM   #24

Yes, Aschuh that's the one. They told me they had to completely redo the roof from inside out in the front. The front 3 ceiling sections are new. It did smell a little musty when 1st going in but I attributed that to being closed up. I guess I should call them tomorrow and cancel the sale. I'm not in a rush since my current contract goes till mid December, but I need to have something by then cause I plan to go to Florida next.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:05 PM   #25

Eilatan welcome to the forum and to the group. I think you have received some excellent advice, one other thing you may want to check. As the coach had water damage, make sure it wasn't written off by an insurance company. If it was you can run into lots of extra work
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Eilatan if you want Im here in NC you can give me a call if you would like I know where I bought mine and the people was great and the price was al so good PM me Ill give you my cell
aschuh53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #27

Thank you everyone for your advice. I did walk away from buying the dutch star. I am now the happy new owner of a 97 HR Endeavor 37 WDS. The buying experience couldn't have been more night vs day. I made some new contacts for service though not exactly in my back yard. The coach is clean, runs great and the price was even lower. I'm heading to Fla mid December for my next contract. My pets will have a place that's more like home and I'll have real furniture!

Here's a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6409467_1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	110604   Click image for larger version

Name:	6409467_26.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	110605  

Old 10-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to tomgauger
One more thing to add to this mix: The tires.
Tread life is rarely an issue with RV's as they don't get the same amount of mileage as an automobile.
Those tires are waaay past useful life if made in 2004. Check to DOT info on the tires.
The last four digits indicate the week of the year they were made. "5011" means the 50th week of 2011. Four or years is considered "useful life" on RV tires. Sidewall deterioration is the problem due to sunlight and UV. If you look closely at your tires and see cracking, the tires are toast. I would walk away unless they are giving you new tires.
tomgauger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar