Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

Possibly changing drive axles fluid on Dutch Stars

On the late model Dutch Stars do we have Meritor or Detroit drive axles?
And if so, how many of you follow Freightliner's recommendations and change the fluid at 6,000 miles then every 15,000 miles or 12 months.
Seems like this is sort of over-kill but if their recommendation is not followed and something goes wrong back there would we be hung out to dry?

And how do we find which axle model we have in order to know how many quarts of fluid is needed?
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

A call to Freightliner's , free help line will get you the diff, number and the trans serial number and the engine serial number. All you need is your chassis vin when you call .

1-800-385-4357

Be very sure you get the correct capacity , I was changing my diff, fluid and had it on good authority of 16 PINTS capacity , I was under the coach with a 12 quart drain pan, actual capacity is 16 quarts on my coach. At 78,000 miles I do an annual fluid check after driving , with the fluid warm , no sign of milky fluid ; indicating water contamination; of debris on the magnetic plug and I'm good for another year.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

That's amazing. 16 quarts. My previous 36' Itasca Meridian, 330 HP Cat, XC Freightliner, was only 7 quarts each time I changed it. Wouldn't have thought a couple extra feet in length would make that much difference in the rear drive assembly.
I'll give FL a call first of the week, and sure hope mine doesn't take 16 quarts. That'll be over $100 just for fluid.
Thanks for that information.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, fluid