Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

Precision Twin Temp issues

We have a 2010 Dutch Star DP 4386 purchased from an individual. Prior maintenance for the Twin Temp Jr is unknown. This unit is made to function as water heater and also for heating the coach. We have had some issues in the past with parts needing replaced. With the guidance of Gary at Precision Temp the parts were installed and the unit was performing as it should. However, we now are at the point we need a water tank and pump replaced and this is very costly. We are wondering whether to continue with our current system or is it maybe time to remove it and replace with a comparable type of unit. We do not plan to be in a climate that would require the furnace to work so the possibility of just a straight water heater is also being considered.

Anyone replaced their water heating system in their coach? If so, what system did you replace and are you satisfied with the results? Any info would be appreciated while we try to decide our next step. Thanks.
krzy parents is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #2

My Precision TwinTemp had it's fair share of issues. Since I do use the furnace from time to time I couldn't find (easily) a replacement that would use the existing in-house radiator fins. So I replaced the whole unit with a new TwinTemp that has the stainless steel coolant holding tank. That was more than two years ago and haven't had an issue. BTW, I had to clean out the coolant pipes that circulate coolant into the coach. Took all day and I got out pieces of calcified aluminum as big as sugar cubes.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

Our new tank is to be stainless also. We also found lots of 'crude' in the old tank from corrosion of the aluminum. Thanks for your good news with no more trouble!!! Glad to hear that for sure.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Anyone know where I can find tank installation walkthrough? I am ordering a new tank and though I would tackle the install myself.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:42 PM   #5

I did a complete replacement so it was just pull out and drop in. However, I imagine Gary would have instructions. On other parts I received from them there was always a document with complete instructions and order of install. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #6

call Precision Temp and ask for Gary. He sent me electronic copies of instructions with any part I needed to change out. Great customer service.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
to change the tank is pretty straight forward take pictures if concerned about where things go back.

I had a bad pump, Gary sent a new one while waiting I flushed everything out.

But couldn't flush the bottom of the tank 100% Gary wanted to send a new one for 800 or 1,000 bucks made out of stainless.

he said there will be a junk flushed out.

So i pulled the entire unit out easier to replace the pump that way to.

flipped it upside down ran the hose in all the opening crap did come out.

All is working good, he said Newmar uses the Jr. with one pump rather than the larger one with two. As a cost saving measure, but no longer use his.

I think they make a good unit about $3500-4,000 to replace.

when you refill takeyour time use the right stuff with distilled water.

Another thing Gary found is Newmar installed expansion tank about the unit.

all wrong.

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced my tank this past winter. Instructions will come with the new tank. Take pictures of wiring and plumbing. The switches will come with the new tank. You'll only need to wire the 110v electrical. I would advise pulling unit out of coach now if you haven't already and start removing old tank. I bought a couple of shark bite 90 degree elbows and riffed a by-pass around the unit on the freshwater to keep water in coach.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I spoke with Gary. The tank is 1400usd. Ridiculous in my opinion but I guess I have no choice. I did install a bypass valve , still need to be careful when using taps as there can still be contamination. I noticed there are no shut off valves under the sinks nor for the shower in the basement so I am going to install those when I get time.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
the whole unit is $3800
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Precision Twin Temp issues

I know! That's why I thought it was very expensive for just a tank.i am going to take it out and see if i can have it locally reconditioned.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #12

Tank vs. Full Replacement

The price differential is why I opted for a complete new unit. It was a drop-in replacement. Did put a shutoff valve for the propane but didn't think to do it for water. On the side note, I put shut-off valves in when I replaced the kitchen faucet. Not a lot of room under there (or anywhere else in a coach) but got them to fit.