Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Question Problem with Dometic weather pro front door power awning

Hello!
Front door awning will not close the last 8 inches, right side at the end of awning the bolt looks like it had some stress. Any ideas? We are newbie owners for 3 months and can’t leave camp ground with awning like this.

And let me introduce us-Matt & Peggy Dittman, from Napa, Ca. We are on our 3rd month of ownership of 2008 DSDP, and as Led Zeppelin would say we’ve had nothing but “Good times, Bad times, you know I’ve had my share” (We Have). If you can help please -

Pditty
Matt & Peggy Dittman & Annie (our GSD)
2008 DSDP, toad: 2017 F350 King Ranch
“Thunder Chicken 2.0” 🐔
Pditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #2

I had a 16 foot patio awning stuck out about 8 inches also on a previous coach. I was able to squeeze it shut and put about 5-6 (24 inch )zip ties down the length of it til I could get it repaired. There were some gaps between the coach and the awning and I slipped them thru and pulled them tight. It ended up working for over 2000 miles till I got home. Don't know if you can get up to check yours but maybe this will help.

Good Luck!!!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Pditty,
AZ RV'r's post is what I have done when on the road until I can get it repaired. Get the longest and thinnest zip ties the store caries. You may need to put several together to make a loop. See where you can put a zip tie between the awning and the coach. The awning is spring loaded to the open position.
1. Start the first zip tie loop as close to the center of the awning as possible.
2. Put the first zip tie between the coach and the awning. Continue "chaining" them until they go around the awning.
3. Now push the awning in as far as you can. At the same time shorten the zip tie chain to fit snug around the awning.
4. Do the same thing for the front and back of the awning, if possible.
5. This will hold everything in place until a repair can be made.

The alternative is to remove the awning from the coach.
1. Extend the awning fully.
2. Look for screws in the awning back plate holding the awning to the coach.
3. At the rear of the awning remove the awning motor cover.
4. Cut the two power wires to the motor. Leave plenty of wire so they can be reconnected.
5. Once the screws are removed you should be able to pivot the bottom of the awning upward. The awning will slide forward on a tract until it is off the coach.
6. Now you have a fully extended door awning that needs to be pushed closed and zip tied for storage.

I've repaired mine several times. There can be several things causing the problem. One of the above mentioned processes will salvage your travels. Then when things are back to normal the awning can be looked at without being under the stress of being on the road.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Pditty,
AZ RV'r's post is what I have done when on the road until I can get it repaired. Get the longest and thinnest zip ties the store caries. You may need to put several together to make a loop. See where you can put a zip tie between the awning and the coach. The awning is spring loaded to the open position.
1. Start the first zip tie loop as close to the center of the awning as possible.
2. Put the first zip tie between the coach and the awning. Continue "chaining" them until they go around the awning.
3. Now push the awning in as far as you can. At the same time shorten the zip tie chain to fit snug around the awning.
4. Do the same thing for the front and back of the awning, if possible.
5. This will hold everything in place until a repair can be made.

The alternative is to remove the awning from the coach.
1. Extend the awning fully.
2. Look for screws in the awning back plate holding the awning to the coach.
3. At the rear of the awning remove the awning motor cover.
4. Cut the two power wires to the motor. Leave plenty of wire so they can be reconnected.
5. Once the screws are removed you should be able to pivot the bottom of the awning upward. The awning will slide forward on a tract until it is off the coach.
6. Now you have a fully extended door awning that needs to be pushed closed and zip tied for storage.

I've repaired mine several times. There can be several things causing the problem. One of the above mentioned processes will salvage your travels. Then when things are back to normal the awning can be looked at without being under the stress of being on the road.
I have a similar issue. I took my awning off and drove home. I am now ready to trouble shoot and repair the problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In my case I can not get it any closer than 6” from closed.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pditty View Post
Front door awning will not close the last 8 inches, right side at the end of awning the bolt looks like it had some stress. Any ideas? We are newbie owners for 3 months and can’t leave camp ground with awning like this.
🐔
Bummer. My front door awning is also not functioning. Because we rarely use it, and it's out of season for us, I haven't been very timely in getting it fixed. Ours has a circular cap on the front which, once removed, reveals a hex-shaped bolt head that fits a standard socket wrench. Using the socket, you can manually crank in the awning. I then tried extending it again. It went out fine, but once again, did not come back in as designed. I will take it in to our dealer for repair soon.

On a previous Newmar coach, we had problems with a large side awning not behaving. We used what we had on hand, duct tape, to secure it in place long enough for us to travel to a repair destination. I assume it worked pretty much like the folks above described that their zip ties worked. Zip ties would probably be preferable but we didn't have any available and we were out in the "boonies" and had to be resourceful with what we had on hand.

Hope you get it solved without too much hassle.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 PM   #6

I've made it a point to use the door awning nearly every time we stop just to keep it working. If it sets for a month, it's a toss up as to whether it will open on one side, both sides, or not at all.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic, door, power, problem