Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #1

Problem Getting Dealer to do Newmar Warranty

Last fall before putting our 2008 Kountry Aire into storage for the winter, I took it to Bozeman Ford RV in Bozeman, MT to have several items repaired on it under warranty. They are (or at least were at the time - I didn't check now) an authorized Newmar service center.

Since a couple parts needed for the repairs had to be ordered from Newmar, and we were anxious to return to our home in PA at the time, the dealer said I could contact them in the spring when we planned to return to MT for the summer, they'd order the parts from Newmar and do the repairs then. They examined these items needing repair, and I believe they also documented them on a service order that they sent to Newmar for Newmar's advance information.

However, I just got off the telephone with Bozeman Ford who informed me they were no longer doing Newmar warranty work, because they had been stuck with thousands of dollars in uncollected warranties from other manufacturers that had gone out of business during this past year. The woman I spoke with on the phone apologized, and seemed quite familiar with Newmar (including their past layoffs), but said there was nothing she could do.

Sign of the times?

I can sympathize with the dealer's standpoint. I suppose could have offered to pay for the repairs, and then submitted them myself to Newmar for credit. However, since I already have a service appointment scheduled at the factory for the beginning of October, I'll try to get these items (of a more minor nature) added to our repair list then.

John
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM   #2

This doesn't sound good. This is how things started at travel Supreme and then Monaco
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't see anything in the OP about Newmar not paying, only other manufacturers not paying.

There have been no reports of Newmar not paying.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #4

When I spoke with Mr. Miller last Winter he asured me that Newmar would do its utmost to stay in business for many years. During our discussion he stated that one of the first indications that a manufacturer is having difficulty is if he is not paying his suppliers, and if he is not paying for warranty work. I firmly believe that the dealer in MT has not had difficulty with Newmar, but has been burned so badly by others probably cannot afford to wait the 30-60 days for the payment. I would call around and see if you can get the work done while you're on the road (we've had good service at North Trail in Florida, and at LaMesa in Tucson).
soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
When I spoke with Mr. Miller last Winter he asured me that Newmar would do its utmost to stay in business for many years. During our discussion he stated that one of the first indications that a manufacturer is having difficulty is if he is not paying his suppliers, and if he is not paying for warranty work. I firmly believe that the dealer in MT has not had difficulty with Newmar, but has been burned so badly by others probably cannot afford to wait the 30-60 days for the payment. I would call around and see if you can get the work done while you're on the road (we've had good service at North Trail in Florida, and at LaMesa in Tucson).
No, I don't think it was a problem they had with Newmar either. I'm sure the woman would have told me they had a problem with Newmar if that was the case.

We use our trailer exclusively, or nearly so, in MT. The only other Newmar dealer in MT is Bretz in Missoula, and I'd never take anything there for repairs -- I was there once for service and once was enough. I ended up going back to the factory after that visit to fix EVERY single item they touched!

John
Old 05-04-2009, 06:31 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Perhaps a stop at Newmar enroute from PA to MT is your best option;

Just a suggestion....Good Luck
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick & Pat View Post
Perhaps a stop at Newmar enroute from PA to MT is your best option;

Just a suggestion....Good Luck
I probably should have said that we store our RV in MT over the winter, which is where it is now, and use it there in the summer. In fact, it is just several miles from the dealer in Bozeman where I had hoped to get the service work done. We're planning to make a special trip back to the factory at the beginning of October, but then we'll be taking it right back to MT afterwards. Your suggestion would have been the logical solution otherwise.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
If the dealer is not willing to do Newmar warranty work I would look for another dealer. I just had a lot of warranty work done and our selling dealer had no problem with doing warrany work and getting paid by Newmar. (He could not say the same about at least two other manufacturers) Yesterday I just had another dealer do a small amount of warranty work and Newmar is paying that dealer. Get this--This dealer is not a Newmar dealer or service center. After talking to Newmar though he has the paper work to submit to become an authorized Newmar service center. Again, I'd look for another dealer.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
John
Get on the phone with Newmar ASAP and get the OK from them to extend the warranty work to Oct. Explain what has gone on. They have helped in this way in the past, but only with a phone call while still under warranty.
Joe

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by read & learn View Post
John
Get on the phone with Newmar ASAP and get the OK from them to extend the warranty work to Oct. Explain what has gone on. They have helped in this way in the past, but only with a phone call while still under warranty.
Joe

My warranty is good for another year, so that's not a problem.

I did call Newmar, and talked to Brenda yesterday. I suggested that I could get the work done by the dealer on my own, and then submit it to Newmar for reimbursement, but she said "why don't you just get it all done when you come to the factory in October." Since these items aren't critical to get fixed right away, I agreed to do that.

The finish coating is coming off both sink drain plugs in our bathroom and toilet room and they need to be replaced, and two bolts which hold a portion of our shower door need to be tightened (the entire shower enclosure has to be taken down to get to the bolts). Plus, a couple other items like these.

John
Old 05-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #11

October is a long way off.....I would get any work done as soon as possible. Ask the guys who owned new Travel Supreme, Country Coaches, Alpines and Monacos about warranty.
Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote