Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Preventing slide topper damage in high winds

Anyone have a good idea or two about how to keep the slide toppers from flapping too much (and possibly tearing) in high winds? Our 15DS4369 has a 27-foot full-wall slide and the topper flaps quite a lot. I'm afraid of it tearing, and it's quite a chore to air up, jacks down, etc. to bring it in for a few hours and then reset everything.

My questions then are:

1) Is there a good way to prevent the flapping (I've heard of putting beach balls underneath it)?

2) Is it better if it is tightened? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #2

I used a , awning anti billowing strap on my 5er's 15' slide topper , pulled the topper tight against the top of the slide, worked for two snowbirding seasons in a very windy section of the Colorado river basin, often saw 45 MPH+winds , park had several pictures of trailers on there sides as a warning not to leave awnings out.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #3

High wind, and in particular, gusty high wind can cause damage to toppers. The only full protection is to retract the slide. I've done it and even have awoke and pulled it in during the night.

Peter
Old 09-07-2017, 10:19 AM   #4

I've read about but not tried inflated beach balls under the toppers.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

I tried air mattresses they blew out. I went to Harbor Freight and bought 3" wide cargo straps without the metal attachments. I put them over the toppers and attach them to anchors that screw into the ground using bungee cords and ropes. I watch the wind forecast and if it forecast to be above 20 I put them on. I have found the easiest was to put them on is to go up on the roof and drape them into place.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
Anyone have a good idea or two about how to keep the slide toppers from flapping too much (and possibly tearing) in high winds? Our 15DS4369 has a 27-foot full-wall slide and the topper flaps quite a lot. I'm afraid of it tearing, and it's quite a chore to air up, jacks down, etc. to bring it in for a few hours and then reset everything.

My questions then are:

1) Is there a good way to prevent the flapping (I've heard of putting beach balls underneath it)?

2) Is it better if it is tightened? If so, how do you do that?

Mike
I may not be able to offer a lot of helpful advice, but I can share a war story. While on a short excursion away from our coach, a violent storm came up and pulled the FW topper from it's roller housing and flopped it onto our roof where it punctured the roof membrane. Upon seeking advice from our insurance carrier and RV dealer on how best to proceed, we were advised to just cut the topper from the coach, pull in the slide, put a piece of duct tape over the roof hole and proceed home for repair. Repair estimate: $2600. We take it in for repair 9/18.

I don't consider myself experienced enough to offer credible advice, but as for me, I intend to endure the inconvenience of bringing in the slides if high winds seem likely.

RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	topper1.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	175831   Click image for larger version

Name:	topper2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	175832  

Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:16 PM   #7

following
deputybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

i've never tried putting anything under the slide toppers to create more tension, to abate flapping...

but logical thinking makes me think that doing so would just stretch the material over time, and cause premature replacement of the topper material....and also create a situation that would require always using the space filling devices, even when not windy, due to said stretching...

just a thought....
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #9

I cut ours off about 6 months ago when it started to rip. It's been nice and quiet. Thinking of leaving it off.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MikeGriffin,
My kitchen slide does not have a topper. It is left open. The rest of the slides are retracted when high winds are present.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
High wind, and in particular, gusty high wind can cause damage to toppers. The only full protection is to retract the slide. I've done it and even have awoke and pulled it in during the night.

Peter

I am in this category. I've have pulled in the slide during daylight and out of a sound sleep at night when the wind really picked up. If you find yourself wondering if there might be damage, then the prudent solution is to retract the slides.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Mike, why do you feel it's necessary to start the coach, air up and retract the jacks to bring in the FWS? Yes, Newmar has a procedure for slide operation, but that's just a general procedure so that people who are oblivious to the levelness of a campsite don't tweak a slide. If you're in a reasonably level site, no "out of slope" light, it's not going to do any damage to your slide to bring it in.

Heck, mine sits aired down in my back yard, no jacks and a slight forward slope and I extend and retract the big slide all the time for working and cleaning inside the coach.

Often when the winds get high, I just bring it in for a couple of hours and then extend it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

I agree with Don, The other day here in Nevada we had sudden strong gusts of wind come through and had no time to do the normal procedure of airing up. Brought all the slides in without any problems. If you are fairly level I see no problem with bringing the slides in or out.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #14

Back to the topic, I have used a nylon rope with a rubber bungee to allow some movement. Better option is to inflate some cheap beach balls after extending slides. Helps water runoff also. BTW Bullhead AZ can get very very windy!

Tags
slide, vent