Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM   #1

Possible delamination? and need advice

We are in the process of possibly purchasing a 2004 MADP 4301 with 3 slides and a tag axle from a private couple. The owners said the motorhome has always been kept under a carport or garaged (as it presently is) since they purchased it new. This will be our first motorhome purchase.

Yesterday we hired a truck diesel mechanic who has some experience inspecting motorhome chassis. While he and the owner's son were trying to figure out why the HDW levelers weren't working, I walked around the coach looking for any bulging in the sidewalls. While sighting down the right side I found an area approx. 2' sq. ft. that was bulging outward slightly starting just below a vent that was a couple of feet forward of the bathroom window. I knocked on the area and the area adjacent to it though it was difficult to hit it because of it's height. The area did sound different than the areas adjacent to it, and it did move inward slightly with each strike. I know it's possible that the bulge is due to delamination but it seems difficult to believe it is considering the overall good condition of the coach and that it has been kept under cover. I'd like to get some opinions as to whether or not it might be delamination. It would really help to hear from other Newmar owners that may have bulging in the same area. Probably would have helped to have gotten a shot from under the vent looking straight up.

Also, something else happened that really has me concerned. I decided to have the engine, transmission, and generator oil, along with the engine and generator coolants analyzed because the MADP has over 70k miles and the owners apparently didn't keep all of the maintenance records. When I arrived, I was told by the owner's son that he had changed the engine oil a day or two before. Apparently the old oil hadn't been saved. Any thoughts about whether or not I'm being overly concerned about not being able to sample the old oil?

Other than the levelers not operating, some grease fittings not greased, and a slight leak below the hydraulic pump, the mechanic thought the engine, transmission sounded OK and he thought the coach ride seemed OK during a relatively short test drive.

We have decided not to hire a second inspector for the coach systems until we get the fluid analysis results and have gotten a chance to review any available maintenance records. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-19 10.02.22.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	71449   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-19 10.02.11.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	71450  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-19 10.03.55 cropped.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	71451  
Aurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you and below in my signature are links to more information for the Newmar.
I will say for 70K miles the DP is about broken in would not worry about oil's.
Here is a HWH PDF for jacks.
SPARTAN CHASSIS INFORMATION
By the pictures hard to see delamination there should be no bulge unless the metal stud was not in straight to begin with, delam would have ripples on the surface under a window or vent not a whole fiberglass panel with movement.
Some good dealers in FL. to answer some of your questions you may have or even Newmar repair center.
Good luck in your pursuit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Aurum,
I was not able to see the bulge in your photos. If you do have a bulge, it would be an anomaly. I know of no trend and have friends that had an 04 MADP. Do what allows you to sleep at night. That is the only way to be comfortable with the purchase.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Newmar does not use laminated sidewalls so it's not a delamination. There could be something else going on in that spot.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #5

That's the dryer vent. It's possible that the vent hose has come off and has been blowing hot damp air against the inside wall.
As said above, Newmar walls are not laminated, but are fiberglass attached to plywood with insulation behind it. It's possible that the plywood has gotten wet/damp and swelled.
Just my amateur observation......
Nice looking coach BTW.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

Hicks I believe you are correct regarding the vent being used for the dryer and what you said makes sense. This coach has a stacked washer/dryer at about that location. The motorhome has moved very little in the last year as the last trip they made was late summer of last year. If it was caused from the wood swelling, it seems that it should have dried out by now even though the coach is located in FL. I wonder if it would be possible to draw the bulge in. If the bulge remains as it is I don't think it will affect anything and I doubt few if any would notice it, but I'm trying to think ahead for when we go to sell it.

007, GaryKD, and Route 66 thanks for the input.
Aurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #7

As I think about it, the wood could have dried and the swelling could have receded, but still left a stretched hollow void. That may be what you're seeing.
Again, just a guess, but I doubt it is anything catastrophic. I'd have a look though.

Tags
advice