RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 06:59 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Post your positive experiences with 2018-2020 deliveries (Please?)

Iíve been reading through some threads from the past couple of years by folks who have taken delivery of new coaches. While doing so, my morale has taken some pretty severe gut shots. Some of the stories Iíve read of Newmar quality failings make one reconsider the value of purchasing a new coach (which I am in the process of doing). I know itís unrealistic to expect a perfect coach, but come on!

So, in keeping with Edís first theory of the internet which says that people are more prone to post about negative experiences, Iím soliciting posts of a more positive nature here in the hopes that there is, in fact, another side to the story.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!
Ed

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 07:25 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi - Took delivery last August. There were some issues and Newmar has fixed them all. Should most of those flaws been found before it was shipped? Of course. Did we get ulcers over it. Of course not. We have been treated well and expecting a product with this many parts to be perfect is an invitation to the crazies. Nothing in the first year ever stopped us from using the coach or doing what we wanted to do.

Same experience with the "18 DSDP.

Write your check and enjoy the ride. Newmar is a good outfit.

Tom

Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #3

We purchased a 2019 in November. It had been on the dealers lot for most of a year so both house batteries and the chassis battery had been neglected and failed promptly while we were on the road. Newmar promptly reimbursed us though. The refrigerator failed three weeks into our first trip. This certainly isn’t Newmar’s fault and again the warranty covered it - though it certainly was inconvenient. Our water heater was hit or miss lighting on gas and this too isn’t Newmar’s fault. I expect I could have gotten it fixed under warranty but I replaced the control board myself with an upgraded one from dinosaur. Notwithstanding these issues I’m very pleased with the overall quality, fit and finish and especially with Newmar’s customer service.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:32 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Canyon Star 3921:

Bought a '15 CS 3921 new off the lot in Spring 2015 from our local dealer, it had almost exactly what we would have ordered. I wasn't knowledgeable enough about a good PDI to really evaluate it. But I found out 2 weeks later after our first local shakedown cruise when I called to report a problem with the propane cooktop that during PDI they had found a kinked propane line deemed it unsafe, capped it and ordered parts; but for whatever reason the salesman didn't convey that to us or tell us to schedule a service appointment for the fix. So PDI 1 - salesman 0 on that one.

We didn't have any other problems with that MH that sould have been caught during PDI. But I was glad I bought local as I took it back 5 times over the course of the next year (3 of 3 Dometic ACs failed but of course not at the same time, Newmar had a recall for the toy hauler gas pump, on demand water heater had a recall). I think 3 or 4 of those repairs were while I waited.

Fast forward to the Ventana:

We bought from the same local dealer. Ordered in Aug of '18 for Dec '18 delivery of a 2019 Ventana. At the time we ordered I scheduled them to do a few installs for me during PDI of things I wouldn't want to do while it was cold or icy or snowy out (added the UV/water filter housing used in a King Aire to my wet bay and some roof top fan covers) since they could do these indoors and I wouldn't be able to tackle these until mid-Spring when I really wanted to be out using the RV instead.

During the PDI they discovered the driver en-route from Indiana to MD hadn't been running the heat and there was damage to the water lines in a few places. We were at the dealership when the unit arrived from transit and watched as they took it inside the heated shop until PDI completed so we know it didn't happen after the dealership took possession. They found and fixed a few minor cosmetic things over the course of a week that they did the repairs and requested installs. During that week I "borrowed" the RV twice from them to practice driving (my 1st DP had a learners for my class-B) and to take my drivers test (they provided a CDL driver to take me to the MVA and wait for me to complete) and I also was up there doing my own PDI for a few hours after my practice drive. As they pointed out - why would they rush the PDI - it's a chance for them to make $$$ from Newmar for fixing things, either way they were going to get my $.

I took delivery as they were sending folks home early for Christmas break and they hadn't had a chance to do the paint correction that they saw in their PDI. So they made an appointment for me to bring it back 3 weeks later after their paint guy was done with vacation - and told me they would work of whatever else I found over the holiday myself too. I think I found 2 more things prior to that appointment and they addressed those as promised.

