RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Power Problems

My last post was about frozen pipes last year and wanted to let everyone know that all pipes were fine but water pump froze.
Have been working since Oct to get jacks fixed. That is a whole other problem.
Had to get Coronavirus test. Negative, thank goodness.

On our last trip to Savannah in November, we had power from shore. Using 50 amp, breaker just flipped on block heater and all power out. Only happened twice. We had replaced the block heater switch just 6 months before. Then we found out we could not use the coffee pot, the portable electric heater, and the microwave at same time. It flipped block heater switch. You would think 50 amps would take care of that. Thinking the switch may be flawed.

Then we had everything go off except microwave, refrigerator and bedroom outlets. Called mobile RV. He was there 5 minutes and flipped the switch on the side of the inverter and everything worked fine. Cost $160 and I told him the switch was flipped.

Now we have been home since Mar 2, working with HWH trying to get jacks to work after replacing $754 power control box, brake pressure switch $30, $260 road service and on and on.

Was at the lot yesterday and turned on generator to bring air and DC power up along with engine running. Looking for ground to chassis from the touch-panel. Getting no power. Had the AC running on dash and it just cut off, came back on, and did this again for 3 more times. Finally it stayed on. Turned on house AC and it would not come on. Checked power and nothing on in main room. My husband checked the breakers and nothing was flipped. Then the refrigerator came on and microwave came on and power in bedroom. He checked the inverter. The switch was not flipped but flipped it off and back on just in case. No power to ACs, outlets. Turned off the motor. Turned off the inverter. Now no power anywhere and no breakers are flipped. Pulled my "Fonzie" maneuver on the generator switch by hitting the cover with heel of fist. Did not hear it switch. Still no power. Generator is not putting out power. It cranked right up and ran like a champ but did not do its job of producing AC power. Just serviced in December.

Guess it has something to do with the reversing switch but not sure. Don't know what is going on with all of the power systems we have. Ready to give up. Tired of paying for repairs and nothing gets repaired.

Hopefully, all of the tracing I have done on the jack system will lead to the problem. Found it was not getting chassis ground to the power switch on the touch panel. At least have a road to somewhere?

roadstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you checked your transfer switch for power from Gen?
If your Gen is not supplying power your roof top AC's, they will not work, they work through your 50 amp load center not from your inverter.
Older coach's need to be checked for loose wiring in the TS switch because fires can result. == New TS Switch.
You will find many answers within this link for different items in your coach, all that you have mentioned.
This link below in my signature is useful for older coach's also, Tech Info
We will find out your jack system problem after we find out why your Gen is not supplying power.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #3

Electric problems are a process of elimination, as, thank goodness what is described, is not a bad neutral, as that can cause problems.
A bad/loose connection will heat up, cool off, so it can be a yayyy, or darn, thing.
It needs to be trouble shooted, and all things ruled out, till the problem is found.
Doing high voltage, I found a red dot/lazer hand held thermometer, very handy to not have to not disturb a connection, and take temps of connections and stuff, as a connection that's hotter than others is overloaded or bad/loose.
If just diving in to it.
Its safest to not have any AC off, and one can check for loose connections.
A volt meter, is needed to test coming in and going out, for ac or dc.
Anything is possible, as I have seen a 2 year old house have a 200 amp main breaker, causing problems of part power. As they are sealed, its hard to see whats inside. The breaker was very hot to the touch and actually would heat up and give a bubble to the plastic and go back to normal, looking.

Just trying to help, feel free to PM me if needed. As electric talks, can get nasty on this sight.
Hopefully the other nice guys post will fix your problem, as lots of nice helpful people hear that have been through problems.

I did take me a wile to understand the word, flipped, as breakers trip.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi roadstar99,
In addition to what has been said consider turning off and then back on the breaker on the generator.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
Have been working since Oct to get jacks fixed. That is a whole other problem.
Now we have been home since Mar 2, working with HWH trying to get jacks to work after replacing $754 power control box, brake pressure switch $30, $260 road service and on and on.

Hopefully, all of the tracing I have done on the jack system will lead to the problem. Found it was not getting chassis ground to the power switch on the touch panel. At least have a road to somewhere?
Did you solve your jack issues? So was your original power control box good, just missing a ground? I've found that everyone should find the grounding point for the HWH pump/motor and take it apart, clean it and add a light coat of conductive grease to all the mating connections. Then add a separate ground from the back of the pump motor to the same ground point or drill another and attach the new ground wire to that point with a little conductive grease. Seems most HWH issues are caused by bad grounds to start with.
Have you been working with azpete (Paul) on the problems?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:39 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Power Problems

While looking for the ground wire for the jack control box, must have "tripped" the breaker on generator. Working great now with cold AC. However, AC in dash croaked. BUT found the ground wire from control box and followed to ground stud. It was loose .Had to be from when installed in December. Now getting voltage from touch panel to chassis. But jacks still do not work. Waiting for HWH to return call to determine what to do next. HWH called.. Ordering new touch pad. Will let you know.
It never ends!
Old 04-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #7

Another, quicker, source of HWH help is AZPete here on this site (his name is Paul). He works for HWH and helps everyone with a HWH problem here for free.

His contact info:

email me at pfmaddox@att.net,
cell is 602 549 3638
paul maddox
i do not solicit part sales, or service work on this forum.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Power Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Another, quicker, source of HWH help is AZPete here on this site (his name is Paul). He works for HWH and helps everyone with a HWH problem here for free.

His contact info:

email me at pfmaddox@att.net,
cell is 602 549 3638
paul maddox
i do not solicit part sales, or service work on this forum.
Thank you and let me tell you Paul has been contacted by me and my diesel mechanic. He got me home by helping me manually release the jacks after road service sent an incompetent mechanic who knew nothing about motothomes (his words) who took a hammer to the pump motor and jumped the motor with cables and declared I had a short in the motor. He has always been helpful but I fear the damage done to the touch panel and control box is more complicated than imagined. I am sure he will be called again after We replace the panel. Have been talking to Randy at HWH and he has been very helpful. He helped me troubleshoot the wiring to find why no power to panel, it turns out it did not have a good ground to chassis. Fixed that and still no power. Thus the replacing of the panel. Randy has kept in touch every day I called. So glad to have two nice HWH experts at my disposal.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstar99 View Post
It never ends!
No different than home ownership.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 05:11 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
No different than home ownership.
Agree a "home" does require maintenance and repair; however, the maintenance required and the potential for breakdown with the complexity of a DP motor home is significantly different.

Tags
ems, power, problem, problems