Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #1

Powertech Generator coolant and hoses

I did some checking on my generator today. It only has 250 hours on it but due to age I want to change coolant and hoses if possible. I removed the front bumper. That gave me access to a front cover plate. Inside all that was accessible was what looked like an air filter canister and a couple of air filter hoses. I did find a bad breather hose that I can replace. Nothing even close to the radiator hoses or access to drain the radiator. I would be happy if I could just get the old coolant out but alas no access in sight. Would it be possible to get a small tube down the filler neck to try and siphon it out? I know it's a long shot but it looks as though the entire generator would need to be removed and I don't have the equipment to handle that so I'm guessing a competent shop might have 10 plus hours in this job plus parts. Any ideas?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 09:05 PM   #2

Here is a pic where the access panel behind the bumper is removed. You can see the bad hose on the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2533 (3).jpg
Views:	240
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	121082  
Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
I did some checking on my generator today. It only has 250 hours on it but due to age I want to change coolant and hoses if possible. I removed the front bumper. That gave me access to a front cover plate. Inside all that was accessible was what looked like an air filter canister and a couple of air filter hoses. I did find a bad breather hose that I can replace. Nothing even close to the radiator hoses or access to drain the radiator. I would be happy if I could just get the old coolant out but alas no access in sight. Would it be possible to get a small tube down the filler neck to try and siphon it out? I know it's a long shot but it looks as though the entire generator would need to be removed and I don't have the equipment to handle that so I'm guessing a competent shop might have 10 plus hours in this job plus parts. Any ideas?
First let me say you have my sincere sympathy. Why any mfg. would put a generator in without a slideout tray is beyond me. They have no compassion for the guy who has to service it.

I have the PowerTech 7000 in my Dutch Star but it's on a slideout tray. It has the 3 cyl. Kuboda engine. From your picture I can see your layout is different than mine. Mine has a drain petcock on the bottom of the radiator that you access from underneath. You will also have to have access to the radiator cap to refill the radiator. If you want to change the hoses you'll have to remove all the covers, both sides and top. If you have the Kuboda engine your oil filter is on the drivers side of engine. There's also a drain petcock on the engine oil you access from underneath.

Hope this little bit of info helps in some way.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
First let me say you have my sincere sympathy. Why any mfg. would put a generator in without a slideout tray is beyond me. They have no compassion for the guy who has to service it.

I have the PowerTech 7000 in my Dutch Star but it's on a slideout tray. It has the 3 cyl. Kuboda engine. From your picture I can see your layout is different than mine. Mine has a drain petcock on the bottom of the radiator that you access from underneath. You will also have to have access to the radiator cap to refill the radiator. If you want to change the hoses you'll have to remove all the covers, both sides and top. If you have the Kuboda engine your oil filter is on the drivers side of engine. There's also a drain petcock on the engine oil you access from underneath.

Hope this little bit of info helps in some way.
I can actually get to the radiator cap and the overflow tank. They are in the front. But for the life of me I can't figure out if it's possible to get the coolant out without removing the generator. I think the radiator is in the back but the 2 large covers on the side and top can't be removed without pulling the generator. I can get to the fuel, oil and air filter and have changed them all. I'm a little concerned with old coolant from 2002 even though the gen has only 250 hrs. I could live without changing the belts and hoses for a couple more years but really want to refresh the coolant.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #5

Quote:
I can actually get to the radiator cap and the overflow tank. They are in the front. But for the life of me I can't figure out if it's possible to get the coolant out without removing the generator. I think the radiator is in the back but the 2 large covers on the side and top can't be removed without pulling the generator. I can get to the fuel, oil and air filter and have changed them all. I'm a little concerned with old coolant from 2002 even though the gen has only 250 hrs. I could live without changing the belts and hoses for a couple more years but really want to refresh the coolant.
The radiator is in the very back. It's hard to believe they didn't put a drain petcock in the bottom of the radiator to drain it. Did they have a drain petcock for the oil drain underneath? My side and top covers don't cover the radiator, they only come to the radiator.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:32 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Your PowerTech generator manual can be found here: Manuals | Power Technology Southeast Inc

Good Luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaman52 View Post
Your PowerTech generator manual can be found here: Manuals | Power Technology Southeast Inc

Good Luck!
I have the manual. Unfortunately it's not much help as they don't consider the enclosures on these generators. I'm going out to the coach tomorrow and have another look underneath. My oil has a drain plug that's accessible on the bottom. The manual shows both a block drain and a radiator drain.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

I found the petcock for my radiator. It's in the very back (bottom) close to where the fuel lines come in to the unit. I also removed the small access panel on the bottom in the back that gives you access to the oil and fuel filter and shined a light up inside. I think I may have located the petcock for the block but unfortunately it's not accessible. There is an exhaust pipe that's wrapped in a special orange colored insulation that is snug up against it and no way to remove the insulation. The plan is to get as much coolant out of the radiator petcock as possible and then fill it. I will then run the generator and repeat a couple more times. Hopefully that will be sufficient. I was also able to get a peek at the belts and one of the hoses through the oil filter access panel on the bottom. I could not inspect them properly but what I could see looked in really nice condition (hose not swollen or dry). I'm going to gamble on them for now since changing would require removing the generator and with just over 250 hours I think I have a chance at running for a couple more years without failure. I am a little concerned about the petcock being rusted and breaking with I attempt to open it. I'll spray it with some lubricant and let it work for a few days. BTW I always forget which way opens the petcock. Clockwise or CCW? Anyone??
Old 03-11-2016, 08:21 PM   #9

Quote:
I found the petcock for my radiator. It's in the very back (bottom) close to where the fuel lines come in to the unit. I also removed the small access panel on the bottom in the back that gives you access to the oil and fuel filter and shined a light up inside. I think I may have located the petcock for the block but unfortunately it's not accessible. There is an exhaust pipe that's wrapped in a special orange colored insulation that is snug up against it and no way to remove the insulation. The plan is to get as much coolant out of the radiator petcock as possible and then fill it. I will then run the generator and repeat a couple more times. Hopefully that will be sufficient. I was also able to get a peek at the belts and one of the hoses through the oil filter access panel on the bottom. I could not inspect them properly but what I could see looked in really nice condition (hose not swollen or dry). I'm going to gamble on them for now since changing would require removing the generator and with just over 250 hours I think I have a chance at running for a couple more years without failure. I am a little concerned about the petcock being rusted and breaking with I attempt to open it. I'll spray it with some lubricant and let it work for a few days. BTW I always forget which way opens the petcock. Clockwise or CCW? Anyone??
The petcock opens CCW.

My hoses & belt still look good on a 2000 model. So not changing them either. There's not much strain on the belt since it only turns the water pump.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten-Red View Post
The petcock opens CCW.

My hoses & belt still look good on a 2000 model. So not changing them either. There's not much strain on the belt since it only turns the water pump.
OK. CCW it is. If I'm going to break something, I at least want to be turning a rusty old petcock the CORRECT way! Thanks for all the help Rotten. I was feeling lonely on this thread without your input .
Old 03-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
OK. CCW it is. If I'm going to break something, I at least want to be turning a rusty old petcock the CORRECT way! Thanks for all the help Rotten. I was feeling lonely on this thread without your input .
Your welcome. I don't think you'll have any trouble with the petcock, mine turned easily. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #12

Success

I got the coolant changed in the generator today. The petcock was not rusted closed! I plan to run it for a couple hours and then drain and fill 1 more time. Glad to know I have fresh coolant in the generator.

Tags
generator, power