Due to some issues with a paint / fiberglass issues on my FWS I made an appointment at Newmar in late Oct and had them work off the 18 things that were on my list headed into the end of my 1st year of ownership. None of those things got in the way of any of our trips. Newmar had the unit for 9 work days as the one repair required them to completely repaint the forward part of the FWS and that took 5 days since they had to do multiple paint layers.

I'm pretty picky and I want things done right which is why I do a lot of work myself. When I was getting my Expedition ready to tow 4down I found that the Ford factory hadn't seated the wiring harness for the front fascia correctly - so even the car industry isn't as perfect as we'd always like. My first return to the Ford dealer on my Expedition I had them look into 2 other defects - and yet it's probably been the most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned.

I do think there is some luck to the draw on what issues your unit will have. Over my 2 Newmars half of my issues have been with Newmar items and half with their subs (Dometic). But my dealer or Newmar has stepped up and fixed everything so far.

That said I think the dealership you work with has a lot to do with how satisfied you will be. We aren't full time and I wanted a good relationship with my local dealer so I didn't sweat the 1-2% that maybe I could have shaved off the price if I'd gone farther away.

The folks in the service department recognize me when I come in and I always treat them with respect and I'm treated that way in turn. I know that the RV industry is adding vehicles left and right and the service department is booked far in advance, I can't blame them for that. So I set my expectations when I have to deal with them trying to make sure I get them anything that will minimize the number of visits and or waiting on parts.

Good luck on your purchase and PDI!

- Richard
RandDescape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:48 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you read my thread about by 2019 factory delivery, there is a lot of details if issues I posted.

I said this in the thread: I am being very picky, and 90% of items are those that no one else would have noticed or cared about. Newmar still made me happy!

You shoukd not hesitate based on quality. Either choose a reputable dealer, or do factory pickup. Either way, you will not regret it.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 02:14 PM   #6

Took delivery of our 20 MADP in April, left for CG, first night the inverter failed. Went back to dealer, Newmar overnighted new one, left dealer went home. MH spent next 2 months in RV garage, then July 6 left for the mountains. Got to Atlanta, no rear air, went to NIRVC for diagnostic, they said AC was faulty. They said they would order one from Newmar, would install on return trip. Got a call Thursday that AC's are all on back order because of covid. Called purchasing dealer on Thursday, said they were booked month of August, but would try and fit us in. Haven't heard from them yet.
brynwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We had a factory pick up Feb Ď20. Training and checkup of the coach was great. We left a day early because of a snow storm coming in. We learned, practiced and in some cases re-learned. It was a great experience. Only problem we had was a surging water pump which they replaced. On the way back from Fl we had a wire break in the harness connecting the air bags and jacks which prevented the air bags from filling. Freightliner fixed it promptly. No other problems after the first 6 months of use. Our second Newmar.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #8

Ordered our Ventana late Feb and just picked it up on July 14. Our dealer, NIRVC, had the coach prepped and ready to go. All systems had been run and tested. I don't know what they found, but all systems were working perfectly when we arrived. Did about a 5 hr PDI, then spent the nite on property. We found one minor item and it was promptly fixed. So far, we've spent 7 nites in it and no issues.
The combo of Newmar and NIRVC is hard to beat.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Our factory delivery was excellent. This was our first RV and DW wasn't 100% all in yet. I had researched enough to know many dealer deliveries didn't uncover factory defects and many had problems right out of the gate.

Cost was significant, but the value was achieved. Because of scheduling quirks and extreme weather in Nappanee our coach received two weeks of care and attention prior to us arriving. Well over 200 hours of Service time was expended to get it right. Many of the items were cosmetic, but others could have manifested into significant issues down the road.

Our tech, Phil, really worked the coach over. It was obvious as he demonstrated each and every item on the PDI check list that he had first hand knowledge and experience on our coach relative to the item. For example, our BR vanity slide sticks when deploying and I need to push it into full extension. He showed me the slide topper and how he had adjust the tension. We came to agreement about what was tolerable and prevent the pooling of rain later.

We left the factory confident in our rig and comfortable that the quality was were we wanted it. Best money we invested in the rig.

