RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Power to rear camera - upgraded system

Hello Y'all,

We have a 2004 Newmar Essex and i didn't like the fuzzy old factory Pioneer side and rear camera system so I bought new LCD system and have the front cameras replaced and working, new monitor installed in the dash and the rear camera installed but I'm stuck on trying to get power to it. I have a wireless system for the rear camera and I want to find where the cable on the old camera comes into the coach and get 12v to it. Can anyone help? I've tried to find a wire diagram but can't find what I'm looking for I would think it has to be under the dash with the cluster of A/V wires and into the hidden pioneer box but I've pulled all that out and can't see a wire that looks like the one feeding the camera. Any help or direction would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance!!
04Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2014, 09:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Would agree would have been supplied from Pioneer unit.
In the QT's #3 link on bottom is information about the Pioneer unit which may have a diagram or check this link 12v wiring systems found in QT's #3 also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Beast, what camera system did you purchase? I replaced my monitor which helped a ton. If you don't mind me asking where did you mount the new cameras?

Thanks Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 AM   #4

Steve, I bought a system from TadiBrothers, I was over at the Tampa RV show and they had a booth there. I bought a 7" monitor and with a little modifying on the dash bezel it fit in the same recess as the Pioneer. I mounted the side cameras same spot as the old ones and ran the video cable to those since it was so close to the monitor. The rear is mounted where the previous one was under the rear clearance light bar but I got wireless for that one since running a cable would be rather difficult. The wireless is supposed to be good up to 65' so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
Old 01-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #5

Thanks Beast. Hope you are successful with the rear camera
Old 01-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #6

Commercial Member

Beast,

If you can't find where the wiring for the old camera comes into the coach, you could check the tow plug... I think one of the wires there carries ignition-switch 12V power, so you might be able to tap into that to run power to the new camera.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #7

Great thank you! I did speak to Newmar today and they gave me the location of the wire, in the Mito box inside the dash floor. I found it but its an RCA connector so i just want to ring it out to make sure its the right one but I gotta get some wire to reach to the back of the coach. I'll let you guys know if it all works out. Thanks!! Beast
Old 01-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #8

Thanks Steve, I'm thinking of running all 3 cameras all the time with the spit screen rather than triggered. Any thoughts or comments about that? the existing system triggers the right and left camera only when you've decided to merge lanes or turn but I would like to know before that point if anyone else is beside me or coming up fast. When backing up i can just push the cam button and get a full screen. Only problem I see is night driving; not sure that i can dim it since it doesn't connect through the dash lighting. I have that problem with my Kenwood DNN770HD with GPS that I installed to replace the pioneer radio as well.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #9

I think it is a great idea Beast. I did not replace the existing panel, I added a 7 inch monitor that sits on top of the dash. In my case I split the existing video out and have it outputting to the original monitor and the new screen. I leave it on all the time and it doesn't seem to be overly distracting. I wanted to display all 3 as you are doing but couldn't get it done in time I had available. Let me know how it works out.

If I had the opportunity and ability I would mount 2 monitors near each mirror so that I wouldn't need to look in the mirror then turn my head to look at the monitor. I think it would be nice to look in one place to get all the views I need.

Steve
Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Thanks Beast. Hope you are successful with the rear camera
I had guy run a vedio cable from the camera to the over head tv , that provides a great view.
wwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #11

Wow that would be a view alright!

Tags
camera, power