Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2021, 04:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Power steering hose

We were pulled in to get a wash before heading on down the road. While waiting in line, the steering wheel jurked hard right. I found I had blown a power steering hose. It parted right behind the pump. Has anyone figured a way to run a new hose to the front?
CLP4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2021, 05:11 AM   #2

Please tell us what coach and chassis you have.

Is the hose blown or is it the fitting on the end. MAY be able to have a new end installed or even a splice. Really depends on age and condition of the hose.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
2015 Dutch Star 4369 on a Freightliner chassis
Old 05-22-2021, 06:06 AM   #4

And, is the leak from the end fitting, where the end fitting attaches to the hose or the hose itself?
Old 05-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, spent the day getting it towed to Freightliner. The hydraulic fitting and the high pressure hose parted. The hose slipped out of the fitting that attaches to the pump. The hose runs through the rear bulkheads along the frame rail, back through the front bulkhead to the gearbox. We replaced the fitting on the old hose and it blew off 15 minutes after we got it going.
I don’t believe it was on right. I called a mobile mechanic out to remove the old one and crimp a new one on. He couldn’t get enough hose to reach his crimping tool. He installed one but used what looked like a cable cutter to put three crimps in the fitting.
After crawling all in around and under it I gave up. Freightliner service tech said it’s one of the most difficult hoses to get to.
I’ll let y’all know when I hear back from Freightliner on the quote to repair. I’m expecting $$$$.
Old 05-28-2021, 05:28 PM   #6

Hydraulic power steering hose 40ft long repair Newmar

New here... Just did this on the side of the road 2001 4095 Mountain Air spartan chassis, did it on the way home from it's purchase... There is a 40ft+ 3/4" double wire high pressure line from the hydraulic pump on the engine (8.3 Cummins in my case) to the steering... Mine rubbed the frame about 3ft forward of the pump... IF you can get to it... and IF you can find the correct fittings... and IF you have the right tools it's a 1 hour fix.... this is what you will need... IF you can find the hole/leak... in the original post his was the fitting at the pump... so what he would need is to have a 2-3 ft long hose made with the proper fitting crimped to the end that attaches to the pump and a male or female #12 fitting crimped on the other end... then he would need a 3/4" parker Hannifin "field applied" fitting for his existing hose... whatever male or female that would couple with his crimped in fitting, he would need a clean cut on the old hose small electric 4.25" grinder with a metal cut off wheel... cut old hose clean... then install your field applied fitting... it has a barrel that reverse threads onto the outer jacket of your old hose... then the new fitting screws into this... you will need 2 large wrenches or adjustable that open 1 1/4" to install this fitting and a strong arm... once installed you just couple the 2 hoses this is a fix that will outlast the coach... in my case I needed a male and female field installable fittings.. i cut out about 4" of old hose... IF i could have found the fittings it would have been a somewhat quick fix... but i wasted time looking all over LA (lower alabama) ended up the next day 100 miles away getting what i knew I needed (2 fittings) and 10 gallons of hyd fluid... once with the proper fitting it was less than 2 hrs... I'm anal about putting everything back exactly or better than it was... on mine there was no way to "pour" in the fluid... so it was a long funnel and red solo cups dipping from the 5 gallon bucket and dumping into the funnel ... wife& i moved 5 gallons in 10-15 min... I have no idea what a new 40ft hose would cost... but my cost for the 2 fittings complete was $150 (yes they are high) and 10 gallons of fluid ($90) and $40 for the 4.25" grinder and blades... dirty but not hard work... not what you want on the way home from a purchase... but no way anyone could have known... it was my get acquainted with the coach trip... i learned a lot fast... cheers
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, power, steering