RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

Possible to add dimmer?

I have 4 of these lights installed over my dinette and they are just way too bright. I would like to add a dimmer. I know there have been issues with lights burning out. I have had my MH since April, have been out quite a bit and so far no issues. A friend thought these could not be dimmed as they have electronics that might be there to voltage regulate them as the house batteries lost charge so they would not dim along with the battery, so lowering the voltage to the lights might not work.

The new switch I am looking at has 3 wires and the current one only two but there is a ground wire running (not used for this particular switch) right next to the switch so it would accessible for a splice.

On the other hand maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

All thoughts are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_084123.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	274491  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #2

I tried to find product data on your lights to see if they are compatible with a dimmer switch, but I couldn't find any information - sorry. Some LED lights will work with a dimmer and some won't. Hope someone else can find some info for you. I've struck out.

tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
I tried to find product data on your lights to see if they are compatible with a dimmer switch, but I couldn't find any information - sorry. Some LED lights will work with a dimmer and some won't. Hope someone else can find some info for you. I've struck out.
Actually Most Don't.
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #4

Probably no dimming. Those COB designs are wide-voltage (like 9-30vdc) and designed to give constant output as long as the input is within the voltage range. Going outside the range is when the chips start burning up.

Personally, I'd put dots on its eyeballs until the problem went away. Try using little squares of tape to see what the effect of dimming them would be, and then color them with a black sharpie. Sharpie erases easily with lacquer thinner or goof-off.

An alternative would be to shade the lens (cover) with a screen.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:35 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Possible to add dimmer?

I added a dimmer switch to the reading lights over the bed. It worked great until Newmar replaced all of my ceiling lights after 20+ failed. It doesn’t worked with the replacement lights. The light in your photo is the same as my original lights.

Here’s a link to my mod:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/bed...ml#post4256100
flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post
I have 4 of these lights installed over my dinette and they are just way too bright. I would like to add a dimmer. I know there have been issues with lights burning out. I have had my MH since April, have been out quite a bit and so far no issues. A friend thought these could not be dimmed as they have electronics that might be there to voltage regulate them as the house batteries lost charge so they would not dim along with the battery, so lowering the voltage to the lights might not work.

The new switch I am looking at has 3 wires and the current one only two but there is a ground wire running (not used for this particular switch) right next to the switch so it would accessible for a splice.

On the other hand maybe I should just leave well enough alone.

Old post - https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/sti...-428679-3.html

Post #30
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
HI!

I know this is a Newmar Owners Forum question and I don't currently... and have never owned a Newmar.

But help is help.... Right?

Completely different brand I know...but my previous 2016 Bounder and my current coach both have dimmable led's on all round ceiling lights.

First, probably a long shot... but what kind of switch do you have? Mine has a button that I can press on and press off..... but if I press and hold it dim's down, I press and hold again and it dim's up. No one ever told me and I figured it out after more than a year of ownership. Doubt this helps but its worth a shot.

Second, if my coach has these dimmable round ceiling led's, if you need me to...maybe I could find out what they are and you could order some to replace yours.

Third, I see it says your in Payson... do you ever come down to the Valley because, when some of the lights were burning out prematurely in the Bounder, I ordered a set of replacements from a company in Florida called "Jupiter Lighting." They said before Fleetwood decided to change vendors they made the lights for years and the plugs matched exactly. I have a bunch of these (+20) and if you got one or two from me you could try it in your coach to see if it works.... with a switch that dim's. If yes you could order whatever you need.

Or just search "Jupiter Lighting" and call them yourself and tell them of your problems and maybe they have a solution.

Let me know if I can help.

Good Luck!
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidceder View Post

I'll take you at your word, even coming from a non-Newmar owner.

I've successfully used this dimmer switch on LED lights:

Name:	Dimmer Switch.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	274516

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The 3 wire connection looks like this:

Name:	Connection.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	274517

This switch works to dim LED lights by True Pulse Width Modulation. The switch effectively turns the light on and off at a speed that's not detectable by the human eye. As an example, at half intensity, the LED is only on half the time and off half the time, cycling on and off faster than you can see, effectively producing only half the light than if it were on all the time. The voltage applied to the LED remains constant (12v).

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #9

You have to research the lights you have. LED's must be designed to dim. If not designed to do so, all the dimmers in the world will not work.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:07 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If they're too bright al the time and you don't see a need for them to ever be that bright again, how about attaching some window tint to the inside of the lens. Try different tint shades until you get the lights the way you want them.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:17 AM   #11

A couple of screens will give several levels of masking. Try two bits of window screen cut to the size of the lens. Lay one over the other. "In phase" they will let as much light through as a single layer of screen would. But as you rotate or shift one "out of phase" it blocks more and more light. Find the level you like and fix in place.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:27 AM   #12

It might be easier to jut replace the lights with lights of less lumens and/or lower kelvin rating. Contact M4 lighting and they may be able to help you out.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #13

Looks like you have six led segments...could try covering up three of them perhaps? I don't believe these type of LEDs are dimable. I know what you mean about them being too bright, great for an operating room, not so nice for ambiance. Some friends have these in their rig, you need sunglasses at night.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
It might be easier to jut replace the lights with lights of less lumens and/or lower kelvin rating. Contact M4 lighting and they may be able to help you out.
What's a Kelvin rating, and how does it affect brightness?