Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

Problem with HWH jacks not retracting

Hi all,
We were camping in Kentucky last week and had a jack issue. Our HWH panel was powered but the jacks were dead. I could not retract, level or extend them. I turned off all the power and checked the fuses, nothing, zero, the system would not work.

I then called HWH late in the afternoon and spoke to the owner Paul who walked me through the problem and how to retract them.

Paul diagnosed that it was a bad shuttle valve. In order to retract the jacks I needed to open a valve on the manifold to release pressure.

I did what he said but they still didn't retract. I figured that since the jacks only retracted via the springs and not hydraulic pressure I would start the coach to air up the system hoping that would release some of the pressure on the jacks, and wouldn't you know it, it worked.

I can now head back to FL.

Now the issue, I ordered a new shuttle valve and I know where it goes but boy, I'm just not sure how to do it and what needs to be removed.

Does anyone have any experience replacing this valve?

On a side note, with all the complaining with the lack of service these days I want to give HWH and Paul a positive shot out and thank Paul for taking my call and helping me out.

I plan on working on this tomorrow. I anyone want me to post pictures in case this happens to you let me know.

Safe travels,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #2

I have to wonder.. could the jack CYLINDERS be binding some how.. when coach airs down.. can you air down first then extend jacks.. ?

are your springs new..?

Hwh website and you can down load manuals there..
Did you use the tee handles on jack manifold ?
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
Old 10-01-2021, 04:22 AM   #3

It sounds like you were talking to Paul Maddox (Azpete on iRV2) - he is a field tech/Sales assist guy that helps out people on this and other sites. Nice guy and very helpful. His contact info is pfmaddox@att.net or call him at 602-549-3638.
Here is a link to the manual you should be reading ML47715 – HWH® Corporation Replacing the shuttle valve is very easy, it is installed on the manifold and has a metal pipe attached to it, When you get the new valve, you'll see it is easy. Just make sure the jacks are stored before replacing it.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 05:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
It sounds like you were talking to Paul Maddox (Azpete on iRV2) - he is a field tech/Sales assist guy that helps out people on this and other sites. Nice guy and very helpful. His contact info is pfmaddox@att.net or call him at 602-549-3638.
Here is a link to the manual you should be reading ML47715 – HWH® Corporation Replacing the shuttle valve is very easy, it is installed on the manifold and has a metal pipe attached to it, When you get the new valve, you'll see it is easy. Just make sure the jacks are stored before replacing it.
Thank you for that info.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donr103 View Post
I have to wonder.. could the jack CYLINDERS be binding some how.. when coach airs down.. can you air down first then extend jacks.. ?

are your springs new..?

Hwh website and you can down load manuals there..
Did you use the tee handles on jack manifold ?
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you
The springs are original and I do not believe it is anything other than the shuttle valve as once I bled the system and aired up the jacks retracted.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 05:57 AM   #6

Whenever my jacks act up, I extend them and clean them with WD40. That seems to work every time.
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Hi all,
We were camping in Kentucky last week and had a jack issue. Our HWH panel was powered but the jacks were dead. I could not retract, level or extend them. I turned off all the power and checked the fuses, nothing, zero, the system would not work.

I then called HWH late in the afternoon and spoke to the owner Paul who walked me through the problem and how to retract them.

Paul diagnosed that it was a bad shuttle valve. In order to retract the jacks I needed to open a valve on the manifold to release pressure.

I did what he said but they still didn't retract. I figured that since the jacks only retracted via the springs and not hydraulic pressure I would start the coach to air up the system hoping that would release some of the pressure on the jacks, and wouldn't you know it, it worked.

I can now head back to FL.

Now the issue, I ordered a new shuttle valve and I know where it goes but boy, I'm just not sure how to do it and what needs to be removed.

Does anyone have any experience replacing this valve?

On a side note, with all the complaining with the lack of service these days I want to give HWH and Paul a positive shot out and thank Paul for taking my call and helping me out.

I plan on working on this tomorrow. I anyone want me to post pictures in case this happens to you let me know.

Safe travels,
Definitely wear safety glasses and sturdy gloves when you first crack open the old valve. I have not looked at the schematics. If you accidently loosen fittings while the hydraulics are under load you can get a hard shot of hydraulic fluid that might go straight to your face.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
Whenever my jacks act up, I extend them and clean them with WD40. That seems to work every time.
Mine have never acted up and I do clean and spray them when I wash the rug a few times a year.

The problem was nothing worked with the jacks.

Safe travels
lenny-shawna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #9

I replaced a shuttle valve once and it was EZ - PZ.
Be sure to clean around the existing valve before removing it as you don't want to get any dirt in the system.
Unscrew the old - install & tighten the new one and you are done.
Cycle the jacks a few times to ensure any air is bled from the system.
its a good time to check hydraulic fluid level, with jacks (& slide if hydraulic) retracted and top off if necessary.
The HWH website has a description of Old & New style springs... if old style and you have any retract issues in the future replacing the springs is worth considering - they are not very expensive nor hard to replace (w a few tips / tricks available here on iRV2)
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Old 10-01-2021, 09:49 AM   #11

Your rig is getting close to the age where you need to clean & reattach the ground wire from the HWH hydraulic pump to the frame of the coach. Run out your Gen slide & go to the door side rail of the frame & you'll see the ground lug attachment. Unbolt it & clean it & the bolt & washers really good with a wire brush- coat them with dielectric grease & reinstall. I had the same problem at about 6 years of age on my 2005 MADP.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
Your rig is getting close to the age where you need to clean & reattach the ground wire from the HWH hydraulic pump to the frame of the coach. Run out your Gen slide & go to the door side rail of the frame & you'll see the ground lug attachment. Unbolt it & clean it & the bolt & washers really good with a wire brush- coat them with dielectric grease & reinstall. I had the same problem at about 6 years of age on my 2005 MADP.

Happy Trails
Well, I replaced the shuttle valve and hit auto level, the front jacks worked perfectly but the rear jacks did not extend and once again, nothing works. I cannot extend or retract anything.

Maybe it is a ground and I will check that tomorrow. I will look for that lug but I cannot visualize where it is. Your saying it is on the passenger side around where the door is located and I must extend the generator to see it.

That helps and I hope it is it.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2021, 09:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
Well, I replaced the shuttle valve and hit auto level, the front jacks worked perfectly but the rear jacks did not extend and once again, nothing works. I cannot extend or retract anything.

Maybe it is a ground and I will check that tomorrow.
If the motor is running, it is not likely the ground... The ground would affect the whole system, not just the rear jacks.

You should unplugged ALL of the connections on the control box, inspect and clean the pins (on both sides), and then securely reconnect the plugs? I like Deoxit contact cleaner for cleaning pins and connections.

I cleaned my pressure switches (one on each jack) too.

-B
Full time RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon - Harley FLTCR - 2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS - Also considering a Polaris General 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT
BrokeDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #14

Quote:
If the motor is running, it is not likely the ground... The ground would affect the whole system, not just the rear jacks.

You should unplugged ALL of the connections on the control box, inspect and clean the pins (on both sides), and then securely reconnect the plugs? I like Deoxit contact cleaner for cleaning pins and connections.

I cleaned my pressure switches (one on each jack) too.

-B
I had to disconnect the pins when I replaced the shuttle valve. I did not clean them as the area is very tight but I believe there is a spray made for cleaning electrical connections that I will buy.

There is no motor running or noise after the front jacks extended as everything else appears to be dead with the exception of the lights on the control panel as they illuminate but nothing happens.

Tags
hwh, jacks, problem