RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 PM   #1

Power incline bed, not working

Getting ready for the first trip in our new to us 2014 Canyon Star 3920...

It has the "power incline adjustable bed base" option. I have moved it before, but that was when I was inspecting the motorhome to buy it.

It's been sitting since I brought it home on March 1, 2020.... everything shut down before we got to take our first trip. We are going for as short, close 3 day trip this weekend, to try it out and get familiar with it..

I put the bedroom slide out after dinner, and was going to lower the bed (it's currently in the "up" position), because my wife wanted to make the bed. It won't lower to the sleeping position.

I can hear a click, when I push the switch up & down... but the bed doesn't move.

I'm looking for instructions/information on the manufacturer of the mechanism, but so far have not found anything in all the paperwork I got with the coach...

Anyone with any experience with this bed option, who makes it, any tips on trouble shooting, and/or know of a common issue with this option....?

I'm going to dive into it tomorrow, but any info anyone can share would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2020, 01:29 PM   #2

In case someone in the future finds this post and they have a similar problem... I got the bed incline feature working....

I started my trouble shooting with my digital Multimeter..

Power to the fuse.... check
Power after the fuse.... check
Power to the wall switch.... ceck
Power to the appropriate pole on the switch when pushed..... check

I may have missed a relay, based on the difference between the switch wire gauge and electric motor wire gauge.. In this case it wasn't an issue..

When the switch is depressed, the clicking noise I heard was coming from the electric motor, and th electric motor was getting power.... check

The problem was obviously the electric motor, and it wasn't blowing fuses so it wasn't shorted out or anything really bad...

I just rocked the switch back and forth a several times, just for a second at a time. Finally it made a clunk noise instead, of the "click" I've been hearing.. it seemed to the sound of the motor moving the frame..

The next press of the switch, it worked properly. I moved the bed up & down about 8 times since then, all is well... for now

Not sure if these just need to be exercised from time to time, if the bed base had a temporary bind in the mechanism, or if there is a dead spot on the motor (kind of like the old 60s vintage starters would get, and a hammer blow would fix)...

Anyways, all good for now... waiting for a reply form Newmar to my request for info on the brand/model of the bed incline mechanism, possible installation instructions, and/or a schematic on the system... next time I'll be prepared to swap the electric motor if need be...

NOTE: I see that according to this site, my question was posted today at 2:47AM and this 2nd post was made today at 6:29PM.. ????? Um, this happened over two days and it's 11:30 AM.... For the record, I wasn't up at 2:47AM trying to fix this... just sayin...
Old 06-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #3

We have a 2014 3921 with the same adjustable bed. Ours has quit working a couple of times and have been able to reset the control module by removing the connectors from the module, waiting a bit and reconnecting. This may or may not help for future reference. Glad you got it working.
Old 06-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz66 View Post
We have a 2014 3921 with the same adjustable bed. Ours has quit working a couple of times and have been able to reset the control module by removing the connectors from the module, waiting a bit and reconnecting. This may or may not help for future reference. Glad you got it working.
Thanks.....!

I'll throw that in my bag of tricks for the next "bed incline failure adventure"...

I've been working on so many things I don 't remember... is the control module at the motor, or somewhere between the wall switch and the motor...?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:52 PM   #5

On ours the control modules for the power bed and the bedroom slide are in the outside compartment under the bedroom slide. I believe the bedroom slide module and the power bed module are the same modules. One other thing to note: If the power bed or bedroom slide stop due to obstruction you will have to hold the switch down for several seconds until it starts moving again. It will have to go full up or down to reset the module. Same with the bedroom slide. I have learned this from experience LOL.
Old 06-25-2020, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by catz66 View Post
On ours the control modules for the power bed and the bedroom slide are in the outside compartment under the bedroom slide. I believe the bedroom slide module and the power bed module are the same modules. One other thing to note: If the power bed or bedroom slide stop due to obstruction you will have to hold the switch down for several seconds until it starts moving again. It will have to go full up or down to reset the module. Same with the bedroom slide. I have learned this from experience LOL.

Excellent info.... Thanks for sharing your experience...!!

Tags
power