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My 2019 had a ding in the refer door, which I swapped the logo over to the other side to cover it, a drip in the paint, which Newmar tried to correct and made worse, but I've pretty much buffed out and a roof A/C that didn't blow cold. It was replaced. All found during the PDI.

With the above said, I look at RV's differently than many. I look at the best quality and bang for the buck, which Newmar was for me. I realize these RV's are NOT Honda Accords, built and painted by the thousands, by a robot. They are a one off custom build by a human being. Rarely does the chassis or other things, like the refers, that are built by the thousands, have issues. Again, just the hand built items. People seem to expect that their custom built motor home is going to be made EXACTLY like their Honda Accord. It's just not realistic.

Newmar produces about 3500+ RV's a year, yet there are only a few hundred people on these forums. Many are here to learn and work on their RV, but many are talking about every little issue, while thousands have wonderful experiences. Consequently, the issues seem exaggerated. I understand that there are some who have big issues, but that percentage is small compared to the number built.

I hate when I hear....I paid $300K, $400K etc, and I expect everything to be perfect. When you bought your $500K home, was it perfect, no, you had things touched up or repaired. Now take that home, put it on wheels and run it down the road, banging the heck out of it.

Lastly....many of the those on here (Forum in general) rattle on about all the problems of a new RV, they do so because they can't afford one. Rather than say, they bought what they can afford, they regurgitate the line about new problems and depreciation.

We've bought all of our RV's new through the years and loved them. We were lucky and could afford to do so. I don't put any stock in the won't buy new stories, as those then buy old with similar problems.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
X2 Dutch Star Don!

As a general contractor building custom homes many years ago, I totally agree. Perfection does not exist when humans are involved. Even though my Newmar has its share of problems, some of which I am still dealing with, I would still pick Newmar again in a heartbeat. I absolutely feel that it is the best motorhome you can buy based on price, quality, and features.

As for the "buy used only" crowd, go for it. I have to say though, that my friend that sells used coaches for a living, counsels to only buy new. He sees the constant stream of units that have been traded in precisely because the owners couldn't ever get all the issues fixed, so they pass it on to someone else.

For me, my motorhome is just another tool to do things that make me happy! I do not worry that it's not a show vehicle.

PS I still need my delaminating windows fixed Newmar!
tqqest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:00 AM   #12

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Bought a 2018 DSDP June 2018. Very few issues. The only main issue now the dash air is not work.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:04 AM   #13

X3 Dutchsrar Dan! I too understand and sympathize with folks who have major problems but I always cringe a bit when I read about people who are on their second or third visit to Nappanee for cosmetic repairs. Read one case where a guy insisted the whole side be repainted because of some small flaw. My new coach had two pretty bad scratches that I asked the dealer to fix at the PDI, thinking that his body shop guy could touch them up better than I could. Alas, what actually happened was the salesman did it using a bottle/brush and did a much worse job than I’d have done. Argh! But the thing has to live in the real world anyway so I don’t worry about it. I have learned to enjoy doing repairs and modifications and I’m very happy with my Newmar.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
My 2019 was delivered in pretty good shape. Coachlight in MO did a good job making it ready for me. Much the same story with my 2015 Canyon Star I purchased from Tom Lindstrom.

Like others have said I learned over my 5.5 years to adjust my expectations. There will be things that need fixing. Some right away, some a few 100 - 1000s miles down the road. The coach will get dinged and paint chipped from road debris.

I have read some stories of folks with some really bad stuff to deal with right out of the gate and count myself fortunate that my 2019 issues are minor in comparison (televator squeak, dual pain window separation (twice now... different windows), wall bucked (twice... different location), a slide topper tension set so high it is pulling the trim off the slideout, hairline cracks up on the rear spoiler (lack of a better descriptor), failed Oasis Pump, failed Silverleaf component.

The only significant issues with my 2015 Canyon Star was small paint peeling on front cap, the cosmetic windshield gasket not sealing well against the window and replacing 2 AC units.

To help fix these items after deliver I have had solid service at Newmar and NIRVC - LAS. Not as successful or confident with Transwest - COS.

walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote