Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM   #1

Power loss switching from generator to power inverter

Does anyone know if I should get a momentary power loss when shutting off generator.
I have the inverter on all the time.
Is this normal.
The only thing that irritates me about it is that my Dish Network DVR Powers down just for that Split Second then it powers back up sometimes I have to power it up manually it's just a pain in the butt do I need to get a battery backup for that
woodtouch6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same issue with Directv in the front TV. I have one of DirecTV DVR receivers attached to this television and as you mentioned it always shuts down when I shut down the generator and it switches over to the inverter.

I think it is the DVR that is causing the problem because I just noticed that the Directv receiver I use on the bedroom TV (it is older and does not have a digital video recorder inside it) does not shut down when the generator is turned off but continues to provide service no matter if it is switched to the inverter or when switched back to the generator.

I thought it might be the electrical plug in so I switched the two receivers and the DVR receiver shuts down no matter which location it's in and the older standard receiver keeps running in either location.

Hope that all made sense, I think we are stuck with the interruption but I will be monitoring this thread to see if someone has a fix.

Bob & Pearl
www.youtube.com/justpassingthru
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a DirecTv DVR on the front TV, and a standard receiver on the bedroom TV. Neither one shuts down when switching from shore power or generator to the inverter. No light flicker or anything.
Lee L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

no, you should not typically have any type of power loss when then transfer switch moves from Gen power to Inverter power - we've never seen it and we have three receivers and 5 tvs.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:39 PM   #5

FWIW There is always a power spike when the transfer switch contacts transit the space between line and generator. That is further modified by the phase difference between sources. The issue then becomes how your equipment handles that event.

FWIW 2 the inverter can be used in two ways. One is to pass through whatever is on the AC line. The other is to always invert as an uninteruptable AC source with a separate converter to keep the batteries charged. The result is that empirical "mine does or does not" means little or nothing unless adjusted for the exact same setup.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

FWIW There is always a power spike when the transfer switch contacts transit the space between line and generator. That is further modified by the phase difference between sources. The issue then becomes how your equipment handles that event.

FWIW 2 the inverter can be used in two ways. One is to pass through whatever is on the AC line. The other is to always invert as an uninteruptable AC source with a separate converter to keep the batteries charged. The result is that empirical "mine does or does not" means little or nothing unless adjusted for the exact same setup.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #7

If nothing else works, you could run the inverter output into a ups and then the receiver.
powderman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter, power